Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's entirely about manufacturing guilt Guilt is a great motivator - and means for obtaining submission.

The Bible is all full of sins. Supposedly all sin is equal in the eyes of God. Being a douche to your fellow man, being inhospitable, being jealous, etc...all of those are sins equally if not more important than any sexual sin (as they're mentioned far more often)...but yet at least here in America...sexual sin is pretty much what gets people motivated.

Why? Because some people aren't really selfish. Some people aren't jealous. Some people do treat their fellow man rightly. What ought be done with them? Surely you can't leave them feeling that they might be doing something right. How could you subjugate them then?

But sex...hey...we all want that. So how ought we frame it? Even if a thought passes your head over someone you're not married to - then you're guilty. Gotcha. You've got everyone, in fact.

I sincerely believe that's what it is. No more, no less.

Reactions: Mudinyeri
Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yeah, but with how it's applied, the damage is done.

Like, one of the defining moments in my life was when the pastor told us as kids that "sexual sin, including masturbation, is second only to murder in the eyes of God." That set forth a chain of events where most of my adolescence was spent riddled in guilt, fear and never ending internal conflict. Only when I finally said "screw that" did I finally get any balance.

But, I know I'm not alone. Heck, read these forums. They're riddled with people beset with weird anxieties about sex or the things they're feeling. I remember as a teen a buddy of mine noticed that another buddy of mine (son of a pastor) when he took a pee would grab a paper towel to hold himself with (don't ask me how he noticed...lol...teenage dudes...whatever) - and why? Because he didn't even want to touch himself.

That's the kind of dysfunction, to some degree or other, the Church instills into people.

Upvote 0

Mudinyeri

May 4, 2016
Nebraska
✟11,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I guess I was fortunate enough to leave that dysfunction in my rear view mirror. I'm fortunate that my wife has too.

Don't get me wrong, the church I grew up in tried its best to subordinate the teens who attended through guilt. It just never worked with me.

Upvote 0

Mudinyeri

May 4, 2016
Nebraska
✟11,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
lol I came to the decision of "screw this" at about 15-16. But, it did forever form and solidify my opinion on the matter.

I was in roughly the same place from the age of about 14 until I was 22 or so. Thankfully, like the prodigal son, I returned to a right relationship with my heavenly father.

Reactions: DZoolander
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Dave, while that can happen with some people, it does not happen with everyone who has sex. Additionally, that kind of connection can happen even with those who do not have sex. Examples - I had a very strong connection with my first husband like you mentioned with your FIL and with your half-sister. But I also had that kind of connection with a boyfriend (he died from brain cancer), as well as a pastor and his wife from years ago - and I never had sex with any of them. So I am still not convinced that sex creates ungodly soul ties.
I am not saying that sex is the only way to create so-called "soul ties." I am just saying that as I read the text of scripture, some kind of permanent bond occurs when a couple has sex; whether we are aware of it or not.

Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Mudinyeri

May 4, 2016
Nebraska
✟11,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am not saying that sex is the only way to create so-called "soul ties." I am just saying that as I read the text of scripture, some kind of permanent bond occurs when a couple has sex; whether we are aware of it or not.

I don't see anywhere in scripture where a temporary bond remains permanent when separated (as in Mark 10:9). If man can separate marriage through divorce (right or wrong), how much more so can man separate an even more temporary bond?

Moreover, the proponents of the soul tie apparently believe that the soul tie bond can be broken through their man-made process (I haven't entirely figured out what that process is) not described in scripture. Therefore, who's to say that I didn't break that bond through the process of confession, forgiveness and repentance (which happens to be described in scripture) decades ago.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Mud - I hear ya. While a physical covenant of marriage may be broken by a divorce decree, I do not know if that severs the connection we call a "soul-tie" or not.

And while your "process of confession, forgiveness and repentance" may sever it, we do not know that for sure; nor can we be sure the assumed process of confession, repentance and proclaiming the link severed in HIS name is effective either.

This seems to be one of those "see thru a glass darkly" issues that can only be cleared up with the Lord's return.

Upvote 0

Mudinyeri

May 4, 2016
Nebraska
✟11,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Agreed, Dave - to a certain extent. I disagree that we cannot know that the process of confession, forgiveness and repentance severs the tie. If my sin is cleansed and covered by Christ's sacrificial blood (1 John 1:9) it would seem that the cleansing would wash away the tie.

My $0.02, based on this discussion and my experience visiting the men's group, is that someone is trying to sell something - books, materials, conferences, etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If my sin is cleansed and covered by Christ's sacrificial blood (1 John 1:9) it would seem that the cleansing would wash away the tie.
If that were true - then if I killed someone, and later repented and confessed, covered that by the Blood of Christ, then that guy would suddenly come back to life? Or the kid I sired by fornication just disappears? (theoretically speaking - I never killed anyone or had premarital sex)

The sin part goes away but other effects remain.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've heard the term used by Charismatics. The concepts reminds me a little bit of Watchman Nee's concept of the soul in the Latent Power of the Soul, but I haven't heard of that group in China or the Local Church Movement using the term. The way terms are used in scripture, 'flesh tie' or 'body tie' seem like a more appropriate term considering that Paul warned that against having sex with a prostitute lest one become one with her in body.

I think the soul tie concept appeals more to some of the Charismatic and 'Third Wave' groups who are really into breaking curses or some of that so-called 'spiritual warfare' stuff which involves yelling at principalities or demons (or naming a spirit after a problem you see in a city or nation and rebuking a principality you name after it.) I wouldn't call it a Pentecostal concept, though there is a lot of interchange between Pentecostals and Charismatics, and some Pentecostals adapt Charismatic ideas. A lot of Pentecostals are skeptical of 'generational curse' teaching, though some would accept it.

I've heard the term 'soul tie' from many people, and never once have I heard it associated with the idea of giving away a piece of your soul when you have sex. A 'soul tie' is thought of more as something that is to be broken through decreeing it broken in Jesus' name, rather than a piece of someone's soul that is lost. Maybe the lost piece of a soul is something some of the sexual purity movement people say.

Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The stuff about how a tie ought be washed away is kind of moot - because there is no intrinsic tie. The only tie that may exist is one that we choose to believe is there/create ourselves through our beliefs.

Upvote 0

Mudinyeri

May 4, 2016
Nebraska
✟11,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If that were true - then if I killed someone, and later repented and confessed, covered that by the Blood of Christ, then that guy would suddenly come back to life? Or the kid I sired by fornication just disappears? (theoretically speaking - I never killed anyone or had premarital sex)

The sin part goes away but other effects remain.

Apples and oranges. There are, most definitely, absolute consequences of sin. I have yet to see it demonstrated that these soul ties are an absolute consequence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
the proponents of the soul tie apparently believe that the soul tie bond can be broken through their man-made process (I haven't entirely figured out what that process is) not described in scripture.
Isn't the "process" that one would need "deliverance" (from a qualified person, of course) if the tie wasn't broken? That's were my skepticism meter pegs. It just seems to be a means of making people in the church dependent on the church for something that was a manufactured guilt imposed by the church to begin with. IOW.....it's like a self-serving cycle (in my opinion).

Upvote 0

Mudinyeri

May 4, 2016
Nebraska
✟11,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Isn't the "process" that one would need "deliverance" (from a qualified person, of course) if the tie wasn't broken?

As I understand it but, apparently, the one person who could explain it to us doesn't want to do so publicly. :(

Upvote 0

Mudinyeri

May 4, 2016
Nebraska
✟11,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sabertooth? Can you share your information with us (publicly)? There's always our friend "Google" :)

I've done a fair amount of Google-ing. There are numerous purveyors of this proffering. I can't seem to figure out who "invented" it. (Hence, this post.)

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0