Visit site
✟5,275.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Smoking? Let's see here... gross, hazordous to your health, unsophistocated, inconsiderate to those around you, stinks up the car, cancer, nasty teeth... I could go on. :)

In all honesty, if there was a pretty girl who was interested in me and I in her, if she smoked, it would be such a big turn off that I would probably not even consider dating her. Some might think that's a bit extreme, but it's that big of a deal to me.

Upvote 0

Tuffguy

Speed Racer
Jun 2, 2004
Farmington, CT
Visit site
✟4,610.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Kepa said:
those who oppose smoking must also oppose fast foods/coke/sunlight/computers/microwaves/cellphones/etc. All other things that increases your chances of harming your body/lessening your life span. Really. Because that is your arguments against it. It harms you. =]
Yeah, thats what i was thinking about this too. Everyone has their opinion but i would bet that lots of the people that blast smoking will do some serious damage to a bag of chips.

I smoke every now and then, but i also work out 5 times a week and have a diet that consists mainly of health food. I probally shouldn't smoke at all but i enjoy it once in a while.

Upvote 0

silwJC7

Mar 18, 2004
Austin, TX
✟218.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Kepa said:
those who oppose smoking must also oppose fast foods/coke/sunlight/computers/microwaves/cellphones/etc. All other things that increases your chances of harming your body/lessening your life span. Really. Because that is your arguments against it. It harms you. =]

You CANNOT really compare smoking to fast foods and other stuff because cigarettes are way more dangerous. Do you know that there are more than 100 cancerous chemicals that you can find in 1 cigarette?! and thats a fact. those other things that had been mentioned that "we" should be opposed to have only a probability of casusing damage around 20% to nothing (that's only my guess). But, cigarette has a very high probability of damaging your body (around 90%). It may have not written in the Bible anything about cigarettes since this is a new thing, but God specifically says to stay away from anything that can damage the temple of God (your body) and smoking cigarettes is one of the causative agents along with alcohol and drugs and anything that destroys the body.

Upvote 0

Tuffguy

Speed Racer
Jun 2, 2004
Farmington, CT
Visit site
✟4,610.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Of course you can compare bad foods to smoking. Anything that decreases your life span is bad for you right? There are plenty of other things out there that kill you then cancer. Fast foods are terrible on every part of your body. The partially hydrogenated fats are terrible on your heart and arteries. The sugar is horrible on your pancreas.
Smoking is just more documented.

Honestly, my theory on smoking is not so much the smoking that kills your but rather people who smoke have terrible eating habits and lifestyle and this combined with the smoking makes them a perfect candidate for cancers/heart disease.

Upvote 0

Kepa

Dec 27, 2003
Not here
Visit site
✟15,975.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
silwJC7 said:
You CANNOT really compare smoking to fast foods and other stuff because cigarettes are way more dangerous. Do you know that there are more than 100 cancerous chemicals that you can find in 1 cigarette?! and thats a fact. those other things that had been mentioned that "we" should be opposed to have only a probability of casusing damage around 20% to nothing (that's only my guess). But, cigarette has a very high probability of damaging your body (around 90%). It may have not written in the Bible anything about cigarettes since this is a new thing, but God specifically says to stay away from anything that can damage the temple of God (your body) and smoking cigarettes is one of the causative agents along with alcohol and drugs and anything that destroys the body.
The logic behind your argument is that you should not do/participate in/intake anything that will harm your body/shorten your lifes pan. All the things I listed DO do this. Infact breathing in todays polluted cities is harmful to your health.

I'm not saying that smoking is good. I'm saying that those who are argue against it with your logic must also argue against these other things I listed.

Oh, btw are you arguing against alcohol as well? (I just noticed your end comment) What about the studies that show (in particular the copenhagen heart study) that regular consumption of red wine (3-5 glasses a day) decreases the chance of dying by almost half. However, this study did not show that consumption of other forms of alcohol promoted the life-prolonging benefits that wine did.

Upvote 0

Pope Gonzo

Jul 14, 2003
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟16,540.00
Faith
Christian
I enjoy a nice cigar every once in a while.

I'm not a fan of cigarettes. For one, they just don't smell as appealing as cigars or pipe smoke. For two, there's the loads and loads of nasty stuff in cigarettes.

I agree with Jedi: cigarette smoking is the single most unattractive quality a woman can have. *shudder*

Upvote 0

El Guapo

Jul 7, 2004
Saint Anthony's City
✟284.00
Faith
Non-Denom
You can compare bad food to smoking much in the same way you can compare assault and battery to homicide. Both of the former are essentially bad for your body while both of the latter are violent, criminal acts. The fact of the matter is, while you can compare them it is truly silly to equate them. The hazards of habitual smoking are far worse than those of eating bad foods or other unhealthy habits many partake in.

Anyways, that said, I do not really care if people smoke. My ex-girlfriend smoked quite a bit and while I was certainly concerned for her health and thus made it clear that I wished she would stop, I saw and still don't see anything wrong w/ it.

Upvote 0

Kepa

Dec 27, 2003
Not here
Visit site
✟15,975.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
El Guapo said:
You can compare bad food to smoking much in the same way you can compare assault and battery to homicide. Both of the former are essentially bad for your body while both of the latter are violent, criminal acts. The fact of the matter is, while you can compare them it is truly silly to equate them. The hazards of habitual smoking are far worse than those of eating bad foods or other unhealthy habits many partake in.

Anyways, that said, I do not really care if people smoke. My ex-girlfriend smoked quite a bit and while I was certainly concerned for her health and thus made it clear that I wished she would stop, I saw and still don't see anything wrong w/ it.
The hazard of habitual smoking is early death. The hazard of habitually eating bad foods is early death.
Both promote heart disease.
The hazard of habitually using a cellphone is increased chance of cancer, leading to early death =]
Breathing in the city would be the same as smoking although possibly not to the same extent.

And besides, the point of my argument is not that they are equal in harm, BUT that they ARE harmful to you. And by the logic being used, the people who are adamantly against smoking should be adamantly against these things also =]

Upvote 0

Wolc

Dec 13, 2003
Sweden
Visit site
✟198.00
Faith
Christian
petedaman said:
wolc... this is a great site for setting you free..

its www. setting captives free. com (i cant post the address as i dont have enough blessings!!)
get on it! ther is a smoking course on ther to take you off it!

good luck and God bless

peter

Thanks... I'll have a look :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

silwJC7

Mar 18, 2004
Austin, TX
✟218.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Kepa said:
The logic behind your argument is that you should not do/participate in/intake anything that will harm your body/shorten your lifes pan. All the things I listed DO do this. Infact breathing in todays polluted cities is harmful to your health.

I'm not saying that smoking is good. I'm saying that those who are argue against it with your logic must also argue against these other things I listed.

Oh, btw are you arguing against alcohol as well? (I just noticed your end comment) What about the studies that show (in particular the copenhagen heart study) that regular consumption of red wine (3-5 glasses a day) decreases the chance of dying by almost half. However, this study did not show that consumption of other forms of alcohol promoted the life-prolonging benefits that wine did.

I don't want to argue with you because I think it's going to be pointless (meaning it's not going to end--there's just going to be something new to say and it's just another argument). The topic is about smoking not about other things--what's people's opinion about smoking--is it right or wrong. I don't think that it's meant to attack other people's take on that. I apologize about the first reply I made regarding your first post, I was just taken aback by your response because I took it as an attack. I shouldn't have replied back if I knew that it's just going to be another attack against me. So, have a good day

Upvote 0

Kepa

Dec 27, 2003
Not here
Visit site
✟15,975.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
silwJC7 said:
I don't want to argue with you because I think it's going to be pointless (meaning it's not going to end--there's just going to be something new to say and it's just another argument). The topic is about smoking not about other things--what's people's opinion about smoking--is it right or wrong. I don't think that it's meant to attack other people's take on that. I apologize about the first reply I made regarding your first post, I was just taken aback by your response because I took it as an attack. I shouldn't have replied back if I knew that it's just going to be another attack against me. So, have a good day
You may take it as an attack if you want, however that was not my intent. Just pointing out that with the logic being used it would follow that you'd be against all the other things I listed.

And the comment about the wine was merely meant to enlighten you.

Have a good day too

Upvote 0

Justin04

Feb 29, 2004
Sacramento
✟15,852.00
Faith
Christian
I'll have to disagree w/ most of you.

To me there isnt all that many things that are hotter then a girl smoking a good cigar.

I would NEVER smoke cigarettes (sp?) they are gross/addictive and are just not something i would EVER get into!

Yes I do smoke cigars about 3 a week. I also smoke a pipe about 2 times a week.

Upvote 0

Justin04

Feb 29, 2004
Sacramento
✟15,852.00
Faith
Christian
Kepa said:

I totally agree w/ you 100%!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tenorvoice

Give me Liberty ...Or a pie in the face
Feb 10, 2004
Way down yonder in the paw paw patch
✟22,387.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have said it once and I say it again......

ALL SMOKING IS HORRIBLE (coming from an ex-smoker) AN D I WANT TO SEE IT BANNED FROM EVERY SINGLE PUBLIC PLACE!!!!!!

If you want to kill your own body before it's time then do it in your own home and don't do it around me, or my family. We enjoy our air way to much!!!!

Upvote 0

heathen chemistry

Jul 10, 2004
✟716.00
Faith
Anglican
if smoking is bad, then how about fast food? should i avoid that, too? opinions? thoughts? dinner dates? :p

i for one enjoy smoking - granted that i'm young and my health is at its apex. but still, it's a good feeling when feeling really, really, really stressed. finals, art projects, misc. activities tend to drive people to cigarettes. i think if colleges didn't have these pesky exam thingys, the smoking population would go down by 25 - 40 percent. get em hooked while you're young.

Upvote 0

Tenorvoice

Give me Liberty ...Or a pie in the face
Feb 10, 2004
Way down yonder in the paw paw patch
✟22,387.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
1CO 6:19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?

1CO 6:20 For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body.

in a sence we are to be aware of the things that you put in and do to our bodies. this goes for food also. But Smoking is a sin just like any other sin and it is forgivable. The onle sin that is not forgiveable is the sin of rejection of the Lords Gift of Salvation.

I beg and plead with each and every smoker here ~~please find help in quiting. Your loved ones care for you too much to see you destroy your health. You may feel fine now, but I can talk from experiance, it will just cause you to not be able to do the things that you could in a short amount of time. I started smoking when I was about 14 years old. I quit when I was 25. I do not have the breathing power that I once did, I used to be able to jog, run, swim, for quite a long extended amount of time, now I can't. Yes It is getting better, but why but your body through this if you do not have to. the longer that you smoke the longer the recovery process that you will have.

I still stand by my saying that I would like to see smoking in public places outlawed, But yet I would like to see them repeal the "blue laws" also....oh well I can dream

peace

Upvote 0

Justin04

Feb 29, 2004
Sacramento
✟15,852.00
Faith
Christian
Tenorvoice said:
I beg and plead with each and every smoker here ~~please find help in quiting. Your loved ones care for you too much to see you destroy your health. You may feel fine now, but I can talk from experiance, it will just cause you to not be able to do the things that you could in a short amount of time. I started smoking when I was about 14 years old. I quit when I was 25. I do not have the breathing power that I once did, I used to be able to jog, run, swim, for quite a long extended amount of time, now I can't. Yes It is getting better, but why but your body through this if you do not have to. the longer that you smoke the longer the recovery process that you will have.
peace

Cigars and cigerretes are night and day.

Upvote 0

Kaonashi

If God is thy father, man is thy brother.
Jun 8, 2004
Denver
✟13,333.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I will never smoke after seeing my Grandfather waste away from smoking 3 packs a day.
I will never date girls who smoke either because my blind Prom date smoke and I felt like I was dancing with a ashtray all evening long.

Upvote 0