Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Iollain said:
Who do you want input from, people who support tongues over there, or people who usually don't here?

All input is welcome. This is no time for bashing on the faith. This is a request to help a fellow Christian, not time for a doctrine fight.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is there a specific language for speaking in tongues? What I mean is, do all who have this gift always speak in the same tongue? "For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries...He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself;" 1 Cor. 14:2,4. Please forgive the discription I'm about to use, does everybody who has the gift of tongues have to "babble" in the same way? Remember that Paul said that the one who speaks in tongues edifies themselves to God. (1 Cor. 14:4) And while we are at it, why do people always limit the speaking in tongues to the "babble" you hear in church and in prayers? Paul also said in 1 Corinthians 14:10-11 this: "There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification. Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me." Could not this particular passage be referring to one who has the gift of tongues but in a different manner. And by that I mean one who may travel to a different country as say a missionary, but yet be able to pick up on the native language so fast it seems so easy. Friend I really wouldn't worry about the language your wife seems to be using when she is "in the spirit" and "speaking in tongues." She is edifing herself to God, plain and simple. And why should we limit the language one in particular, who says that one who speaks in tongues has to speak in a certain specific way or language. When she is "in the spirit" praying and starts to speak in tongues, isn't it a language that only her and God understands? She is edifing herself to God. If it is in the church, is there an interpreter nearby to translate to the church what she is saying? There should be, that is what Paul goes further on to teach in 1 Cor. 14. Don't worry about it. As far as I know and been taught, that is how it is. My two cents worth.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.