VVV

Sep 29, 2005
Northeast US
✟311.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Posted by http: (removed due to censorship guidelines)

Some politically conservative Christians say that America is "a Christian nation," and at this time of year, with the country saturated with Christmas imagery, it can seem that they are right. Are they? Is America a "Christian nation"? Should it be?

http: (removed due to censorship guidelines)http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/2006/12/is_america_a_christian_nation/

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

V writes:

Should the US be a Christian nation?

That is an excellent question.

Probably so, what is the alternative?

Buddhism is OK, but Buddhism offers little in charitable work as the Christians do.

"Real Buddhists" detach themselves from life to escape samara, begging for their food, not handling money, not reproducing. Not very practical for a flourishing US economy. Even if money be damned, we can't all beg off each other. And someone has to make the electric and process the human waste. Early Buddhists realized this problem and Mahayana and Pure Land Buddhism was invented to get around some of this problem.

See:

http: (removed due to censorship guidelines)http://jesusneverexisted.org/jne/forum/index.php?topic=508.0

In addition, the Christians can defend us in war, where the Buddhists would end up like the monks do in Burma.

Should our country be an atheist run country like China, Russia or Burma?

I think history answers that question.

Atheists like to fantasize what the world would be like if religion would never have been invented.

Sure Christians do bad things, so do all practitioners in other religions.

Taoists tell us - "fleas come with the dog." So we must accept that every man made religion has some problems and defects within it.

But many of these religious practitioners also do good things. You never see atheists taking up charitable works and feeding and clothing the poor in any organized way as Christians do.

There may be the odd atheists philanthropists here or there, but nothing organized like Christians charitable organizations. I wrote to the president of American Atheists, UK Atheists, the Secular Humanism Foundation, Sam Harris and others about this very topic...none had the courtesy to reply.

Shows how much interest atheists really have in humanity.

No, I prefer to keep things as they are and allow freedom for ALL religions, even with all their imperfections.

I believe religions do more good than harm.

I shudder to think what the world would be like if it was composed solely of atheists. But I also like to keep the atheists around to remind us all to come back to earth once in while and look for truth...especially when some of us start to kill in the name of God.

But as for the mix of spiritual based or atheistic persons in the US or the world? The facts show clearly that when people are devoid of religion they generally stink as humane humans.

See:

http: (removed due to censorship guidelines)http://jesusneverexisted.org/jne/forum/index.php?topic=509.0

A Hindu sage once told me -

"Just as water floes downhill without effort but requires outside forces and energy to make it move uphill. So the human consciousness falls to its lowest levels of the senses without effort and energies to make our consciousness gravitate to more than our base desires."

As such, religion and the search for spiritual values are the lesser of two evils with humans, if the other choice is a life devoid of spiritual values.

But spiritual values and atheists do not generally mix?

An anonymous atheist once told me:

"What is spirit or spirituality V? Without knowing what you mean by the word, one can't know what you mean. Why study something for which you not only have no evidence, but not even a definition?"

Yes, spiritual concepts are hard to define, just as the source of the wind is hard to define. Since spiritual matters deal with the unseen and the unknown, how can we define them perfectly?

If we could do that they would not be spiritual studies.

You can't see why one person is loving and kind and another person is a fiend of perennial shame, hate and destruction. Nor can you see what made the hate monger change into a kind and loving human.

We can describe spiritual concepts and the journey that made the change possible, but it is impossible to put our finger on it all exactly.

Spiritual growth is a journey that is a never ending, an imperfect process in this life. But just as we can see the effects of the wind, while being blind to its source; we can most definitely see the difference in people that incorporate spiritual values within their lives when compared to people that live a life devoid of any spiritual values.

"No man is so wise that he may not easily err if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught only by himself has a fool for a master." Ben Jonson

No one said we have to 'investigate it all,' but we do have to give it some thought if we wish to be at peace.

That is the beauty of being a freethinker. We can think for ourselves. As such, when we get a toolbox we can decide which tools to use for the job. Some tools are used a lot, other tools are left alone for the time being, and still others are trashed when we see they are broken and useless.

Traditional freethinkers (atheists) do not accept me as one of their group, since I draw from spiritual paths as well as wordily areas to garner wisdom to live at peace.

Traditional freethinkers do not like anything that comes from religion.

Kind of a misnomer isn't it...I'm a freethinker...but I must block out everything that comes from religion and spiritual traditions and whatever other prejudice I wish to inject into the equation?

See:

http: (removed due to censorship guidelines)http://jesusneverexisted.org/jne/forum/index.php?topic=470.0

Psychologist William James once said, "A great many people believe they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

When we limit prejudice we can open our minds to truth and peace. And realize the truth of Blake's words that "all deities reside within the human breast."

Yes, if it is religion that an atheists need to adopt, they only have to look as far as the religion of humanity. But just paying secular humanism lip service will not do any good. Our talk of spiritual values must match our actions.

See:

http: (removed due to censorship guidelines)

It would be nice if humans acted logically and their actions only worked to make their species flourish and promoted inner peace to all - but they don't.

Humans need moral guidance or a moral conscience since they have a 'free will' of sorts.

Actually it is like this.

We are free to do what we want -- but are not free to want what we want.

All our actions have consequences, and many of our actions produce consequences that end up destroying peace. (both ours and other's peace).

This is what separates us from the animals that run solely on instinct.

Humans run by instinct as well as moral guidance. And religion offers a prepackaged set of morals for humans to adhere to.

Whether this moral conscience in divinely inspired or from Nature I don't know - that is why I am an agnostic.

But If I had to guess I would lean towards the atheistic view of Nature based conscience, since I have not found any evidence of a God such as the monotheists claim....but as an agnostic I keep looking.

And as I look with an open mind, I am reminded each day that there are powers greater than myself in charge and we are all interdependent and not independent with one another and hope one day we can all come to realize that we all share the same breath.

See:

Take care,

V (Male)

Agnostic Freethinker
Practical Philosopher
AA#2

DailyBlessings

O Christianos Cryptos; Amor Vincit Omnia!
Oct 21, 2004
Berkeley, CA
Visit site
✟30,234.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What difference does it make whether the US "should" be a Christian nation? It obviously is not, nor would authoritarianism make it so.

Incidentally, that is the worst summary of Buddhism that I have ever seen.

Upvote 0

Sojourner<><

Incoherent Freedom Fighter
Mar 23, 2005
✟16,885.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My own view as a Christian is that it's unethical to mix politics with faith, though it's impossible to separate faith from politics.

I get tired of people raising the banner of Christianity to support their own agendas. When this happens, the issues of the world can seem to become matters of faith. How tragic it is to be suspected of being a non-Christian just because you don't support the popular views of the 'moral majority'.

I think Christians should just try to keep their faith pure and allow that faith to work its way out and affect the world through their influence in the world.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Stripped naked of politics, denominational religion, and other diversions I believe the average American relects christian values and principles more than any other moral persuasion. So while not formally Christian, we are certainly a christian nation in our principles, even though our faith-based hopes differ widely.

owg

Upvote 0

Jedah

Dec 1, 2004
Forest of Emeralds
✟15,362.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Libertarian
Theocracies dont work. History has taught us that. People will rebel against it no matter what the theocracies religion of choice is. Their will always be people that cant cope, and its unfauir to them.

That being said even not being a theocracy and just being a "christian nation" in name hurts those who are not christian. Its a pointless way to make them feel alienated.

Upvote 0

DailyBlessings

O Christianos Cryptos; Amor Vincit Omnia!
Oct 21, 2004
Berkeley, CA
Visit site
✟30,234.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I love it when someone doesn't know the difference between atheism and communism.
Funny pairing, that. I would actually make the opposite association, at least as far as theology goes.

Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
i personally believe that America shouldn't be a Christian nation or any religion for that matter. it shouldn't take religious thought to do good to our fellow human beings. it shouldn't take religious thought to rule a nation.

our nation is so diverse, we need something secular if you will to represent all of our people instead of a nation endorsing one religion/representing one nation but give a tease of mental thoughts that we represent all people in our nation.

just my .02 :)

Upvote 0

I Just Believe In Me

Oct 4, 2007
✟15,788.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Stripped naked of politics, denominational religion, and other diversions I believe the average American relects christian values and principles more than any other moral persuasion. So while not formally Christian, we are certainly a christian nation in our principles, even though our faith-based hopes differ widely.

owg
How are we a christian nation in our principles. This is a nation that believes that all people are equal. That women are worth the same as men. That slavery is immoral. That everyone has the right to believe anything they want. These are views that biblical christianity does not share.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sojourner<><

Mar 23, 2005
✟16,885.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How are we a christian nation in our principles. This is a nation that believes that all people are equal. That women are worth the same as men. That slavery is immoral. That everyone has the right to believe anything they want. These are views that biblical christianity does not share.

I'm sorry, but that's a misunderstanding of Christian values.

Upvote 0

Sojourner<><

Mar 23, 2005
✟16,885.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
i personally believe that America shouldn't be a Christian nation or any religion for that matter. it shouldn't take religious thought to do good to our fellow human beings. it shouldn't take religious thought to rule a nation.

You have a good point, but at the same time you can't say that there must be an elimination of religious thought in order to do these things.

our nation is so diverse, we need something secular if you will to represent all of our people instead of a nation endorsing one religion/representing one nation but give a tease of mental thoughts that we represent all people in our nation.

Tolerance is a good standard, but in order for true tolerance to be achieved, shouldn't that mean that the religious beliefs of others must also be tolerated?

Upvote 0

Sojourner<><

Mar 23, 2005
✟16,885.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Please explain what I got wrong.

I'd be happy to. Since your statement concerns Biblical Christianity, I'll let the Bible speak for itself.

Regarding the equality of all people, and of men and women, the Bible states:

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." Gal 3:28

The Bible doesn't directly teach that slavery is wrong to the best of my knowledge. The truth is slavery hasn't always taken the same form in all cultures at all times and there are circumstances where indentured servitude could be a better option than fending for one's self in a hostile environment. There is one thing though about slavery that the Bible teaches is immoral, which is the exploitation of others:

"Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets." Mat 7:12

Upvote 0

I Just Believe In Me

Oct 4, 2007
✟15,788.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Okay we will let the bible speak for itself.

The Bible specifically says that a women is worth have that of a man.
"And if it be from five years old even unto twenty years old, then thy estimation shall be of the male twenty shekels, and for the female ten shekels." Leviticus 27:5

The bible says anyone who is not Christian should be put to death.
"If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine owan soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers; Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you ... Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him,terono neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him: But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die." Deuteronomy 13:6-10

As for slavery Exodus 21 details the rules for slavery. The most striking statement hower has to be "Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God." Colossians 3:22

These are not the ideas of equality which this nations is based on.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
N

NavyGuy7

Okay we will let the bible speak for itself.

The Bible specifically says that a women is worth have that of a man.
"And if it be from five years old even unto twenty years old, then thy estimation shall be of the male twenty shekels, and for the female ten shekels." Leviticus 27:5

"If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine owan soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers; Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you ... Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him,terono neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him: But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die." Deuteronomy 13:6-10

As for slavery Exodus 21 details the rules for slavery. The most striking statement hower has to be "Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God." Colossians 3:22

These are not the ideas of equality which this nations is based on.

LOL. You haven't proven your point, dude. That's all OLD TESTAMENT. Christianity and Jesus don't come around until the NEW TESTAMENT, at least in history. One couldn't be a Christian in the Old Testament because, well, Jesus hadn't been born and died yet for our sins. :D
Try using something from teh NT like Sojourner has done with grace and style. :D
Those were things done back then, before Christ died for us all.
So, again, what exactly is your point? Can you pick up the broken pieces of your shattered statement? Prove to us from the NT. I dare ya.

Upvote 0
N

NavyGuy7

Wrong, sorry. It does not say in that verse "Anyone who isn't Christian must die." I think you are confusing Christianity with Islam, or something. Islam teaches that if one is not Muslim, they must be converted, or die. This verse is merely outlining a form of punishment for lawbreakers. And when you broke God's law back then, it was serious, bub. It was merely a way to retain order and keep people focused on God, since back then people couldn't ask for Christ's forgiveness since he didn't die for our sins yet.

Upvote 0

I Just Believe In Me

Oct 4, 2007
✟15,788.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Last time I checked Christians did believe in the Old Testament, but if you require more proof I will provide.

"Wives, according to Paul, must submit themselves to their husbands." Colossians 3:18

"Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward." 1 Peter 2:18

"He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned." Mark 16:16

Upvote 0