The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Speaking of Cardinal O'Malley, one of my wishes for our Church is that the attire of priests and bishops would be simplified. It seems, from my reading in the history of the Church, that the fancy and ornate vestments and attire were really borrowed from the Romans and other secular sources. They are not representative of Jesus in the Gospels or of the early Church.

Personally, I like the clothing that some religious orders, such as Capuchins and Franciscans, have. I have known some of each and really respect the simplicity of their attire. An example is Cardinal O'Malley, pictured below, who is a Capuchin.

I feel the same way about the vestments worn at the Mass. I ask myself what Jesus and his disciples wore at the Last Supper? Nothing like what we see today. I see ornate and expensive vestments as an affectation that detracts from the message of the Gospel and communicates the wrong impression about our Church.

Basically, plain and simple would be best.

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-16_20-11-52.png
    upload_2017-1-16_20-11-52.png
    704.1 KB · Views: 29
  • upload_2017-1-16_20-14-50.png
    upload_2017-1-16_20-14-50.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: archer75

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I agree with the op. One priest i know is always buying 'ornate' attire for the masses! All embroidered etc. He must spend a fortune on it all. Plus other things. Way over the top.

I must admit i think a Bishop all dressed up with his miter etc is massively over the top. It reeks of 'Look at me'. I am also one that thinks the Tabernacle should be right in the middle of the church, behind the altar.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,551.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
When a "good quality" cassock can cost a thousand dollars (no, I'm not exaggerating), something is very very wrong.

Beautiful vestments are something that's grown on me - I hated them at first - but beauty and simplicity don't have to be at odds!

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
I agree with the op. One priest i know is always buying 'ornate' attire for the masses! All embroidered etc. He must spend a fortune on it all. Plus other things. Way over the top.

I must admit i think a Bishop all dressed up with his miter etc is massively over the top. It reeks of 'Look at me'. I am also one that thinks the Tabernacle should be right in the middle of the church, behind the altar.

The uglier the better :)

Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When a "good quality" cassock can cost a thousand dollars (no, I'm not exaggerating), something is very very wrong.

Beautiful vestments are something that's grown on me - I hated them at first - but beauty and simplicity don't have to be at odds!
My concern is about the impression they give....that this person is special BECAUSE of their attire or vestments. Jesus was VERY special, as were the first Apostles, without special garb.

My other concern is about cost, as has been mentioned. There are many poor dioceses in the world, yet the bishops and all the priests are expected to have the full array of vestments for the Church year. What message does that give to those who see these "men of God" dressed for a pageant, rather than for sharing the Word of God?

The same issue applies to the type of housing and transportation of many in the hierarchy, but that has been changing, thanks to our Pope and the leadership of more enlightened bishops who are showing the way.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,551.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think, when used well, vestments should be making statements not about the identity of the priest but about the church as a whole. (I wrote a lengthy blog post exploring this idea here: Coming to grips with the dalmatic )

It should never be, "Look at me, I'm special." It should be, "What I'm wearing says something about who we are and what we're doing." But unless that's consciously taught, I'm not sure it's the way most people "read" it at all.

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Have I ever mentioned before that I actually was in the same room as Pope Paul VI's Papal tiara, the last one ever worn by a Pope, some years back? It was in a display under glass in the crypt at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, DC. The placard didn't say how they got it, which I expected it to, because the story was always that it was sold with the proceeds going to the poor. However, I suppose one can assume that perhaps it was on loan from it's private owner, or that someone donated it back to the Church at some point.

Anyway, my only direct commentary on bishop's attire is that the miters are getting too short. They should be taller. That's about all I've got. ;) I might bring back the white gloves, too.

I often wonder how liturgical vestments and altar dressings and incense or lack therefore square with the philosophical difference between a transcendent and an imminent God. Do elaborate "high church" type ceremonies with billowing clouds of incense and ornate altars and such point towards a transcendent God far from the people as it is commonly assumed that they do? With the sort of corollary assumption that simpler vestments and other trappings symbolize immanence?

I am not sure that we have to view things through that prism. In a way, the more ornate and otherworldly the appearance, smells, sounds, tastes, and feel of a ceremony and a church, the more they convey God with us- immanence. To me, the fewer of those elements that are there, the more they convey transcendence by implication- the spaces and the ministers feel ordinary, and God feels far away. There are days when I wonder if I am the only human being on earth who feels that way. ;) Everyone else seems to think it's the other way around.

In any event, I think another aspect of this that isn't often addressed, but should be, is preserving cultural traditions. The mass or the Eucharist is the worship of God, a Thanksgiving, and a commemoration and spiritual communion with Calvary, the Last Supper, the Resurrection, and masses throughout time and space, forward and backward, a communal meal and a sacrifice, but it's also, separate from or in addition to those religious contexts, a ritual that comes from the Roman Empire down through the middle ages and down onto us. We are not just stewards of the purely religious aspects of religious ceremony, we are also stewards of a living culture and tradition with anthropological significance. That's important to preserve, and we shouldn't give it up. That's not to say that there can't be a more casual mass, or chasubles stitched from cheap fabrics by little old ladies at their homes in poor parishes and dioceses if necessity or pastoral considerations call for that in certain times or places. I just perfer the "high church" smells, bells, and elaborate vestments. I love the ebb and flow of liturgical seasons. I wouldn't want to discard the rich liturgical traditions that has been handed down to us and placed in our care. I think there is even a case for reviving a few that we've neglected.

I know this doesn't seem like a straight-forward match with my obvious very progressive or liberal leanings on theology and various questions about inclusion and social justice. It seems like often progressives get paired up with low-church stuff, and conservatives with high church stuff, especially in Roman Catholicism, but what can I say? I am what I am. :)

I certainly am not arguing with anyone who has different preferences. This is just how I feel about it. It took me a bit of thought and a lot of beer to come up with this rationalization. ;) All I had before that was "I like ornate vestments and lots of incense, because I like them", but in true human fashion, I now have a complex lengthy set of after the fact reasons to use to justify my gut instinct. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,551.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I suspect, F&B, that actually the divide is not so much of transcendant vs. immanent God, but God in experience vs. God in the word.

Those who place high emphasis on God in the word - Scripture, sermon, and so on - will not think that various sensory elements add anything to our worship, and will likely think them a meaningless distraction. It's God in the rational, pre-frontal cortex.

But those who think we connect with God through other sorts of experience, through our senses, through our emotions, etc, will see all of this as enrichment and depth. God in and through the pre-frontal cortex but also at work in the deeper, more mysterious parts of the brain, if you like.

The way I've constructed that might show my bias, but in truth I think we need the best of both.

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think in a discussion on overboard vestments it's fair to consider the other end of the spectrum. For instance, some of the vestments at my parish are drab and boring while others look like an arts and crafts project. They're more of a distraction than anything else.

I'm also reminded of our local community of Benedictine sisters who provide for themselves by sewing vestments.

Like beautiful churches, I prefer beautiful vestments. For some reason, they lift my heart onto higher things.

Upvote 0