Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Casiopeia said:
Interesting...it seems to me that is EXACTLY what you are trying to do. If you will notice I said SOME. Before you are too hasty to throw out what I have to say..perhaps you could go over my posts again. I have spent months in the Unorthodox forum where we are constantly told that the only way to Christ is to be saved by believing on his name and NOTHING we can do in this life will help us. That we are only saved by our faith in the grace of God.

I have been exposed to evangelistic movements in where I was asked to come worship with a group at the Light House Pentacostal Church when I was younger and told that if I didn't believe in faith alone I was not believing in the true church of Christ. I was baptised Catholic as an infant..comfirmed Prebyterian and told by the First Christian Church back home that if I wasn't baptised by immersion then I need to be rebaptised. My mother upon going to speak to the minister overheard his wife on the phone talking about me to someone saying how sad it was I wasn't being raised in a good Christian home. My mother was in tears for DAYS. Now, those are TWO examples. I personally have been harrassed and nagged to death and if you want to say that is a strawman you go right ahead. In my opinion you are speaking nonsense and don't understand the construction of a strawman argument.

I have said NOTHING here out of order. I merely appealing to others that when we speak of Christianity we do so without offence. Kindly stop picking apart something I have said and using it to accuse me of something I am NOT doing. That is a strawman.

Cheers

Note the final passage you quoted. I said unless you are citing instances. You're not. Your playing for some type of rebuttal of something not stated (or more precisely quoted).

It's akin to me saying "I've heard some Muslims believe such and such..." and then deconstructing that. The first question you'd ask is "Where have they said this?" or "Who has said this?"

I would agree that if people are saying these things that they are wrong. But I've only got your say-so.

Upvote 0

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Feb 5, 2005
Wasatch Mountains
✟15,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Montalban said:
Note the final passage you quoted. I said unless you are citing instances. You're not. Your playing for some type of rebuttal of something not stated (or more precisely quoted).

It's akin to me saying "I've heard some Muslims believe such and such..." and then deconstructing that. The first question you'd ask is "Where have they said this?" or "Who has said this?"

I would agree that if people are saying these things that they are wrong. But I've only got your say-so.

Um...HUH? have you read everything on the thread? Okay listen...this is getting nowhere. So I am going to call it a day. Better luck next time...feel free to play on through.

Casi

Upvote 0

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Feb 5, 2005
Wasatch Mountains
✟15,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Eldy said:
I wonder if you would know what that even looks like.
like what looks like...incomplete posts that only insult? sure I do thanks :) And I certainly know what Christ like posts and attitudes are. Do you?

Upvote 0

Eldy

Aug 9, 2005
✟963.00
Faith
Casiopeia said:
like what looks like...incomplete posts that only insult? sure I do thanks :) And I certainly know what Christ like posts and attitudes are. Do you?
Yes I do, and it is not always the fluffy happy thing some in here want to try and make it. Sometimes the truth has to be told and if it offends, so be it. I wonder, have you bothered to look at the rest of the Bible?

Upvote 0

Welgaia

Knight of the Woeful Countenance
Jun 21, 2005
✟8,480.00
Faith
Seeker
Eldy said:
Yes I do, and it is not always the fluffy happy thing some in here want to try and make it. Sometimes the truth has to be told and if it offends, so be it. I wonder, have you bothered to look at the rest of the Bible?
All right, but you'll have to tell some truth first. :thumbsup:

Sooo.... Good luck MAXX! May your spiritual journey be a good one! :hug:

Upvote 0

sanaa

Sep 30, 2004
bombay
✟3,305.00
Faith
Hindu
selwyn u started a thread to clear up your misconceptions about hinduism but unfortunately you did not care to respond further . now ur repeating the same misconceptions again . let me see if i can help you

a) all religions are valid ways of reaching the divine but some will get you there faster
b)seffroth is not hindu , hes a hare krishna
c)satanists dont worship any literal being called satan , they worship themselves

Reactions: Cassiopeia
Upvote 0

gaijin178

Seeker
Dec 29, 2003
✟17,449.00
Faith
Buddhist
This is just sad, I have been following this thread today....and while some have had civil conversations about MAXX's spiritual path, most have not. MAXX obviously posted his change in path here because of a connection he feels with the people who he posts with. But unfortunately, most of that turns into debate about who is right and which doctrine of Christianity is most correct. It's becoming really clear to me that those Christians who want to only present negative opinions about one's spiritual paths say that they do so in love and concern, but never are able to show it in their post. MAXX found a spiritual path that is changing him, you may not think that it is a valid path but let him be on his own. I am sure that he is not even going to want to come near this thread anymore because of what everyone has posted. Much respect to those that just let it be. It gets really old when a lot of people are so negative about one's path and the only thing that they can say is that they are wrong and going to hell. I know that those who do this really are concerned for the folks that they say this to, but their attitude really turns them away from anything resembling their tradition. To preach the good news is required I know, but to preach it with hate and disrespect is not the way. And when others say that acting like this isn't Christ like, it's true, Christ acts nothing like many Christians. You know that thing you see on bumperstickers that says WWJD? I am going to make one that says, What would Jesus Not Do?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Gaijin said:
To preach the good news is required I know, but to preach it with hate and disrespect is not the way. And when others say that acting like this isn't Christ like, it's true, Christ acts nothing like many Christians.

While I agree with much of what you say, I would like to remind you that acting like Christ does not include accepting the truth of the Hindu religion, because Jesus said that we aren't supposed to commit idolatry.

Upvote 0

FadingWhispers3

Senior Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
✟19,344.00
Faith
Humanist
Politics
US-Others
It's becoming really clear to me that those Christians who want to only present negative opinions about one's spiritual paths say that they do so in love and concern, but never are able to show it in their post.

I agree. I think that many people who speak harshly do want the truth to be known and for others to gain what is better, but somehow their method is quite lacking. There is such a thing as grasping the mood and knowing the time and place. Certain people do not understand this.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.