Sinfree for 24 hrs... Possible ?

J.A.I

. Galatians 6:10 .
Jan 28, 2004
✟10,903.00
Faith
Christian
I was in the shower, waiting for my deep conditioner to set in, and a thought came into my mind.

Is it possible to go a day sin free ? If you tried really hard, kept your mind stayed on the Lord and what we are here to do... would it be possible to go a whole 24 hrs sin free ? With the help of the Holy Spirit of course.

We cannot do good on our own. This I know.

This passage comes to mind....

Romans 7:15-25
15 For that which I do, I know not. For what I desire, that I do not do; but what I hate, that I do.
16 If then I do that which I do not desire, I consent to the law that it is good.
17 But now it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwells in me.
18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) dwells no good thing. For to will is present with me, but how to perform that which is good I do not find.
19 For I do not do the good that I desire; but the evil which I do not will, that I do.
20 But if I do what I do not desire, it is no more I working it out, but sin dwelling in me.
21 I find then a law: when I will to do the right, evil is present with me.
22 For I delight in the Law of God according to the inward man;
23 but I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin being in my members.
24 O wretched man that I am! Who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then with the mind I myself serve the Law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.

I dunno... just something to ponder... Because if one could go for 24 hrs, then that means it is possible to go a whole lifetime.

But then again, I think of Romans 3:23......
Romans 3:23
23 for all have sinned and come short of the glory of God

Hmm, does anyone catch my drift ? It's late so my thoughts may be scrambled.. lol.

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
(Hi! Not a fundamentalist, so I'm just asking questions here.)

I am very curious about the answers to this. When I was younger, one of the campus preachers I once saw was bragging about how he hadn't sinned in three months. In my head, I saw a little counter rolling over to ninety, and then resetting to zero... But maybe I'm just judgmental.

It seems to me like the question of whether or not one can avoid sins depends very much on how we think about sins. If there is a list of prohibited actions, simply declared "sins" by divine fiat, it may be quite possible to avoid them. However, if sins include our attitude towards, and relationship with, God... Then it seems it would be very hard for us to stay entirely free of sin.

A few of my own thoughts... It seems to me that, whenever I have started thinking I am getting away from sins, it is always possible for me to raise my standards further, and find more to work on. The chances are that, at any given point, there are people left that I don't really love, or even appreciate very much.

Upvote 0

BAChristian

Discerning the Diaconate. Please pray for me.
Aug 17, 2003
Indiana
✟13,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
seebs said:
When I was younger, one of the campus preachers I once saw was bragging about how he hadn't sinned in three months. In my head, I saw a little counter rolling over to ninety, and then resetting to zero... But maybe I'm just judgmental.
As a fundamentalist most of my life, I always believed the definition of sin to be:

"...a direct disobediance towards God."

Through the grace of God, I've overcome the judgmental part. For me, it was this thing where I thought that I never sinned as much as the next guy. It was kinda like the prideful, weird judgmental thing, yet it was silent for me. I never was some raging maniacal Bible Thumper (although I have been a Bible Thumper all my life...minus the raging part...heh heh...) with an inferiority complex heckbent on damning everyone to hell for drinking beer...ROFL.

I think I often saw myself as not committing any serious sins...and that was good enough to say that I didn't sin...I guess the concept of lesser sins didn't make sense for me, as it doesn't for most fundamentalists anyway...

Of course, not all fundamentalists believe the way you've described, seebs...nor the way I've described it...although I think, barring semantics, everyone would agree with what sin, itself, actually is...which is far from the intent of this thread...although I think I've summed it up nicely in the beginning of my post. (Which IMHO, covers sin, whether it be venial or mortal...of course, most fundamentalists believe that sin is sin -- there is no venial or mortal, which now means I'm just rambling off into blah blah blah...)

:)

Upvote 0

rooster

Here am I
Mar 8, 2004
Joo Chiat
✟665.00
Faith
Christian
J.A.I said:
I was in the shower, waiting for my deep conditioner to set in, and a thought came into my mind.

Is it possible to go a day sin free ? If you tried really hard, kept your mind stayed on the Lord and what we are here to do... would it be possible to go a whole 24 hrs sin free ? With the help of the Holy Spirit of course.

We cannot do good on our own. This I know.

This passage comes to mind....

Romans 7:15-25
15 For that which I do, I know not. For what I desire, that I do not do; but what I hate, that I do.
16 If then I do that which I do not desire, I consent to the law that it is good.
17 But now it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwells in me.
18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) dwells no good thing. For to will is present with me, but how to perform that which is good I do not find.
19 For I do not do the good that I desire; but the evil which I do not will, that I do.
20 But if I do what I do not desire, it is no more I working it out, but sin dwelling in me.
21 I find then a law: when I will to do the right, evil is present with me.
22 For I delight in the Law of God according to the inward man;
23 but I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin being in my members.
24 O wretched man that I am! Who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then with the mind I myself serve the Law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.

I dunno... just something to ponder... Because if one could go for 24 hrs, then that means it is possible to go a whole lifetime.

But then again, I think of Romans 3:23......
Romans 3:23
23 for all have sinned and come short of the glory of God

Hmm, does anyone catch my drift ? It's late so my thoughts may be scrambled.. lol.

Thats quite an evil conditioner! :D

Now pertaining to the question. I do think it is possible, for a person to love God so much that he really really hates sin.
But for most of us, we just have to make sure we are getting closer to that goal, to keep hunting the "little foxes", not remaining stagnant nor sliding back.

Upvote 0

Kelly

Dungeon Master
Mar 20, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟24,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I tried mentally identifying my sin for a day, and trying to get myself to get the thought or action away from my heart/mind/deeds.

"Lustful thought...STOP!"
"Angry at someone...STOP!"
"Pride in my accomplishments....STOP!"
"Envious of that guy's car....STOP!!!"

And that was on my way to work....

So I didn't murder anyone or cheat on my wife, but a myriad of 'little' sins - which are just as bad as the 'big' ones, were a constant challenge. Thank God I have Jesus.

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I sincerely doubt it. Reason being tha tif someone could be sin-free for a day it is theoretically possible to do so for a week or month or year or a lifetime. If such were the case then Christ died for nothing.

This is not to excuse sin but, rather, to illustrate our need for redemption and heighten our appreciation of the atonement.

Upvote 0

TwinCrier

Double Blessed and spreading the gospel
Oct 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟24,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
seebs said:
I am very curious about the answers to this. When I was younger, one of the campus preachers I once saw was bragging about how he hadn't sinned in three months. In my head, I saw a little counter rolling over to ninety, and then resetting to zero... But maybe I'm just judgmental.
Kind of sad that he went all that time without sinning then had to blow it on something a simple as pride. :doh:

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Knight said:
I sincerely doubt it. Reason being tha tif someone could be sin-free for a day it is theoretically possible to do so for a week or month or year or a lifetime. If such were the case then Christ died for nothing.

This is not to excuse sin but, rather, to illustrate our need for redemption and heighten our appreciation of the atonement.
Well, lets follow this. Do you think it's possible to be sin-free for five minutes? If five, what about ten? Following the same logic, then theoretically it would then be possible to be sin-free for a day, then a week or month...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Svt4Him said:
Well, lets follow this. Do you think it's possible to be sin-free for five minutes? If five, what about ten? Following the same logic, then theoretically it would then be possible to be sin-free for a day, then a week or month...
Let's not go too far with this... The OP was questioning about a day. I was merely trying to illustrate that if we seriously could stop sinning in our own strength then Christ's death was for naught.

Granted, following that logic your point is equally valid.

Upvote 0

EdmundBlackadderTheThird

Proud member of the Loud Few
Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
✟23,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I disagree with some of the points made here, we cannot in and of ourselves be sin free. But through the Holy Spirit why would it not be possible? Christ's death covered our sin prior to our being saved and that after we were saved. Why would believing that someone could be sin free POST salvation make Christ's death in vain? I do not think I have ever been sin free for a full day, but would stop us from praying for just that and having God answer our prayer?

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Note the key phrase in my last post. "in our own strength."

For the believer, I am not prepared to say for sure if one could spend 24 hours sin-free. Suffice it to say that I doubt it. As Christians we will always struggle with the flesh in this life.

The purpose of my point was to provide a bit of perspective.

Upvote 0

Gunny

Remnant
Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sinfree for 24 hrs... Possible ?

No.

14 For we have known that the law is spiritual, and I am fleshly, sold by the sin; 15for that which I work, I do not acknowledge; for not what I will, this I practise, but what I hate, this I do. 16And if what I do not will, this I do, I consent to the law that it is good, 17and now it is no longer I that work it, but the sin dwelling in me, 18for I have known that there doth not dwell in me, that is, in my flesh, good: for to will is present with me, and to work that which is right I do not find, 19for the good that I will, I do not; but the evil that I do not will, this I practise. 20And if what I do not will, this I do, it is no longer I that work it, but the sin that is dwelling in me. 21I find, then, the law, that when I desire to do what is right, with me the evil is present, 22for I delight in the law of God according to the inward man, 23and I behold another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of the sin that is in my members. 24A wretched man I am! who shall deliver me out of the body of this death? 25I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord; so then, I myself indeed with the mind do serve the law of God, and with the flesh, the law of sin.​

#_ftn1#_ftnref1Young, R. (1997). Young's literal translation (Ro 7:14). Oak Harbor: Logos Research Systems.

7:14–25 Some interpret this chronicle of Paul’s inner conflict as describing his life before Christ. They point out that Paul describes the person as “sold under sin” (v. 14); as having “nothing good” in him (v. 18); and as a “wretched man” trapped in a “body of death” (v. 24). Those descriptions seem to contradict the way Paul describes the believer in chap. 6 (cf. vv. 2, 6, 7, 11, 17, 18, 22). However, it is correct to understand Paul here to be speaking about a believer. This person desires to obey God’s law and hates his sin (vv. 15, 19, 21); he is humble, recognizing that nothing good dwells in his humanness (v. 18); he sees sin in himself, but not as all that is there (vv. 17, 20–22); and he serves Jesus Christ with his mind (v. 25). Paul has already established that none of those attitudes ever describe the unsaved (cf. 1:18–21, 32; 3:10–20). Paul’s use of present tense verbs in vv. 14–25 strongly supports the idea that he is describing his life currently as a Christian. For those reasons, it seems certain that chap. 7 describes a believer. However, of those who agree that this is a believer, there is still disagreement. Some see a carnal, fleshly Christian; others a legalistic Christian, frustrated by his feeble attempts in his own power to please God by keeping the Mosaic law. But the personal pronoun “I” refers to the apostle Paul, a standard of spiritual health and maturity. So, in vv. 14–25 Paul must be describing all Christians—even the most spiritual and mature—who, when they honestly evaluate themselves against the righteous standard of God’s law, realize how far short they fall. He does so in a series of 4 laments (vv. 14–17, 18–20, 21–23, 24, 25).​

7:14 the law is spiritual. I.e., it reflects God’s holy character. carnal. Lit. “of flesh.” This means earthbound, mortal, and still incarcerated in unredeemed humanness. Paul does not say he is still “in the flesh” (see note on 7:5), but the flesh is in him. sold under sin. Sin no longer controls the whole man (as with an unbeliever; cf. 6:6), but it does hold captive the believer’s members, or his fleshly body (v. 23; cf. v. 18). Sin contaminates him and frustrates his inner desire to obey the will of God.​

#_ftn1#_ftnref1
7:15 understand. This refers to knowledge that goes beyond the factual and includes the idea of an intimate relationship (cf. Gal. 4:9). By extension, this word was sometimes used to express approving or accepting (cf. 1 Cor. 8:3). That is its sense here, i.e., Paul found himself doing things he did not approve of.​

7:16 I agree with the law that it is good. Paul’s new nature defends the divine standard—the perfectly righteous law is not responsible for his sin (v. 12). His new self longs to honor the law and keep it perfectly (v. 22).​

7:17 no longer I who do it. The Gr. adverb for “no longer” signifies a complete and permanent change. Paul’s new inner self (see note on 6:6), the new “I no longer approved of the sin that was still residing in his flesh, like his old self did (cf. v. 22; Gal. 2:20), but rather, strongly disapproved. Many have misconstrued Paul’s comments as abdicating personal responsibility for his sin by embracing a form of Greek dualism (which would later spawn Gnosticism; see Introduction to 1 John). Dualism taught that the body is evil and the spirit is good, so its adherents sinned with impunity by claiming they were not responsible; their sin was entirely the product of their physical bodies, while their spirits remained untouched and unsullied. But the apostle has already acknowledged personal guilt for his sin (v. 14; cf. 1 John 1:10). sin that dwells in me. His sin does not flow out of his new redeemed innermost self (“I”), but from his unredeemed humanness, his flesh “in me” (Gal. 5:17).​

7:18 in me … nothing good dwells. The flesh serves as a base camp from which sin operates in the Christian’s life. It is not sinful inherently (see note 6:6), but because of its fallenness, it is still subject to sin and is thoroughly contaminated. my flesh. The part of the believer’s present being that remains unredeemed (see notes on 6:6, 12; 7:5).​

7:20 no longer I who do it, but sin. See note on v. 17.

7:21 law. Not a reference to God’s law, but to an inviolable spiritual principle.​

7:22 I delight in the law of God. The believer’s justified, new inner self no longer sides with sin, but joyfully agrees with the law of God against sin (Pss. 1:2; 119:14, 47, 77, 105, 140; cf. 2 Cor. 4:16; Eph. 3:16).​

#_ftn2
7:23 another law. A corresponding spiritual principle to the one in v. 21. But this principle, which Paul identifies as “the law of sin,” operates in the members of his body—that is, his unredeemed and still sinful humanness (see note on 6:6)—waging war against his desire to obey God’s law. law of my mind. Equivalent to the new inner self (2 Cor. 5:17; see notes on 6:6), which longs to obey the law of God (see notes on vv. 21, 22). Paul is not saying his mind is spiritual and his body is inherently evil (see note on v. 17).

7:24 wretched man. In frustration and grief, Paul laments his sin (cf. Pss. 38:14; 130:1–5). A believer perceives his own sinfulness in direct proportion to how clearly he sees the holiness of God and perfection of His law. deliver. This word means “to rescue from danger” and was used of a soldier pulling his wounded comrade from the battlefield. Paul longed to be rescued from his sinful flesh (cf. 8:23). body of death. The believer’s unredeemed humanness, which has its base of operation in the body (see notes on 6:6, 12; 7:5). Tradition says that an ancient tribe near Tarsus tied the corpse of a murder victim to its murderer, allowing its spreading decay to slowly infect and execute the murderer—perhaps that is the image Paul has in mind.

7:25 The first half of this verse answers the question Paul just raised (v. 24)—he is certain that Christ will eventually rescue him when He returns (cf. 8:18, 23; 1 Cor. 15:52, 53, 56, 57; 2 Cor. 5:4). The second half summarizes the two sides of the struggle Paul has described (vv. 14–24). with the mind. See note on v. 23. I myself. Paul’s new redeemed self (see note on 6:6). the flesh. See notes on 6:6, 12; 7:5. law of sin. See note on v. 23.

#_ftn1#_ftnref1MacArthur, J. J. (1997, c1997). The MacArthur Study Bible (electronic ed.) (Ro 7:23). Nashville: Word Pub.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
flesh99 said:
I disagree with some of the points made here, we cannot in and of ourselves be sin free. But through the Holy Spirit why would it not be possible? Christ's death covered our sin prior to our being saved and that after we were saved. Why would believing that someone could be sin free POST salvation make Christ's death in vain? I do not think I have ever been sin free for a full day, but would stop us from praying for just that and having God answer our prayer?
To be sin free isn't the same as not sinning. Can you not sin for five minutes?

Upvote 0

Asar'el

Jun 3, 2004
Christchurch, NZ
✟2,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My vote is no.

Now, of course, with God all things are possible; but I believe it's pride (and that's the original sin!) that often leads to such statements (evil conditioner indeed, lol).

At times it seems other saints do much better than us - sometimes it can look as thought they have an easy time not sinning; but each of us must need battle with sin, and it is not an easy fight. To love the Lord with all our heart, soul and mind, is no easy commandment; especially since the heart of flesh we have has an uncanny memory for the stone it was before the Lord changed it. And the mind ... how easy that 'sin which doth so easily beset us' enters it.

Maybe if we were unconscious (I suspect sleep won't quite cut it, lol) for 24 hours... :)

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
J.A.I said:
When I said sinfree, it does mean the same as not sinning... just like sugar free means no sugar.
Ok, I believe it is possible to go a day without sinning. But I do not believe it's possible to go a life without sinning. So how long can someone go without sinning? I have no idea. Every time I think I've gone for a long time, my pride wells up, and I have to start all over again...:cry:

Upvote 0