Should the Church accept homosexuality?

Should the church accept homosexuality as not being a sin?

• yes

• no

• undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KCKID

Jan 12, 2008
Australia
✟4,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree. If one doesnt recognise God's Biblical testimony, then how can they recognise God? If God's Biblical testimony says to believe, trust and obey all His testimony, as it does, then there is no other way. To believe only half the truth is to lose the truth.

Boring. But, I'll play your game for a couple of minutes. Will you be honoring the Creation Sabbath this weekend, Phinehas? That's Friday sundown until Saturday sundown. Will you be believing, trusting and obeying God's biblical testimony concerning His having created the world in six days, resting on the seventh ...and blessing and sanctifying that day (the 7th) as a mark of His Creation? This event of GREAT SIGNIFICANCE even made it into the Ten Commandments. It even carried a penalty of DEATH to those who were disobedient to the Sabbath. Then, along came Christianity and arrogantly took it on itself to actually ABROGATE the Sabbath! Christianity actually removed one of the Ten Commandments! The 4th-commandment has been done away with! There are now only NINE Commandments!

The Sabbath represents Creation, Phinehas. To honor that day each week is to honor God the Creator. Ignore that and you ignore God. You see, to believe only half the truth is to lose the truth. If one doesn't recognize God's biblical testimony, then how can they recognize God?

Game over.

Upvote 0
P

Phinehas2

KCKID,
Glad to answer your questions. I will be honouring the Sabbath yes. In what way did you expect?
You see Jesus Christ NT teaching is.
Matthew 12:8 "For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath."
Colossians 2:16 “Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.”
Hebrews 4:9 “9There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; 10for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his. 11Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall by following their example of disobedience.
Then, along came Christianity and arrogantly took it on itself to actually ABROGATE the Sabbath! Christianity actually removed one of the Ten Commandments! The 4th-commandment has been done away with! There are now only NINE Commandments!
sorry that’s not Christianity as you can see from Christ’s NT teaching above. Jesus Christ has fulfilled the OT law and prophets.

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
The conscience isnt being activated against a very obvious sin.I found it strange KC referred to sexual preference as the same as eye color.
I have a sibling who is gay.
I am not.I view the practice of it as a sin against God
Therefore the genetic argument is rendered a lie by my very existence.Thats all i have to say,its just so obvious whether its right or wrong according to what the bible says.I dont judge anyone who chooses this lifestyle,but to say its ok according to christian standards???crazy.
People who say this are utterly fearless of the Living God.

How does you not being gay in anyway invalidate the biological origins of sexual orientation? I don't know where you heard that if one sibling is gay, the other must be, but it isn't true. One can be gay, and the other can be perfectly straight. This in no way disproves the biological basis of orientation.

Upvote 0

OllieFranz

Jul 2, 2007
✟23,548.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Olliefranz, (and KCKID)

Nope. If all scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work, then the scriptures I have posted exclude and prohibit homosexuality. The question is are they rebuking and correcting your position, or are they teaching? I think its fairly obvious they are rebuking and correcting. But one cant claim all scripture is God breathed and useful in this way if one doesn’t believe all of it, and if one doesn’t accept it one cant claim they believe it. Whether you like it or not the dictionary definition doesn’t allow one to dispute something and claim to believe it at the same time.

Your favored prooftexts are not All Scripture. You need to read and try to understand all scripture. A couple of paragraphs before 2 Timothy 3:16 is 2 Timothy 2:15
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
2 Timothy 2:15
Studying means more than memorizing prooftexts and remembering Sunday School Bible stories. It means reading the books of the Bible as they were meant to be read: reading the whole of each book in order to get a sense of the writer's main point in writing the book. It means looking at the culture of the time. Both Jewish culture/the culture of early Christians, and the culture of the people around them that they had to interact with daily. It means studying the meanings of the words. The mormal denotations, the connotations and the contexts in which they occur, their use in idioms, and the limits of those idioms. It means recognizing literary influences, whether it is Paul's quoting from Epimenides and Plato, or Peter and Jude quoting from pseudo-Enoch. We are workmen in the dividing of the word of truth, and the Scriptures are our tools. A carpenter needs more tools than just a hammer, and we need more tools than just misunderstood prooftexts and half-remembered Bible stories.

That’s irrelevant, the Bible calls out homosexual practice as what pagans (Lev 18) and non-believers do (Romans 1, 1 Cor 6) Homosexuality is a pagan practice according to God, only a pagan or non-believing pov could disagree.
I agree that offering human sperm on the altar of Molech is a sinful pagan practice whether it is offered directly and burned, or it is offered in the form of visiting a temple prostitute, or it is given into an animal (or a child) which is then sacrificed (Leviticus 18:21-24, all of which are of a piece, just as Leviticus 18:6-17, the so-called incest verses, are all one of a piece) But I know of no one that does this today, and particularly no Christians do, gay or straight.

And if you want to connect the sin of Unbridled Passion (Romans 1:26-27) to pagan idolatry, you have to first get the sin itself right, and then connect it the same way that Paul did. Unbridled Passion had become an addiction, and this addiction was the penalty for the pagans rejecting God. But even that misses the point of Romans. The portrait that Paul painted of the worst of all possible sinners is a set up to the claim that we have no right to criticize these horrible sinners because we are just as guilty. (Romans 2:1-3)

Nope. God told Moses to lift the brass serpent, nothing pagan in what God instructs.
Quite right. But what began in accord with God's will, and indeed at God's command was still turned into an idol. And King Hezekiah ordered its destruction for that reason.
Now it came to pass in the third year of Hoshea son of Elah king of Israel, that Hezekiah the son of Ahaz king of Judah began to reign. Twenty and five years old was he when he began to reign; and he reigned twenty and nine years in Jerusalem. His mother's name also was Abi, the daughter of Zachariah. And he did that which was right in the sight of the LORD, according to all that David his father did. He removed the high places, and brake the images, and cut down the groves, and brake in pieces the brasen serpent that Moses had made: for unto those days the children of Israel did burn incense to it: and he called it Nehushtan. He trusted in the LORD God of Israel; so that after him was none like him among all the kings of Judah, nor any that were before him.
2 Kings 18:1-5
Anything, no matter how holy, can be turned into an idol. The Brass Serpent, the Ark of the Covenant (first by the Philistines, and later, after it was lost, by generations of superstitious people), and even the Bible.

Let me remind you that Christians believe the Bible, if you are saying Christians do not believe the Bible then we have a debate about two different faiths. But Christianity is the one that has always believed the apostolic faith once delivered in the Biblical one. So the new one would need a new name.
I'm saying that there is a difference between believing that we were given the Scriptures by God So we could study the lessons within it and obtain the Holy Spirit's help in working out our Salvation in fear and trembling, and believing in the Bible and revering it without knowing more than a few favored prooftexts. That is revering the object, not its purpose. And I agree that the second is not the Christianity to which we have been called.

And when you can come up with a dozen or so proof texts to support your argument the you can criticise the proof texts given, until then ist just wingeing,
And with your focus on prooftexts, rather than on the whole of the Scriptures have shown which camp you lie in.

Then you are cherry picking. There are plenty of passages in the NT which warn believers not to associate with the wilfully sexually immoral and false teachers.
And I'm sure that the Pharisees quoted all of them (or at least all the ones from the Hebrew Scriptures) when they complained about Jesus dining with prostitutes and tax collectors.

Edited to add: I saw "NT" and read "Bible" in Phineas remark. Of corse they did not quote the New Testament, but the Old Testament. But aside from that bit of pseudo-dyslexia, I stand by this statement.

We have been called to preach the Good News of the Gospel to all men. Paul tells us that means becoming all things to all men so that some can be saved.

To be sure, we have to be clear that we are not understood to be saying that all religions are the same, or that we agree with the people that we are reaching out to on matters of faith, but we are not to be rude about it.

And even if we think that someone else has not properly repented of his sins, or is claiming something we feel to be sin is OK under some circumstances, we are still not justified in judging him. Only One Person is authorized to judge him. Only One Person is qualified to judge him. Only One Person is without sin and can cast the first stone. And He is on record as postponing that Judgment until all have had all opportunity to be saved.

Ok so then I and most Christians would say you don’t believe it.
It is not clear what you mean by "it" in this sentence.

If you mean that I don't believe that the Bible condemns homosexuality per se, then I agree. I have studied the Bible, and it only mentions what we would call homosexuals in a few places. It shows us their flaws and their sins in most cases, as it does with any other person, but it does not show, or condemn their sex lives: Potiphar, Ashpenaz, Jezebel's courtiers, Candace's treasurer.

It shows us sins that have a sexual aspect, and some of them involve same-sex partners. But what makes them sin are the same things that make cross-sex partnerships sin: rape, prostitution, idolatry, wanton promiscuity, slavery, etc.

If you mean I don't believe homosexuality is a sin, then while I admit it, I wonder why you pointed it out here, since I had just stated that, and also stated that it was irrelevant to the point I was about to make. That we are not to usurp Jesus' authority and judge others is a direct warning from the Bible, repeated by Jesus, by Paul, by John, by James.

If you mean I don't believe the Bible, or I don't believe what you claim the Bible teaches, my answer is that the two are not the same. I believe what the Bible teaches to someone who takes the time to study and understand it. I believe that your pre-digested pablum of misunderstood prooftexts and half-remembered Bible stories is less than accurate.

The word of God says it is a sin so how come you don’t believe the word of God?
I believe the Scriptures when they teach that temple prostitution is a sin (Leviticus 18:22) I believe the Scriptures when they teach that torture and rape is a sin (Genesis 19; Judges 19; 1 Chronicles 19). I believe the Scriptures when they mention that, along with other sinful practices, enforced child prostitution is a sin, and that everyone is guilty of some sins on the list (1 Corinthians 6:9-10; 1 Timothy 1:8-11). I believe the Scriptures when they teach that Unbridled Passion not only is a sin in itself, but it leads to addiction (Romans 1:26-27).

And I also believe the Scriptures when they make no big deal of the Ethiopian treasurer's orientation, but instead there is no impediment to baptizing him as a Christian (Acts 8). I believe the Scriptures when they report that Jesus tells us that men like the treasurer are born that way "from their mother's womb."

But even more importantly, I believe the scriptures when they teach over and over again, in book after book that all of the times that Paul or James lists sins, it is so that we can examine our own lives. That we have no authority from God to judge others, since he gave all Judgment to Jesus and we are not Jesus. That we have no moral authority to judge others, since we are just as guilty as they are.

I believe the Scriptures when they warn that judging the sins of others is rejecting the grace of God and agreeing to be judged by the Law (Matthew 7:1-5; Galatians 2:21; Galatians 3:12; Galatians 4:21; Galatians 5:4). That is a scary proposition, since under the Law no one can be saved.

No, the Bible tells believers not to judge non-believers, (1 Cor 5), the sins of believers are to be restored by each other (Gal 6).

You are ignoring Romans 14, which is about fellow Christians who are doing things we consider sin. (At that time the hot-button issues were holy days and meat purchased from butchers associated with pagan temples, so those are the examples Paul uses.) You are also ignoring Matthew 18:15ff which tells us when and how we are permitted to "restore" a fellow believer.

First, it is not anything I think is a sin. It is a sin against me. He has to be harming me. (In the later stages, neutral third parties are brought in, but it is one of the two involved parties that calls them in, and there is still the fact that one is harming the other. If the situation in 1 Corinthians 5 was handled properly, the Church became involved because the cuckolded husband asked them to.)

Second, I am to forgive him. I am to forgive him whether or not he repents. I am to forgive him even while he is still sinning against me. There are no conditions on the forgiveness. None. It is to be as unconditional as Jesus love of me and His forgiveness for my sins.

I am looking to restore you as a brother from a false understanding by quoting the scriptures to correct you so you see homosexuality is a sin. Believers are restored, those who call themselves brothers but are wilfully sexually immoral are to be disassociated from. That’s the instruction to believers.
In what way am I being sexually immoral? I am celibate, and have always been. Although I do not believe there is anything in the Bible to indicate that homosexuality, per se, is sin, I am not "fully convinced in [my] own mind" that there might not be some teaching on the subject that I'm missing, so for me, if I were to marry and have sex with another man it would be a sin because of my doubt (Romans 14:23). Likewise, if someone came to me for advice, i would identify their needing advice as doubt and counsel against it.

But the other side of the coin is Romans 14:3-5. If he is "fully persuaded in his own mind," then it is not my place, but Jesus' to judge.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KCKID

Jan 12, 2008
Australia
✟4,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
KCKID,
Glad to answer your questions. I will be honouring the Sabbath yes. In what way did you expect?

Glad to hear it ...even though I know that you're fibbing. Remember (Remember? Hmm ...how appropriate ...'Remember' prefixes commandment #4) that the Sabbath begins Friday sundown and ends Saturday sundown.

Happy Sabbath!

You see Jesus Christ NT teaching is.
Matthew 12:8 "For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath."

Which means ...what? Jesus' teaching was also that the Sabbath was made for man (NOT Jew you will note) and not man for the Sabbath (Mark 2:27).

Colossians 2:16 “Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.”
Obviousy referring to the ceremonial sabbaths that WERE abrogated at the cross.

Hebrews 4:9 “9There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; 10for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his. 11Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall by following their example of disobedience.
This is a complex text to decipher but, in a nutshell, it's referring to the fact that TODAY one can be saved. This text in no way abrogates the Sabbath command ...that is, commandment #4 of the Big Ten.

sorry that’s not Christianity as you can see from Christ’s NT teaching above. Jesus Christ has fulfilled the OT law and prophets.
Careful, you'll get other Christians saying that Jesus said that not one jot or tittle shall be removed from the Law until heaven and earth shall pass (Matthew 5:18). The last time I looked out - about 5 minutes ago - heaven and earth were still there. I guess this must mean that the 4th-commandment must still be applicable.

I realize that this 'Sabbath business' is a derail, but ...your turn.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟417,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
One of these days all who are saved will know where the Lord Jesus Christ stands on this topic. Assuming you believe God is all knowing, do you realize He is reading every post of every thread on this forum, in real time?

Upvote 0

AngelusSax

Believe
Apr 16, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟15,490.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God see all and knows all. Let me be on record I might be wrong, and if I am, I hope I am forgiven by God. I believe everyone is wrong on at least one thing regarding specific tenents of their faith, and I hope God forgives them, and me.

I trust that I don't have to be right on everything to be saved. I just have to believe in God and trust Jesus as Lord and Savior, relying totally on Him for my salvation. And that applies to everyone else, too.

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
One of these days all who are saved will know where the Lord Jesus Christ stands on this topic. Assuming you believe God is all knowing, do you realize He is reading every post of every thread on this forum, in real time?
Yup, and I imagine he's quite disappointed with the conservatives who are condemning His children to Hell due to their worship of a book.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟417,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Yup, and I imagine he's quite disappointed with the conservatives who are condemning His children to Hell due to their worship of a book.

Worship of a book?

Paul does tell us "For there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus" (Romans 8:1).

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
Worship of a book?
Yes, the Bible is routinely declared the 100% perfect and infallible "Word of God" and one's interpretation of said book, is justification to condemn to hell anyone someone doesn't like.

The Bible has become an idol in certain Christian circles.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, the Bible is routinely declared the 100% perfect and infallible "Word of God" and one's interpretation of said book, is justification to condemn to hell anyone someone doesn't like.

The Bible has become an idol in certain Christian circles.

I drew this parallel over in GTm, and it's one I think important to getting across the message Jase is trying to sledgehammer home here as inoffensively as possible.

Take your normal devout Catholic, and address the devotion he or she pays to St. Mary, mother of our Lord. He or she will hotly defend it, averring that they worship God alone: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and that the hyperdulia due St. Mary is her due as honor for her role in bearing and raising the boy Jesus Christ. Nonetheless, to the typical non-Catholic that honor seems disproportionate and extreme, detracting from a focus on Christ.

Likewise, take your normal "Bible-believing" evangelical conservatve, and address the honor he pays to the Holy Scriptures, calling them "God's Word," inerrant, the only way we can certainly know God, etc. He or she will hotly deny Bibliolatry, stating he or she worships God alone, not the Bible. Yet the degree of honor and reliance he or she places on the Bible seems to others equally disproportionate and extreme.

How it applies here: The central commandments, summarizing all the others, are to love God with every fiber of your being, above all other things, to love your fellow man as yourself, to do unto him as you yourself would wish to be done unto, to avoid judgment and when you must judge, to do so with forgiveness, grace, mercy, and agapetic love, to give generously to the needs of others, to avoid legalism and judgmentalism, to repent of your own sins and not condemn those of another, lest you be condemned for your own, to bring the Good News of God's saving love to all mankind....

Yet somehow, the man-made doctrine that all the Bible is inerrant and selective reading of the Scriptural condemnations of specific sins justifies those same Bible-oriented conservative evangelicals into a form of behavior that appears to the outsider little different than the legalistic judgmentalism and lack of compassion for which Jesus justly condemned many of the Pharisees and scribes.

It is nowhere more evident than in the homosexuality debates, where people quote off selected Biblical verses condemning heinous sins of Bible days as if they ipso facto applied as well to people today (IMO sometimes they do, but not in the context they apply them), refuse to listen to those people's testimony concerning their own lives and faith, claim to have greater insight into those people's motivations and limitations than they themselves do about themselves, and serve it off with a whipped topping of scornful condemnation that such people are not worthy of God's grace -- little realizing that in doing so they incur God's just condemnation of their own sins.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,752,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

immadatyou.gif

sigh......closing this thread for review.

The site rules include:

Flaming
You will not insult, belittle, mock, use derogatory nicknames in reference to other members, or personally attack other members or groups of members. Do not goad another member or start call-out threads. Do not state or imply that another member or group of members who have identified themselves as Christian are not Christian. Avoid using sarcasm to attempt any of the above.​

If you are flamed, do not respond in-kind. Alert staff to the situation by utilizing the report button.

Edit - this thread is staying closed​

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.