Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
From my blog...

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

From "Sinners in the hands of an angry God" by Jonathan Edwards

The greater part of those who heretofore have lived under the same means of grace, and are now dead, are undoubtedly gone to hell; and it was not because they were not as wise as those who are now alive: it was not because they did not lay out matters as well for themselves to secure their own escape. If we could speak with them, and inquire of them, one by one, whether they expected, when alive, and when they used to hear about hell ever to be the subjects of that misery: we doubtless, should hear one and another reply, "No, I never intended to come here: I had laid out matters otherwise in my mind; I thought I should contrive well for myself: I thought my scheme good. I intended to take effectual care; but it came upon me unexpected; I did not look for it at that time, and in that manner; it came as a thief: Death outwitted me: God's wrath was too quick for me. Oh, my cursed foolishness! I was flattering myself, and pleasing myself with vain dreams of what I would do hereafter; and when I was saying, Peace and safety, then suddenly destruction came upon me."

Download MP3 http://godsfreegrace.blogspot.com/

novcncy

Apr 14, 2005
✟1,143.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One issue I have with Mr. Edwards's sermon is that it protrays God as eager to execute judgement, to spill out His wrath, and that He will enjoy the suffering of the damned. That's not the God of the Bible, the God of mercy and longsuffering, the God who paid the ultimate price to salvage humanity.

Anyway, I'm not going on some sort of crusade here, but since you posted without any observable purpose, I thought I'd offer a similarly disembodied, yet topical, comment.

Upvote 0

seekingpurity047

Why am I not surprised
Apr 12, 2005
Brooklin
✟4,248.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
One issue I have with Mr. Edwards's sermon is that it protrays God as eager to execute judgement, to spill out His wrath, and that He will enjoy the suffering of the damned. That's not the God of the Bible, the God of mercy and longsuffering, the God who paid the ultimate price to salvage humanity.

Anyway, I'm not going on some sort of crusade here, but since you posted without any observable purpose, I thought I'd offer a similarly disembodied, yet topical, comment.

Novcncy, I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. I mean, God glorifies Himself, God worships Himself, etc. You say He's a God of mercy and longsuffering, but the Bible teaches that He's also a God of Wrath and Justice. "For the WRATH of God is against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of man..." Rom. 1:18, for example. God saves whomever He will, and He damns whomever He will.

Upvote 0

novcncy

Apr 14, 2005
✟1,143.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Novcncy, I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. I mean, God glorifies Himself, God worships Himself, etc. You say He's a God of mercy and longsuffering, but the Bible teaches that He's also a God of Wrath and Justice. "For the WRATH of God is against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of man..." Rom. 1:18, for example. God saves whomever He will, and He damns whomever He will.

Ahh, I didn't say that God wasn't a God of wrath and justice, because He absolutely is. That does not mean He's eager to see men suffer eternal damnation.

Upvote 0

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
novcncy: I think you possibly misread Edwards intention. It isn't to portray God as eager to condemn but to show how the strict justice of God cannot be trifled with. Justice demands satisfaction and to ignore that is to put your soul in the greatest jeopardy. He that believes not is condemned already and the wrath of God abides on him. The only way a sinner can hope in the love of God is to believe on His Son. Though I am not too fond of scare tactics in the preaching of the Gospel, it is the truth. Also the fact is that God has used both Edwards and that particular sermon to bring many to faith in Christ.

Upvote 0

KingofKings316

Need blessings to buy something? PM me.
Apr 18, 2007
✟158,426.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
god sends noone to Hell, people send themselves their. God gives everyone a chance and he is a kind loving God

Reactions: TwinCrier
Upvote 0

novcncy

Apr 14, 2005
✟1,143.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
novcncy: I think you possibly misread Edwards intention. It isn't to portray God as eager to condemn but to show how the strict justice of God cannot be trifled with. Justice demands satisfaction and to ignore that is to put your soul in the greatest jeopardy. He that believes not is condemned already and the wrath of God abides on him. The only way a sinner can hope in the love of God is to believe on His Son. Though I am not too fond of scare tactics in the preaching of the Gospel, it is the truth. Also the fact is that God has used both Edwards and that particular sermon to bring many to faith in Christ.

I think you misread MY intention, which was not to castigate either Mr. Edwards or his sermon. Neither am I attempting to read into Mr. Edwards' intentions. You are certainly correct in your observation of the fact that God has used this sermon very powerfully, and is a wonderful example that the Holy Spirit is able to use flawed men to accomplish His purpose. My only critique of it, from the perspective of summary and casual reading, is its portrayal of God as gleefully and eagerly sending men to perdition, which is not the case. Maybe that's (partly) why I'm not a Congregationalist. ;)

I too, am not fond of scare tactics, but it is an inevitable fact that those not found in Christ will be eternally judged, and most rational people find that prospect terrifying. This is why they deny or downplay it, and why they are afraid of dying. The stark realization of this terrifying fact is indeed an impetus for some to be saved, as Jude mentions.

Upvote 0

Hammster

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,737,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
If talking about Hell is a scare tactic, then Jesus is guilty. He spoke much more about Hell then Heaven.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seekingpurity047

Why am I not surprised
Apr 12, 2005
Brooklin
✟4,248.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
If talking about Hell is a scare tactic, then Jesus is guilty. He spoke much more about Hell then Heaven.

I agree, in fact, I think that Hell should be something that we discuss often anyways, I mean, it is a fact about unbelievers, correct?

Upvote 0

mannequinsmile

Jan 28, 2007
✟15,221.00
Faith
Christian
Just wondering what other works of Edwards have you read?

I read “sinners at the hands of an angry God”, and that is all I need to know to formulate an opinion. People with ideas such as this do not know God.

“The God that holds you over the pit of hell, much as one holds a spider or some loathsome insect over the fire, abhors you and is dreadfully provoked: his wrath towards you burns like fire; he looks upon you as worthy of nothing else, but to be cast into the fire.”

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I read “sinners at the hands of an angry God”, and that is all I need to know to formulate an opinion. People with ideas such as this do not know God.

“The God that holds you over the pit of hell, much as one holds a spider or some loathsome insect over the fire, abhors you and is dreadfully provoked: his wrath towards you burns like fire; he looks upon you as worthy of nothing else, but to be cast into the fire.”
Perhaps you will learn someday that in most cases that isn't all you need to know to form an opinion. At least not an honest one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Willo

Reformed Bapist
Apr 5, 2005
Brisbane, Queensland
Visit site
✟2,432.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals

How does that show that Edwards doesn't know God?

Upvote 0

mannequinsmile

Jan 28, 2007
✟15,221.00
Faith
Christian
How does that show that Edwards doesn't know God?

Growing up in the church, there was a stream of constant teaching of how wretched and disgusting we are in the eyes of the Lord. I saw my wretchedness, and understood this truth. Consequently, this common perspective of God didn’t hold any solace for me. It was an amazing revelation when I came to understand that God doesn’t abhor us. In fact, if you wish to understand how God feels toward us, read about what he did when he walked this earth as man. Now I know some Calvinists would tell me that God is selective in his love, but I don’t believe that. Either way, Edwards was wrong.

Upvote 0

novcncy

Apr 14, 2005
✟1,143.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

That's a good quote, because it's representative of what I was referring to. The Bible teaches us that God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son. God is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentence. If God loathes and abhors humanity, He wouldn't have bothered to reconcile us to Himself through His Son. God DOES loathe and abhor sin and self righteousness, but not man! What leaves man in imminent danger of hell is not God's wrath, but clinging to himself and his sin against all of God's miraculous provision to rescue him.

Upvote 0

IronWill

Reformed Godfather
Sep 13, 2005
Mississippi
Visit site
✟8,694.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Read the book of Psalms. God despises the wicked. He isn't angry at their actions, He's angry at them.

Reactions: TwinCrier
Upvote 0

Willo

Reformed Bapist
Apr 5, 2005
Brisbane, Queensland
Visit site
✟2,432.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Read the book of Psalms. God despises the wicked. He isn't angry at their actions, He's angry at them.

So true in Psalm 5:5 it says God hates the wicked.

Then we can look at verses like John 3:36 which shows the wrath of God upon sinners.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.