St. Louis, MO
✟3,959.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I recently came across a strange blog the author of which claimed that having a social security number amounts to the mark of the beast! Apparently we have to get rid of them, or we are literally hell-bound. Now why social security numbers, and not the equivalent numbers in other national identity schemes, I don't know, but one cannot expect consistency from these people.

There was also a hearty dose of chiliasm, and a predictable denial of the divinity of Jesus Christ.

I fear denying Jesus Christ far more than having a social security number. Whatever the mark of the beast is, it is powerless before the sign of the life-giving cross. Jesus Christ was, is and always will be the eternal word of God, amd that is my eternal social security.

So, what freaky doctrines have you guys found on the Net?

There are lots of strange blogs out there, a lot of people I think are trying to build their own cults.

One other thing that creeps me out is when we see ostensibly celibate religious leaders with an extremely buff, athletic appearance, which seems appropriate for an Abercrombie ad. What is it with hip psuedo-pastors?

I once met a man who thought that worship was dancing to the rock music his "church"'s "worship team" played, and who insisted the idea of ordination was unbiblical, despite not having read the book of Acts, by his own admission, in which St. Matthias the Apostle and the Seven Deacons are ordained by the apostles.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I recently came across a strange blog the author of which claimed that having a social security number amounts to the mark of the beast! Apparently we have to get rid of them, or we are literally hell-bound.
That was standard evangelical fare in the 1950s and 60s. It kind of fit the description of not being able to buy or sell (get a paying job) without that number.
Now why social security numbers, and not the equivalent numbers in other national identity schemes, I don't know, but one cannot expect consistency from these people.
Because the people that came up with that "doctrine" had no clue there was any kind of world outside the USA. (except the antichrist regime of Gog/Magog/Russia)

Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
That was standard evangelical fare in the 1950s and 60s. It kind of fit the description of not being able to buy or sell (get a paying job) without that number.

Because the people that came up with that "doctrine" had no clue there was any kind of world outside the USA. (except the antichrist regime of Gog/Magog/Russia)

And I suppose they had little or no knowledge of the persecuted Russian Orthodox Church.

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟130,041.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Mark of the Beast or not, I'd be happy to opt out of the entire Social Security program. Give me my 13 or 14% back and let me plan for my own retirement. If I don't have enough 20 years from now, it's my problem.
And if you don't have enough when you retire, you will look to the government for your support. That would be foolish.

Upvote 0

dia_liom

Senior Contributor
Jan 30, 2005
Kansas
✟20,043.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And if you don't have enough when you retire, you will look to the government for your support. That would be foolish.
Not at all. I'd much rather be pushing up daisies than relying on the government. I have no interest in living past 70.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And I suppose they had little or no knowledge of the persecuted Russian Orthodox Church.
They knew little of the Orthodox anywhere. They were too busy demonizing the Catholic church.

Upvote 0