Apr 14, 2005
✟1,143.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
....Then we can look at verses like John 3:36 which shows the wrath of God upon sinners.

There's a qualifier in John 3:36 regarding the wrath of God on sinners....what could it be? (Is it asking for too much to hope that the WHOLE verse could be read, or that the passage could be taken in :eek: CONTEXT :eek: ??)

Upvote 0

Willo

Reformed Bapist
Apr 5, 2005
Brisbane, Queensland
Visit site
✟2,432.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
There's a qualifier in John 3:36 regarding the wrath of God on sinners....what could it be? (Is it asking for too much to hope that the WHOLE verse could be read, or that the passage could be taken in :eek: CONTEXT :eek: ??)

The context is of one who believes not in Christ. Which is all those who are not regenerate.

Upvote 0

novcncy

Apr 14, 2005
✟1,143.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The context is of one who believes not in Christ. Which is all those who are not regenerate.

No, the context, the rest of the chapter, is about how much God loved the world (not just the regenerate) and paid the ultimate sacrafice to reconcile them to Himself.

God's just wrath is not incompatible with His love, btw. Just because He pours out His wrath does not mean that a) He is desirous of doing so, or b) that He does not love those who are judged. Which brings us to back to the whole Edwards thing. God "is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." 2Pet3:9

Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance? Rom 2:4

I'm done with this thread, but it has been interesting to me to see that Edward's theology is alive and well.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, the context, the rest of the chapter, is about how much God loved the world (not just the regenerate) and paid the ultimate sacrafice to reconcile them to Himself.

God's just wrath is not incompatible with His love, btw. Just because He pours out His wrath does not mean that a) He is desirous of doing so, or b) that He does not love those who are judged. Which brings us to back to the whole Edwards thing. God "is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." 2Pet3:9

Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance? Rom 2:4

I'm done with this thread, but it has been interesting to me to see that Edward's theology is alive and well.

Good Day, novcncy

We should rejoice that the Edward's theology is making a full come back, may God will once again bring an other "great awakining" to this land as He did with Edwards. Then by extention the whole earth. :prayer:

Mat 24:31 And he shall send forth his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other

Lord Jesus gather your own even now, in doing so forfill the purpose for which you were sent.

I have a thread on on 2 Peter I will bump it for you...

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0

Willo

Reformed Bapist
Apr 5, 2005
Brisbane, Queensland
Visit site
✟2,432.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals

Interesting to note that in the greek structure of the sentance it doesn't talk about God loving the whole world, but rather "How God showed His love."

Also, John 3:36 is after all the love references of the chapter, and is spoken by someone who was to point to Christ, so the question is, how do we respond to John 3:36 and the Wrath of God?

God's just wrath is not incompatible with His love, btw. Just because He pours out His wrath does not mean that a) He is desirous of doing so, or b) that He does not love those who are judged.

The Bible says that God 'hates' those who are not saved. (Psalm 5: Romans 9)

Which brings us to back to the whole Edwards thing. God "is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." 2Pet3:9

Context, Context, Context. Who was the Apostle Peter writing to here? (*HINT* Read the opening verses of 2 Peter). Also who is the "us" mentioned in v9? (Notice Peter is one of the 'us')

Amen, it is the kindness of God in being so mercyful that leads us to repentance. But remember that repentance is a gift from God. (2 Tim. 2:25)

It isn't Edward's theology, but rather biblical theology, and that is why it will never die.

Upvote 0

justMark

May 4, 2007
Richmond Hill, Ga, USA
✟7,698.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I must confess that I have never read or studies this sermon - only heard it read by another preacher.
The style and descriptions found in this great sermon are unique as compared to sermons I have heard. I wonder how congregations would react to this sermon being preached today. My guess is that in many churches, they would be looking for another Pastor...

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I must confess that I have never read or studies this sermon - only heard it read by another preacher.
The style and descriptions found in this great sermon are unique as compared to sermons I have heard. I wonder how congregations would react to this sermon being preached today. My guess is that in many churches, they would be looking for another Pastor...

Good Day, Mark

Edwards was removed from his pulpit in one of his churches...

Peace to u,

Bill

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FallingWaters

Woman of God
Mar 29, 2006
Maine
✟38,902.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I haven't read the sermon though I started to once.
Maybe it was over my head.
I don't have a problem fearing God.
I think we should fear his wrath.

When I was a child, I would avoid doing wrong because I feared my parents' wrath.
In my opinion, it's the same thing.

I have a Bible study teacher who is the most godly woman I know.
She is right up there with the best women teachers I have ever heard on Christian radio.
She has an understanding of God that I don't have.

She occasionally talks about being motivated by the love of God, rather than the fear of God.
I must admit, this idea is very foreign to me.
I don't know how to do it!
Perhaps it is because of the way I was brought up-
by fear, and not by love.

I am hoping to continue in her friendship long enough to learn how to be motivated by Love.

Upvote 0

Phileoeklogos

Alten Schule Baptist
Mar 8, 2006
OHIO
✟8,763.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Sinners in the hands of an Angry God, the condensed version, Sinners are not going to escape God's wrath, their doom is assured, they cannot escape it by their own means&schemes, Flee to Christ. That's the sermon in a very small nutshell, how someone could read that sermon and think that Edwards was a man that didn't know God is beyond me, He could have just as easily used John 3:16 & 3:36 as a basis for that sermon.

Upvote 0

FallingWaters

Woman of God
Mar 29, 2006
Maine
✟38,902.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Thanks for the nutshell version!

I remember reading that when he read the sermon his voice was quite monotone and calm,
yet people in his audience were screaming and what not, from conviction.
You would think that such a message would have to be delivered with energy and passion to get that kind of response.
I guess that goes to prove how anointed he was.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.