Oct 8, 2007
✟7,875.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The liberal social policies coming from the Oval Office are disturbing. I pass on the following link in case some here would like to sign a petition against "hate crimes" legislation, nation wide abortion on demand, and for a Federal marriage amendment.

http://www.lc.org/

http://www.onenewsnow.com/default.aspx

Last edited:

Self Improvement

Jun 24, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
✟2,258.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: Risen Tree
Upvote 0

Canuckmom

Oct 8, 2007
✟7,875.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Why do you care? Aren't you in Canada?

Yes, I am in Canada- why should I care? I have family in the US. In Canada we already have the "hate crimes" law, and it leads to persecution of Bible believing Christians.

Upvote 0

soul_biscuit

Jan 19, 2009
✟15,476.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I am in Canada- why should I care? I have family in the US. In Canada we already have the "hate crimes" law, and it leads to persecution of Bible believing Christians.

I would be fascinated to learn how you think that "hate crimes" legislation leads to persecution of the majority religion.

I disagree with hate crime legislation myself, but I would still like to know.

Upvote 0

united4Peace

Contributor
Jun 28, 2006
Alberta
✟26,223.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private

How is this?? No one that I know is effected by any "hate laws"...infact the only thing I can think of are good things...No bigotry...No prejudice...
equality of sexuality...freedom of religion...freedom of speech...:clap:

Gosh I do love being Canadian :clap:

Upvote 0

soul_biscuit

Jan 19, 2009
✟15,476.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
How is this?? No one that I know is effected by any "hate laws"...infact the only thing I can think of are good things...No bigotry...No prejudice...

What I distrust about hate crime legislation is that it introduces the very discrimination that it is trying to eliminate. Under hate law, crimes are punished not based on their severity or on the damage they cause, but on their motivation. If you kill a man for his wallet, that is murder, but if you kill a man because he is black, that is a hate crime. It's based on the same superficial judgments as racism itself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What I distrust about hate crime legislation is that it introduces the very discrimination that it is trying to eliminate. Under hate law, crimes are punished not based on their severity or on the damage they cause, but on their motivation. If you kill a man for his wallet, that is murder, but if you kill a man because he is black, that is a hate crime. It's based on the same superficial judgments as racism itself.

No, if you kill a man because he is "black" it's murder, with additional charges.

And, where we have "hate crime" laws here guess what.. if you kill a man because he's white... it's still murder.. and there are still additional charges under the "hate crime" laws.

Upvote 0

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Wow ! Finally something on which we agree.^_^ Hate crime laws are laws against thought. It behooves me how we think we can criminaly penalize someone because of their thoughts.

If someone wants to hate someone else because of their skin color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability, thats their right. If they commit a crime against a person, we should be charging them with the crime, not charging them with a crime plus an added penalty because of our outrage that they didn't think the way we wanted them to think.

But Canuckmom is right. This is the type of foolishness that's gonna come out of an increasingly liberal White House and DC. Two days in office and this man has already agreed to open the door for murdering of babies as a population control.

Upvote 0

Self Improvement

Jun 24, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
✟2,258.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I see. You have a reason, just not a valid one. What does hate crime legislation have to do with persecuting Bible believing Christians?

Upvote 0

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Hate crime laws have been used to silence free speech and even the free exercise of religion. For example, a Pennsylvania hate crime law has been used to prosecute peaceful religious demonstrators on the grounds that their public Bible readings could incite violence.

One of the federal hate crime bill supporters admitted at one point that this legislation could allow the government to silence a preacher if one of the preacher’s parishioners commits a hate crime. More evidence that hate crime laws lead to censorship came recently when one member of Congress suggested that the Federal Communications Commission ban hate speech from the airwaves. In other words, if conservatives say stuff that liberals believe to be hateful, the FCC gets to control what can be said.

I think that conservatives need to get together and challenge the Constitutionality of such laws.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

united4Peace

Contributor
Jun 28, 2006
Alberta
✟26,223.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Hate crime laws have been used to silence free speech and even the free exercise of religion. For example, a Pennsylvania hate crime law has been used to prosecute peaceful religious demonstrators on the grounds that their public Bible readings could incite violence.

One of the federal hate crime bill supporters admitted at one point that this legislation could allow the government to silence a preacher if one of the preacher’s parishioners commits a hate crime. More evidence that hate crime laws lead to censorship came recently when one member of Congress suggested that the Federal Communications Commission ban hate speech from the airwaves. In other words, if conservatives say stuff that liberals believe to be hateful, the FCC gets to control what can be said.

I think that conservatives need to get together and challenge the Constitutionality of such laws.

It's how something is said that is "hateful"....
I don't have the right to go and run my mouth at people because of their weight, looks, race, or believes....
I do have the right though to say what I believe...
Its more or less common sence...just like with a child...
One doesnt say...

"Are YOU ever Stupid!! Your so lazy, nothing gets done around here!!"
Instead its...
"I don't appreciate what you did, I know you are much more intelligent and I would really like your help more around the house"

Words are a funny thing when used in different ways...
Even something with sarcasm can hurt very much...
Gosh even as a Mom Im trying to teach my children that they have the right to express themselves but to find a way to do so without hurting the person they are expressing themselves too.

Upvote 0

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
It's how something is said that is "hateful"....
I don't have the right to go and run my mouth at people because of their weight, looks, race, or believes....

YES you do. That's the beauty of Free Speech in the United States. You don't have to like what somebody is saying or HOW they are saying it. But they should still have the right to say it.

I do have the right though to say what I believe...

So what if I believe that fat people are smelly and I want to say so in public?
How about if I want to tell a really ugly lady that she looks like the bottom of a shoe?
What if I want to tell an Asian person that all Asians are stibgy?
Or what if I go up to a bunch of homosexuals and scream out to them that they are going to hell?

Those are all beliefs.

Hate crime legislation is just another way for the government to exercise control over us much the way Communism does.

Upvote 0

united4Peace

Contributor
Jun 28, 2006
Alberta
✟26,223.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
YES you do. That's the beauty of Free Speech in the United States. You don't have to like what somebody is saying or HOW they are saying it. But they should still have the right to say it.

So what if I believe that fat people are smelly and I want to say so in public?
How about if I want to tell a really ugly lady that she looks like the bottom of a shoe?
What if I want to tell an Asian person that all Asians are stibgy?
Or what if I go up to a bunch of homosexuals and scream out to them that they are going to hell?

Those are all beliefs.

Hate crime legislation is just another way for the government to exercise control over us much the way Communism does.

See now I disagree there...those are very hateful things to say to people...
If either of my children ever said anything remotley like that they'd be getting slapped upside the head!!
Yes it is their right if they dont like someone ...but they do NOT have the right to hurt someone's feelings...

Instead, they've been taught if they don't care for someone or for someone's believe's to just say so...

"I don't care to be around you at this time..."
"I don't care for your believes, so we'll agree to disagree..."

This is why we have a bullying Protocal at school because if people were allowed to go around saying what was on their mind in such hateful ways do you realize how many children would be scared to go to school or how many more shootings or threats there would be at the school?
By teaching our children to have respect and find other ways to say something that is less hateful we get rid of the bullies and get rid of the violence in the schools at a young age, not to mention the bullying of the workplace for adults and so forth as one enters adulthood.

Peace...and Godbless :)

Upvote 0

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
See now I disagree there...those are very hateful things to say to people...

So??? What does that mean?I can't say something just because somebody thinks it hateful? What are we supposed to do? Go to the playgrounds of America and start arresting kids for saying mean, hateful things?

It's free speech. Folks can be a shateful as they want. That's why the KKK can march and say what they want. That's why Westboro Baptist church can do what they do.

If either of my children ever said anything remotley like that they'd be getting slapped upside the head!!

It would be warranted. But you get to control your children. You do not get to control the thought process of everybody else.

Yes it is their right if they dont like someone ...but they do NOT have the right to hurt someone's feelings...

:confused: Yes they do. If they don't have that right, then somebody better arrest Judge Judy and all them other judges.

Instead, they've been taught if they don't care for someone or for someone's believe's to just say so...

"I don't care to be around you at this time..."
"I don't care for your believes, so we'll agree to disagree..."

Freedom of speech. You can say whatever you want. The next person doesn't have to like it. But you still have a Constitutional right to say it.

This is why we have a bullying Protocal at school because if people were allowed to go around saying what was on their mind in such hateful ways do you realize how many children would be scared to go to school or how many more shootings or threats there would be at the school?

Kids have been saying hateful things on the playgrounds for decades. Yall gonna start police speech at sporting events too cause I've seen some fans get quite ugly.

By teaching our children to have respect and find other ways to say something that is less hateful we get rid of the bullies and get rid of the violence in the schools at a young age, not to mention the bullying of the workplace for adults and so forth as one enters adulthood.

You can't make people like someone no matter how much you teach them. Thus the Israel-Palestinian conflict.

Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wow ! Finally something on which we agree.^_^ Hate crime laws are laws against thought. It behooves me how we think we can criminaly penalize someone because of their thoughts.

If someone wants to hate someone else because of their skin color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability, thats their right. If they commit a crime against a person, we should be charging them with the crime, not charging them with a crime plus an added penalty because of our outrage that they didn't think the way we wanted them to think.

But Canuckmom is right. This is the type of foolishness that's gonna come out of an increasingly liberal White House and DC. Two days in office and this man has already agreed to open the door for murdering of babies as a population control.
Motive affects the punishment.

Ever heard of a crime of passion? Why should we differentiate between first degree and second degree?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.