So is Vatican II misunderstood and misapplied?

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
My cup of tea :D
I love going alone too, but like you I have a family to go with.

You have altar rails???
Lucky you !
I am lucky... We have a super, super great priest. Lutheran pastor who converted to be a Catholic priest, all because he has a serious belief in the Eucharist. He's getting old now. He's semi retried, so he spends his time in the confessional. You can go to confession before, during, after every Mass, every day of the week.

Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't have an issue with folks raising their hands and holding hands in Church during the Our Father. It is something that has popped up it seems organically and has spread throughout the Church in America. It isn't going to go away, and don't really see a reason for it to do so. You don't like holding hands then don't. It is as simple as that.

The biggest issue in my opinion is the obvious loss of reverence for the Blessed Sacrament that I'm seeing everywhere now. It growing like a wildfire. When I first joint the Church 20 years ago, everyone kneeled in Mass, when it was called to do so. When anyone approached the altar they kneeled and genuflected. Before they went into pews, same thing. Now in so many churches kneeling is no longer a practice, or it is only done during the Eucharistic Prayer. People who approach the altar if they do anything might nod their heads or do a slight bow. Not many even do that anymore when entering the pews. Its getting so bad that some parishes don't even have kneelers any longer. The Church I visited in Cincinnati, this past weekend, had nothing. Everyone stood when the Missal calls for kneeling. This is a horrible shame, and for folks visiting for the first time, it gives no indication that there is Someone very important in that building.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
To address fantine, specifically, it's okay to hold hands as a family like you describe but to mandate this hand holding thing as the whole congregation should be doing it, is not correct. It not a communal prayer, its a prayer to God. We should, IMO, be holding our hands up to God in unison with the congregation, with the entire Church world wide. It's not a kumbaya moment.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Does everyone realize that when receiving the Eucharist, the preferred and normal way in kneeling and on the tongue. The alternate way is standing and in the hand. This is another change people attribute to VII.
I think JPll called for it to be received on the tounge, at his masses, wasn't it only given on the tounge?

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,723.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If someone doesn't want to hold my hand, that's fine. I was not referring to "in the moment" situations. I meant if someone gets on a personal soapbox and starts lecturing me about what I do with my hands during the "Our Father," I would say, "I am fully participating in the prayer being said. There are some people who go to Mass and say their rosaries or private devotionals. Talk to them instead."

I am rarely in Church with strangers.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,100.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think JPll called for it to be received on the tounge, at his masses, wasn't it only given on the tounge?

I believe this is only true if you received the Eucharist from him.

Last edited:
Reactions: benedictaoo
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

s_gunter

Contributor
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
✟59,965.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Another snip at the rosary...so sad isn't it?
I don't think it was a snip at the rosary. I think it was a snip about the time/place of the rosary. While the church is definitely a place where you could/should pray the rosary, during mass is not the appropriate time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,723.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Now I've heard it all. Praying the Rosary during Mass would fall under the category of multi-tasking. When you're at Mass you should be praying the Mass with the community.

I don't pray the Rosary often, primarily at wakes. I still don't pray that Oh my Jesus prayer at the end of each decade because I'm not sure whether it's really part of the Rosary. When I was a child that was never part of the Rosary. I thought maybe it was a Southern thing, because I never heard it in the North. To tell the truth, I really thought, Oh, just what we need, a prayer about the fires of hell.

That doesn't mean I don't pray. I think everyone has favorite prayers. I do like the liturgy of the hours. I love litanies. I have daily devotional books I read. Lectio.

I understand some people love the Rosary. My mother had a great devotion to the Rosary. I have the rosary beads she prayed with every day. They are sterling silver hearts. I feel her presence through the beads, just as I feel my aunt's when I play her old sheet music.

Upvote 0