yaganon

Sep 15, 2009
✟15,123.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hi,
I'm 18 and a freshmen in college. I became a Christian because I'm afraid of going to hell when I die.

In the bible, it says that the moment you believe in Christ as your savior, you're saved. I was also told that salvation won't be taken away like how a college might revoke my acceptance for getting into trouble. In my human (limited) perception, this doesn't make sense whatsoever. Because it would mean that a good nonchristian would go to hell, whereas a bad christian would go to heaven. I'm not here to question that, because I've been trying to understand that for years, and I don't expect to be enlightened by my first post on this forum.

My question is about a "relationship" with god. I don't understand how one can have so much faith that he could be in a relationship with god. Personally, I can't wrap my mind around how I can be in a relationship with someone whom I never met, but only read about in a really long book - the Bible.

The way I see it, only happy people are true Christians. I, on the other hand, don't feel like god can hear me when I pray. I don't want to get into details, but in a nutshell, I always seem to get the short end of life. People always say that it's all part of god's masterful plan... so what about the people living in slums of third world countries fall in? What about the other religions? What about those 99% of the world population that's doomed for eternity because of the lack of devotion to Christ?

For me, some things just don't make sense in Christianity. And it's tempting to just stop trying to do the research and participate in the arguments and instead to use the time I have left on this earth to just enjoy life and pursue my goals.

I can't say that I'm a righteous Christian right now. I'm more of a college student christian with a mild urge to party and get a girlfriend. I mean that's what Everybody does - sin. For me, there's no room for being a devoted christian if I want to have fun with everyone else. I'm not drinking, partying or mating... but I've seen so many of my old high school friends change over the years.

If you bothered to read this far, I really appreciate it. Please leave feedback.

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟576,108.44
Faith
Messianic
Picture this... Here we are on the day when the Lord returns in all His Glory... and it is so overwhelming that there are people who are crying for the rocks to fall on them, because they can not stand to be in the presence of one so Holy. In that group are those who claimed to believe, and those who denied he existed and all those inbetween.

So how is one to stand before the Holy One of Israel? That is a subject of serious prayer and personal study with God as your teacher.

Upvote 0
F

freeport

Hi,
I'm 18 and a freshmen in college. I became a Christian because I'm afraid of going to hell when I die.

In the bible, it says that the moment you believe in Christ as your savior, you're saved. I was also told that salvation won't be taken away like how a college might revoke my acceptance for getting into trouble. In my human (limited) perception, this doesn't make sense whatsoever. Because it would mean that a good nonchristian would go to hell, whereas a bad christian would go to heaven. I'm not here to question that, because I've been trying to understand that for years, and I don't expect to be enlightened by my first post on this forum.

My question is about a "relationship" with god. I don't understand how one can have so much faith that he could be in a relationship with god. Personally, I can't wrap my mind around how I can be in a relationship with someone whom I never met, but only read about in a really long book - the Bible.

The way I see it, only happy people are true Christians. I, on the other hand, don't feel like god can hear me when I pray. I don't want to get into details, but in a nutshell, I always seem to get the short end of life. People always say that it's all part of god's masterful plan... so what about the people living in slums of third world countries fall in? What about the other religions? What about those 99% of the world population that's doomed for eternity because of the lack of devotion to Christ?

For me, some things just don't make sense in Christianity. And it's tempting to just stop trying to do the research and participate in the arguments and instead to use the time I have left on this earth to just enjoy life and pursue my goals.

I can't say that I'm a righteous Christian right now. I'm more of a college student christian with a mild urge to party and get a girlfriend. I mean that's what Everybody does - sin. For me, there's no room for being a devoted christian if I want to have fun with everyone else. I'm not drinking, partying or mating... but I've seen so many of my old high school friends change over the years.

If you bothered to read this far, I really appreciate it. Please leave feedback.

Only "happy people" can be with God? No. We have a full range of emotions, and that is good.

Heaven is not about loss of emotion... it is about perspective... high or low.

Heaven is high, earth is low, and death and Hell even lower still.

The Spirit of Christ saves people and works by God's own timing: 'you do not need teachers, for the Spirit teaches you all things'.

(1 John 2.)

(Also, look and find... Gospel of John...)

Upvote 0

chrissponias

Aug 19, 2009
Athens, Greece
Visit site
✟15,178.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
What doesn’t make sense for you in Christianity doesn’t make sense for God too, because His lessons were distorted by the human mind and its selfishness.

If there is poverty and suffering in our world, this is not God’s fault, but the result of human evilness.

If there are many religions, this is because the truth is too complex and only one would not be able to give to humanity the entire vision of reality, or to transform all sinners.

All religions were created by the same God, so that He could teach us the mystery of life and death through many ways.

If human beings provoke wars, lie, are immoral and violent, this is because they are far from God’s wisdom. They are slaves of their wild nature.

You shall not judge God based on human distortions. Even those that supposedly represent Him on Earth many times are hypocrites that have no real faith.

Don’t blame God for our sins. Try to learn what He thought us, without considering the distortions of those who try to adapt religiosity to their selfish ambitions as if they were God’s mistakes.

Upvote 0

Hog Red

Narrow Minded
Jul 29, 2008
Arkansas
✟8,133.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
hey if you want to party and do whatever the rest of the world is doing and dont want to worship God or fellowship with other believers now.... then why would you want to do it for an eternity in Heaven? Think about it....it aint about missing hell by the hair of your chin. that's just one of the perks. dont miss out on God's plan and desire for your life. My advice...get connected with a Christian organization at your school and find a good Bible believing church.

Upvote 0

JesusSavedme1

Mar 21, 2009
✟15,465.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
hey if you want to party and do whatever the rest of the world is doing and dont want to worship God or fellowship with other believers now.... then why would you want to do it for an eternity in Heaven? Think about it....it aint about missing hell by the hair of your chin. that's just one of the perks. dont miss out on God's plan and desire for your life. My advice...get connected with a Christian organization at your school and find a good Bible believing church.
:holy:

Upvote 0

DragsAndRags

Mar 13, 2009
✟15,139.00
Faith
Christian
Hello! Welcome to the faith!

I have a homework assignment for you. If you seriously want answers to your questions, get a Bible and read the book of Acts. It's about the early church that started after Jesus rose from the dead. It's about how the gospel was spread across the world, all starting from a few disciples. It's about how believers were beaten, whipped, tortured, and killed for their faith.

The very first martyr, Stephen, would have been around your age. He had his entire future ahead of him. Yet he was stoned to death. He boldly preached the gospel, knowing it would result in being killed by those who were convicted of their sin and didn't want to repent.

Jesus said he did not come to bring peace, but a sword. He didn't promise that He would make everything magically better for you. He isn't Santa Claus. Christianity isn't about making your life happy. Yet, believe it or not, you can have joy even under the threat of being stoned to death for your beliefs. That is what the book of Acts is all about. The believers still had joy even while they were being beaten.

Life has never been rosy for me, either. I grew up in a very messed up home. God provides in strange ways sometimes. It truly does take faith to trust in Him. His plan is not about giving us a pony or a Corvette. It's about getting the gospel to the lost. Look around your college campus. Most of those people are on their way to hell. And if you don't share Jesus with them, how else will they know how to be saved? But if you don't step up, God will send someone else, or minister to them directly Himself. He is not limited by you. But he wants to use you. He wants to transform your life like you never dreamed. He wants to make you more like Jesus. Those WWJD bracelets will start to mean a whole lot more to you.

We are no better than our Master. Jesus was beaten, tortured, and crucified. We need to be prepared to give up our lives to follow Him, with the faith that He will raise us up. Dying to yourself is not just a physical thing, although you need to be willing to do it for your faith. It's also about dying to your sin and your own desires, and replacing them with the desires of God. He who loses his life for Jesus shall find it. God will give you a new life in him, and will make you more and more like Jesus.

Whatever you do, don't use Christianity as an insurance policy. God wants your entire heart, not just lip-service. I know that there are many temptations on that campus. Get connected with other believers on that campus. Even if you can't find another Christian soul there, you still have Jesus. You can have a relationship with Him. Having a relationship with him is two-sided. When you pray, don't just talk. Listen. Listen to the impressions that the Holy Spirit puts on your heart. Always check those impressions against what the Bible says, and make sure those impressions do not conflict with what God's Word has to say.

Approach your relationship with God as trying to get to know Him better. He already knows you, through and through. Treat him as your Father and as your Friend. He wants you to get to know Him. You do that by reading his Word, and by praying. Look for the good in your life and praise Him for it. He gave it to you. His love will come to you in many ways that are easily taken for granted. Maybe it's in the form of a friend, or a dog, or a family member, or a total stranger who did something that blessed you.

God will watch over you. You may not see it yet. There was a time when I was 19 and trying to crawl through college when I thought I'd go homeless. Guess what? I never did! God truly provided for me as a Father would, though I didn't always see it right away. He provided in many strange ways here and there. He always gave me what I needed.

He WILL supply your needs. Have faith. But He won't always supply your wants. The good news is that as you get to know Him more, and submit your will to His will, that your wants will begin to change into his wants. Part of dying to yourself. You'll be a lot happier when that happens. That's where the joy comes in. Because once your desires become His desires, you will ask Him in prayer to fulfill them for you, and He'll do it! Why? Because it's His will! His will WILL be done! And you'll get to see it in YOUR life on a personal level.

I hope this helps. I'm sure you have a lot of questions about the faith. It's OK to have them. Seek out those answers diligently, and ask God to guide you to the right ones. Get into a Christian community where people can help you get those answers.

Upvote 0

Thir7ySev3n

Psalm 139
Sep 13, 2009
✟58,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In the bible, it says that the moment you believe in Christ as your savior, you're saved. I was also told that salvation won't be taken away like how a college might revoke my acceptance for getting into trouble. In my human (limited) perception, this doesn't make sense whatsoever. Because it would mean that a good nonchristian would go to hell, whereas a bad christian would go to heaven.

This would assume that there are any good nonChristians. Relatively good, perhaps, but I suppose pretty much everyone is good relative to Hitler or Stalin or any other of those mass-murderers out there that have set the new moral-relative standard of goodness in the nonChristian's mind (as they always like to call God unfair for judging them when they relate their moral character to that of Hitler's). But we aren't talking about subjective morals (which are really no morals at all) but objective morals, an objective standard by which we are to live that only God can set, because only a personal transcendent being (whom is God) can be the source of an objective moral authority. You say you are a Christian so I don't imagine there would be any need for me to elaborate on that any further.

Truthfully, there are no good Christians or nonChristians, the only difference between a Christian and a nonChristian is Jesus. But it is a very important difference because Jesus is the only sufficient payment for our sins, as no amount of goodness can ever earn us salvation on our own, it would be like tossing a cup of tap water into the sea and calling it fresh water, it just isn't enough. And there are two commandments that a nonChristian breaks from the moment they wake til the moment they go down to sleep, which is to "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength," (Deuteronomy 6:5) and the very first commandment that ""You shall have no other gods before me." So a nonChristian is sinning for as long as they remain a nonChristian. And if they were to live for 80 years, and even if there were to commit no other sin other than these two throughout there whole life, and each one was counted as one sin a day, that would be 58400 sins alone. You can hardly call that an objectively good person, unless you are refering to the standard of the world, which is pretty low.

Again the only (and most significant) difference between a Christian and a nonChristian is Jesus. Jesus is the only one who can pay our penalty because He is the only lamb without spot or blemish, and "all our righteous acts are like filthy rags," (Isaiah 64:6) and on the day of judgement filthy rags just isn't enough.

This is actually a tough question to answer because it is quite hard to describe what exactly a relationship with God is like to someone who has never experienced it fully. Our relationship with God is closer than any other relationship we could ever have in this life or the life to come, because He is the one who created us and knows us from inside out, every detail of our lives, every thought of our hearts and minds, every motive behind those thoughts and everything in-between, He even knew us long before He made the world and the men and women who came before us. He knows us better than we know ourselves. He lives within our hearts, so that everything about us is made known to Him, and if we seek Him diligently with all our hearts we will find Him, for He promises that "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." (Jeremiah 29:13) And then His thoughts and His heart will be made known to us through His Word that through the Holy Spirit we can come to fully understand Him and begin to think His thoughts after Him and desire as He desires.

I don't imagine this is quite a satisfactory answer, and as I said before I don't think there is any way to articulate what that relationship is like, it is something you have to experience for yourself. I can tell you how we can come to be in a relationship with God, but I am sure you already know that by now, and your question seems to be more of the nature of how it is possible for one to come to know God in the context of our sensual perception of God if we have only read about Him rather than how God says we can come to know Him. Sensually speaking, we can perceive God through His creation, the fine-tuning of the universe, miracles, and simply everything He has made, " For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature-have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse." (Romans 1:20) But this type of knowledge, though certainly valuable, alone is worthless, it is only head knowledge and does not bring about a change in the heart. It is plain that God exists and He is knowable, and has made Himself knowable, through Jesus Christ, a saving faith and knowledge that is of the heart, that brings about a true change of ones nature and allows them to begin a personal relationship with God.

This is untrue, as the previous Christian posters have already shown you. Happiness in the type of goal that if you go for it you actually miss it. In the Christian life happiness is not the goal, holiness is the goal, happiness is the consequence. The reason that Christians have the liberty in Christ to be happy in every circumstance is that we know in the end "all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28) We know that no matter what happens, because of what Christ did for us on the cross, that "neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 8:38-39) We have an eternal place in heaven with our LORD that no finite thing could ever take from us, so why be sorrowful for the finite troubles that come our way? Now of course sometimes we become weak in faith and forget God's promise and even sometimes become bitter towards God by our troubles, but when this happens it shows that we need to get back into God's Word, pray for wisdom, and believe in God and the promises He made to us that are "yes" in Christ, for "God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?" (Numbers 23:19)

This is why Christian fellowship is so vital, among other things. When you are a lone Christian, and one who claims to believe only to escape hellfire, and you are constantly in a community of nonChristians, it is easy for your faith to be weakened and your lack of knowledge of scripture makes you susceptible to demonic influence (not possesion, influence) because you have no foundation for your faith due to your ignorance (lack of knowledge) of God's promises. You must "take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one." (Ephesians 6:16)

It is hard to be a Christian in those circumstances, and if you are only seeking God with your head and not your heart you will never have a substantial relationship with Him and you are bound to fail. Find a Christian community to hang around and get them to help you grow in the LORD and find the answers you are looking for. Do not give up to serve the flesh. "Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever." Fight the good fight, God has already won and if you are at His side when the time comes, you will stand in victory with Him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.