Should Recreational Drug Use Be Decriminalized?

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I say possession of drugs for recreational use should be absolutely legal. I believe drugs should be sold and regulated just like alcohol and tobacco to adults who wish to consume them. I also think more emphasis shoukd be put into educating people against drug use instead of limiting their liberty to do them.

I agree. For pragmatic reasons it's more sensible to legalize and regulate drugs that pose minimal harm. Though people would still buy drugs illegally even if they were legalized, such as for underage users, more people would be willing to abide by the law and purchase it legally. If it was regulated higher safer standards for how it is manufactured and sold could be maintained. Legalization would also gradually lessen the stigmatization of it, and people who are seeking cannabis for medicinal purposes would feel less hesitant to purchase it. It wouldn't be an overnight process across the country, just as attitudes regarding alcohol as an impropriety persisted for years after Prohibition ended, but it would happen. The federal government currently places marijuana in the most dangerous category of narcotics, treating it as more harmful than cocaine despite the preponderance of evidence that it isn't. It's an archaic classification that has obstructed medical research. As Sen. Cory Booker stated when presenting a proposal to lift the federal prohibition on medical marijuana, "This bill we are introducing seeks to right decades of wrong and end unnecessary marijuana laws,” Booker said. “Our federal government has long overstepped the boundaries of common sense, fiscal prudence and compassion with its marijuana laws. These laws must change.”
http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/politicsnow/la-pn-marijuana-senate-20150310-story.html

The tax revenue it could generate would be sizable. Colorado pulled in $76 million in marijuana taxes and business fees for 2014. In 2012 hundreds of notable economists, including the Nobel Laureates George Akerlof, Vernon Smith, and Milton Friedman, signed a petition calling attention to the findings of a paper by the economist Jeffery Miron at Harvard which concluded that if the government legalized marijuana it would save $7.7 billion annually by not having to enforce the current prohibitions, and that it would save an additional $6 billion per year if the government taxed marijuana at rates similar to tobacco and alcohol. That's as much as $13.7 billion per year.

A portion of that revenue could be used for education about marijuana and how to use it responsibly. There are many misconceptions about it. Marijuana is not entirely benign, and people have had their lives negatively effected by it. It can be especially harmful to those with mental illnesses, and the inexperienced. It's a fallacy that marijuana can only make you feel relaxed; in higher quantities it can have the opposite effect and induce paranoia, hallucinations, and anxiety. It's also a forbidden fruit that makes it all the more tempting for those to try just out of curiosity and for rebellion. Some of the allure would lessen if it was legal.

Haha I just flipped on the TV and Seth Meyers is talking about voters being in support of marijuana legalization.

Upvote 0

OGM

Mar 22, 2010
✟11,065.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The War on Drugs was declared open in 1971. In 44 years:
  • Over a Trillion dollars has been spend on this "War".
  • There are more types of drugs in the U.S.
  • The drugs that were around in 1971 are more plentiful now then when they were then.
  • The drugs are of higher purity/purity then they were in 1971.
  • The drugs are cheaper then they were in 1972.
Sounds to me like the War on Drugs was/is a HUUUUUUUGGGGGGEEEEEEE failure!

Reactions: rrguy
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
  • The drugs that were around in 1971 are more plentiful now then when they were then.
I think of it as a huge, expensive and very successful advertising campaign for illicit and dangerous substances. I remember I had no idea what drugs were until I learned about them in school through the D.A.R.E. program. Way to go, government! Always looking out for us stupid citizens...

Reactions: rrguy
Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

We need a surge in the fighting with greater weapons.

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I agree. For pragmatic reasons it's more sensible to legalize and regulate drugs that pose minimal harm. Though people would still buy drugs illegally even if they were legalized, such as for underage users, more people would be willing to abide by the law and purchase it legally. If it was regulated higher safer standards for how it is manufactured and sold could be maintained. Legalization would also gradually lessen the stigmatization of it, and people who are seeking cannabis for medicinal purposes would feel less hesitant to purchase it. It wouldn't be an overnight process across the country, just as attitudes regarding alcohol as an impropriety persisted for years after Prohibition ended, but it would happen. The federal government currently places marijuana in the most dangerous category of narcotics, treating it as more harmful than cocaine despite the preponderance of evidence that it isn't. It's an archaic classification that has obstructed medical research. As Sen. Cory Booker stated when presenting a proposal to lift the federal prohibition on medical marijuana, "This bill we are introducing seeks to right decades of wrong and end unnecessary marijuana laws,” Booker said. “Our federal government has long overstepped the boundaries of common sense, fiscal prudence and compassion with its marijuana laws. These laws must change.”
http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/politicsnow/la-pn-marijuana-senate-20150310-story.html

The tax revenue it could generate would be sizable. Colorado pulled in $76 million in marijuana taxes and business fees for 2014. In 2012 hundreds of notable economists, including the Nobel Laureates George Akerlof, Vernon Smith, and Milton Friedman, signed a petition calling attention to the findings of a paper by the economist Jeffery Miron at Harvard which concluded that if the government legalized marijuana it would save $7.7 billion annually by not having to enforce the current prohibitions, and that it would save an additional $6 billion per year if the government taxed marijuana at rates similar to tobacco and alcohol. That's as much as $13.7 billion per year.

A portion of that revenue could be used for education about marijuana and how to use it responsibly. There are many misconceptions about it. Marijuana is not entirely benign, and people have had their lives negatively effected by it. It can be especially harmful to those with mental illnesses, and the inexperienced. It's a fallacy that marijuana can only make you feel relaxed; in higher quantities it can have the opposite effect and induce paranoia, hallucinations, and anxiety. It's also a forbidden fruit that makes it all the more tempting for those to try just out of curiosity and for rebellion. Some of the allure would lessen if it was legal.

Haha I just flipped on the TV and Seth Meyers is talking about voters being in support of marijuana legalization.

Alcohol abuse alone cost $223 billion a year. Pot is easy to grow, once its legal people will just grow their own.

http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2013/08/14/cdc-alcohol-abuse-costs-us-223-5-billion-per-year/

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Alcohol abuse alone cost $223 billion a year. Pot is easy to grow, once its legal people will just grow their own.

http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2013/08/14/cdc-alcohol-abuse-costs-us-223-5-billion-per-year/

How much does marijuana abuse cost annually? It's been used prevalently across the United States for generations despite the legality, and has long been decriminalized in other countries. There should be some information available.

From your link:
“There are approximately 80,000 deaths attributable to excessive alcohol use each year in the United States,” the site notes. “Excessive alcohol use is responsible for 2.3 million years of potential life lost … annually, or an average of about 30 years of potential life lost for each death.”

In comparison:
http://time.com/10372/marijuana-deaths-german-study/

Obesity and prescription drug abuse have also cost a substantial amount in health care per year. It's excess and misuse that causes the most problems with alcohol, too. I don't doubt that if marijuana was legalized it would generate some costs but not nearly as much as alcohol. Medical emergencies due to marijuana have been on the rise, but much of it is attributed to underage use and overconsumption. There needs to be more public education about responsible consumption. What are the medicinal uses for alcohol?

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
How much does marijuana abuse cost annually? It's been used prevalently across the United States for generations despite the legality, and has long been decriminalized in other countries. There should be some information available.

From your link:

In comparison:
http://time.com/10372/marijuana-deaths-german-study/

Obesity and prescription drug abuse have also cost a substantial amount in health care per year. It's excess and misuse that causes the most problems with alcohol, too. I don't doubt that if marijuana was legalized it would generate some costs but not nearly as much as alcohol. Medical emergencies due to marijuana have been on the rise, but much of it is attributed to underage use and overconsumption. There needs to be more public education about responsible consumption. What are the medicinal uses for alcohol?

Pot is difficult to quantify because it "zaps" a persons drive in life, stunts intellectual and emotional maturity. Surely nothing like the damage of alcohol, yet if primarily young people have the coarse of their lives altered as a result I see that as tragic!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Why? Without the users there would be no dealers. So one would have to kill the users in your scenario.
Once a user gets hooked by the pusher, then they are overcome by the human weakness of addiction, they become sick. It's the people who bring the poison in for material gain.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I've always liked your picture, is that you?

Yup, thanks. :)

Anyhow, be reasonable, I'm talking about the major drugs that are abused here in the states like crack, meth, heroin, weed.

You've been pretty sharp in other post on this forum, so do you really mean to say legalize terribly addictive drugs, tax them to pay to treat the destroyed lives?

I don't know why you put weed with heroin. I'd consider alcohol to be similar to weed, or worse.

I'd say that very chemically addictive and harmful drugs (like meth) should probably be at least decriminalized. If you care about people, you don't lock them in prison because they have a health problem. You treat them. It's a health issue, not a legal one.

But perhaps they should be legal too. Isn't it people's choice what they do to their body? And taxes could go towards healthcare. Also, cigarettes are addictive and harmful, but are legal.

I'm not totally sure what to do with drugs like meth, but I think soft drugs, which are similar t alcohol and cigarettes, should definitely be legal. Anything less is oppression, and treating people like property, controlling their lives unjustly.

:)

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Pot is difficult to quantify because it "zaps" a persons drive in life, stunts intellectual and emotional maturity. Surely nothing like the damage of alcohol, yet if primarily young people have the coarse of their lives altered as a result I see that as tragic!

I'm not sure it is that bad. There are successful people who smoke pot. Also, things shouldn't be banned because they harm. Boxing is harmful, but if you consent it's okay.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Excessive or other inappropriate use of marijuana can demotivate and be used as a maladaptive coping mechanism, but it certainly doesn't zap the drive, intelligence, or maturity of everyone who uses it in a responsible manner. President Obama has freely admitted to using marijuana in his youth, Bill Clinton used it but "did not inhale" (yeahhhhh), and one of the places where it's most prevalently used is college campuses. The majority of the students who use it go on to graduate from college, obtain employment, and have productive lives.

One of the reasons why so many teens and young adults use it is because it's a forbidden fruit they're curious to try, and they want to rebel. If it was legalized it should still be illegal for minors to possess it, but there would be more educational awareness made about responsible use. A lot of the adverse reactions are due to ignorance and inexperience.

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Excessive or other inappropriate use of marijuana can demotivate and be used as a maladaptive coping mechanism, but it certainly doesn't zap the drive, intelligence, or maturity of everyone who uses it in a responsible manner. President Obama has freely admitted to using marijuana in his youth, Bill Clinton used it but "did not inhale" (yeahhhhh), and one of the places where it's most prevalently used is college campuses. The majority of the students who use it go on to graduate from college, obtain employment, and have productive lives.

One of the reasons why so many teens and young adults use it is because it's a forbidden fruit they're curious to try, and they want to rebel. If it was legalized it should still be illegal for minors to possess it, but there would be more educational awareness made about responsible use. A lot of the adverse reactions are due to ignorance and inexperience.

I have a 20 year old daughter whose life has been devastated by pot adiction. This ideology that's its desirable because it's forbiden therefore make it legal and kids will "sudenly" follow the law is naive. We are many years into educating kids in public schools about drugs but that has been a joke to those who are stoned in class.

One only needs to look at what drugs users and sellers are willing to risk and even return to repeatedly to demonstrate the TRUE effects of drugs on souls are beyond the fluffy intellectualization of reality.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure it is that bad. There are successful people who smoke pot. Also, things shouldn't be banned because they harm. Boxing is harmful, but if you consent it's okay.

I'm a minority if one on this thread so it looks like people will eventually do away with prohibitions that protect the young.

Upvote 0

OGM

Mar 22, 2010
✟11,065.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Once a user gets hooked by the pusher, then they are overcome by the human weakness of addiction, they become sick. It's the people who bring the poison in for material gain.
But dealers don't hook people. Also many customers of dealers are recreational users. I know people in New York that do Ecstacy, cocaine, GHB and ketamine only during music festivals and certain dance events. Yes, they buy from a dealer but the dealer did not "hook" them. As a matter of fact I have seen them refuse drugs during other times.

I see a drug dealer the same as a alcohol or gun dealer. It is all about individual responsibility.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have a 20 year old daughter whose life has been devastated by pot adiction.

I'm very sorry that your daughter's life has been so deeply and adversely impacted by pot addiction. I haven't minimized or glossed over the possibility that it can be harmful, and especially to the young, but it's quite rare for it be the cause of devastation. Her experiences quite understandably fuel your passions.

My own experiences are diametrically different from her's. I've been using medical marijuana to help alleviate pain following injuries and dental procedures (I've had an incredibly unusual number of them due to some traumas to my mouth), with the intense physical stress that come from being a competitive dancer and track and field runner, and with other significant health issues for quite a while now because it is more effective and has substantially less of an adverse impact on me than prescription pain medication. I have a very rare endocrine disorder called Addison's Disease, and it's crucial that I minimize physical and mental stress because my body doesn't have the natural defense mechanisms to properly cope. The medicine I have to take daily can sometimes generate very unpleasant effects and this helps to counteract it. I'm 5'9 and weighed just 107 pounds in March, and being that underweight was putting my body in distress. I also was going for days on end without being able to sleep more than an hour a night. One of my friends from real life who is on here but lives in a time zone three hours ahead of me can tell you about how many times in the spring I was texting with her at 3 in the morning my time to try to make some joy out of brutal insomnia robbing me of any rest. This has helped significantly with nausea without making me woozy and dopey like the only prescription antiemetic that works on me. That medicine did help me to sleep - but for about 14 hours at a time, and then would wreck my sleep patterns for the rest of the week. It's helped with appetite stimulation, and as of this morning I'm at 113. It's helped me to actually sleep. I can't tell you what a huge toll not sleeping has on your immune system, state of mind, and overall wellbeing and what a tremendous relief it is to actually be able to snooze. Just last week I fell seven feet while doing aerial dance and was coated with horrendous bruises. Advil wouldn't touch it. Prescription medicine just made me feel like a zombie, which stressed me out because I have so much I need to get finished. My little vaporizing pen saved my week.

John F. Kennedy also had Addison's Disease, and there is documented evidence that he used marijuana in the White House, smoking 4-6 joints at a time when especially stressed. This was detailed in his biography. Rather than impairing him from being able to function, it enabled him to better function. I'm going to Stanford in the fall; this month I've won a prestigious art scholarship and three academic scholarships; and I compete a national dance competition this summer. I'm not sharing this to brag but to explain that my ambition has not in any way been stunted. Your entire world can come to a halt with Addison's sometimes. This has actually enabled me to more fully pursue my dreams and keep my life on track and moving forward. Medical marijuana is legal in my state, including for minors. I'm 17. I'm not breaking the law. I'm not doing anything unethical, or wrong either. My parents (two doctors) stand firmly behind me on this because they've seen its benefit. I also have many friends who don't have medical conditions that qualify them for the card, but have used it to help with anxiety, stress, and other reasons. From my own experiences, I can understand how. "Recreational" use for marijuana isn't always actually "recreational."

This ideology that's its desirable because it's forbiden therefore make it legal and kids will "sudenly" follow the law is naive. We are many years into educating kids in public schools about drugs but that has been a joke to those who are stoned in class.

It's actually not naive, but you're misunderstanding what I meant by that so I'll clarify. Of course if marijuana was legalized for recreational use underage minors would still obtain and use it illegally, just as they do with alcohol and blackmarket Adderall. It would however make it less of a forbidden fruit. Consider how the drinking age being 21 has not curbed underage drinking at colleges. I agree with the sentiments here about it: http://www.indiana.edu/~engs/articles/fruit.html It's still prevalent on college campuses, but increased education about alcohol has helped to better recognize the symptoms of alcohol poisoning, to understand the effects of alcohol on the body and mind, and to curb DUIs.

Yeah, there's been education about marijuana for years, but much of it has been a joke, not just to the stoners but to many others because it often disproportionally focuses on the negatives, fails to acknowledge any of the known benefits, and doesn't dispel common misconceptions. It's sort of like how scare-mongering sex education classes that focus on showing gory pictures of genitals afflicted with STDs and push abstinence-only tend to be taken far less seriously than ones that are more balanced and reasonable. So many teens think that marijuana is absolutely harmless and that adults are Chicken Littles screaming about how the sky is falling. I feel like the classes we've had at my school that are more comprehensive and balanced have helped with responsible use. We've learned how marijuana affects people under the age of 25 who are still cognitively developing differently from adults. We've learned about how it can be very paradoxical and cause both anxiety, paranoia, and fear and calmness, depending on the person, what was consumed, and the quantity of it. It can cause weight gain, or weight loss. With younger people who might not yet have been diagnosed with a condition they have, marijuana can create more problems because they don't realize that it could impact them differently than friends. As I wrote before, it's been used as a maladaptive coping mechanism, both for ordinary problems such as to distract from stresses of the day or to fill up time when bored - to being used as a substitute for appropriate care for more significant problems like cutting, depression, bipolar, eating disorders, and the like. Understanding all that can actually help a teen be able to recognize when a friend is using marijuana inappropriately and to try to help.

Education wouldn't just come from schools and PSAs, though. If it was legally available, and regulated there would likely be labels with instructions on how much to use, who shouldn't use it, what to do in the event of accidental overdose, and the like. They wouldn't have to look to the internet for answers but would instead have information about their specific product in their hand.

One only needs to look at what drugs users and sellers are willing to risk and even return to repeatedly to demonstrate the TRUE effects of drugs on souls are beyond the fluffy intellectualization of reality.

Many who sell marijuana are actually productive and benevolent people who are trying to provide something they believe is helpful to others. Many are also responsible about it and wouldn't sell it to kids. I know of a veteran who provides it in a state where medical marijuana isn't available yet to other veterans who are helped more by it than with prescription medication for various physical and emotional problems. He's one of the least "fluffy" people I've ever met. Of course there are also people who only care about the money and don't give a flying frickadoodle about the person buying it, or why. There are also doctors who irresponsibly overmedicate patients and ones who are ethical. I don't believe in looking only at the positives or the negatives, but about the whole spectrum in between.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I'm a minority if one on this thread so it looks like people will eventually do away with prohibitions that protect the young.

Banning alcohol might protect the young. So would banning cars.

Liberty shouldn't be banned to protect the young. We should allow liberty, and then reduce the risk. Young people will be ok, but locking people up for controlling their body is pure evil.

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I'm very sorry that your daughter's life has been so deeply and adversely impacted by pot addiction. I haven't minimized or glossed over the possibility that it can be harmful, and especially to the young, but it's quite rare for it be the cause of devastation. Her experiences quite understandably fuel your passions.

My own experiences are diametrically different from her's. I've been using medical marijuana to help alleviate pain following injuries and dental procedures (I've had an incredibly unusual number of them due to some traumas to my mouth), with the intense physical stress that come from being a competitive dancer and track and field runner, and with other significant health issues for quite a while now because it is more effective and has substantially less of an adverse impact on me than prescription pain medication. I have a very rare endocrine disorder called Addison's Disease, and it's crucial that I minimize physical and mental stress because my body doesn't have the natural defense mechanisms to properly cope. The medicine I have to take daily can sometimes generate very unpleasant effects and this helps to counteract it. I'm 5'9 and weighed just 107 pounds in March, and being that underweight was putting my body in distress. I also was going for days on end without being able to sleep more than an hour a night. One of my friends from real life who is on here but lives in a time zone three hours ahead of me can tell you about how many times in the spring I was texting with her at 3 in the morning my time to try to make some joy out of brutal insomnia robbing me of any rest. This has helped significantly with nausea without making me woozy and dopey like the only prescription antiemetic that works on me. That medicine did help me to sleep - but for about 14 hours at a time, and then would wreck my sleep patterns for the rest of the week. It's helped with appetite stimulation, and as of this morning I'm at 113. It's helped me to actually sleep. I can't tell you what a huge toll not sleeping has on your immune system, state of mind, and overall wellbeing and what a tremendous relief it is to actually be able to snooze. Just last week I fell seven feet while doing aerial dance and was coated with horrendous bruises. Advil wouldn't touch it. Prescription medicine just made me feel like a zombie, which stressed me out because I have so much I need to get finished. My little vaporizing pen saved my week.

John F. Kennedy also had Addison's Disease, and there is documented evidence that he used marijuana in the White House, smoking 4-6 joints at a time when especially stressed. This was detailed in his biography. Rather than impairing him from being able to function, it enabled him to better function. I'm going to Stanford in the fall; this month I've won a prestigious art scholarship and three academic scholarships; and I compete a national dance competition this summer. I'm not sharing this to brag but to explain that my ambition has not in any way been stunted. Your entire world can come to a halt with Addison's sometimes. This has actually enabled me to more fully pursue my dreams and keep my life on track and moving forward. Medical marijuana is legal in my state, including for minors. I'm 17. I'm not breaking the law. I'm not doing anything unethical, or wrong either. My parents (two doctors) stand firmly behind me on this because they've seen its benefit. I also have many friends who don't have medical conditions that qualify them for the card, but have used it to help with anxiety, stress, and other reasons. From my own experiences, I can understand how. "Recreational" use for marijuana isn't always actually "recreational."

It's actually not naive, but you're misunderstanding what I meant by that so I'll clarify. Of course if marijuana was legalized for recreational use underage minors would still obtain and use it illegally, just as they do with alcohol and blackmarket Adderall. It would however make it less of a forbidden fruit. Consider how the drinking age being 21 has not curbed underage drinking at colleges. I agree with the sentiments here about it: http://www.indiana.edu/~engs/articles/fruit.html It's still prevalent on college campuses, but increased education about alcohol has helped to better recognize the symptoms of alcohol poisoning, to understand the effects of alcohol on the body and mind, and to curb DUIs.

Yeah, there's been education about marijuana for years, but much of it has been a joke, not just to the stoners but to many others because it often disproportionally focuses on the negatives, fails to acknowledge any of the known benefits, and doesn't dispel common misconceptions. It's sort of like how scare-mongering sex education classes that focus on showing gory pictures of genitals afflicted with STDs and push abstinence-only tend to be taken far less seriously than ones that are more balanced and reasonable. So many teens think that marijuana is absolutely harmless and that adults are Chicken Littles screaming about how the sky is falling. I feel like the classes we've had at my school that are more comprehensive and balanced have helped with responsible use. We've learned how marijuana affects people under the age of 25 who are still cognitively developing differently from adults. We've learned about how it can be very paradoxical and cause both anxiety, paranoia, and fear and calmness, depending on the person, what was consumed, and the quantity of it. It can cause weight gain, or weight loss. With younger people who might not yet have been diagnosed with a condition they have, marijuana can create more problems because they don't realize that it could impact them differently than friends. As I wrote before, it's been used as a maladaptive coping mechanism, both for ordinary problems such as to distract from stresses of the day or to fill up time when bored - to being used as a substitute for appropriate care for more significant problems like cutting, depression, bipolar, eating disorders, and the like. Understanding all that can actually help a teen be able to recognize when a friend is using marijuana inappropriately and to try to help.

Education wouldn't just come from schools and PSAs, though. If it was legally available, and regulated there would likely be labels with instructions on how much to use, who shouldn't use it, what to do in the event of accidental overdose, and the like. They wouldn't have to look to the internet for answers but would instead have information about their specific product in their hand.

Many who sell marijuana are actually productive and benevolent people who are trying to provide something they believe is helpful to others. Many are also responsible about it and wouldn't sell it to kids. I know of a veteran who provides it in a state where medical marijuana isn't available yet to other veterans who are helped more by it than with prescription medication for various physical and emotional problems. He's one of the least "fluffy" people I've ever met. Of course there are also people who only care about the money and don't give a flying frickadoodle about the person buying it, or why. There are also doctors who irresponsibly overmedicate patients and ones who are ethical. I don't believe in looking only at the positives or the negatives, but about the whole spectrum in between.

Thank you for sharing your experience, it brings needed input on the subject of pot use for medical purposes which I support. It's unfortunate that in the case of pot, widespread abuse came before the legitimate use unlike other prescription drugs that started out as helpful as proscribed but then abused.

You have my support, catch a buzz and get the munchies.

Upvote 0