Should Recreational Drug Use Be Decriminalized?

dinonum

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
Indiana
✟29,804.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it would beneficial to decriminalize the use of these drugs, while still maintaining laws regarding the selling and importing of many of them. Criminalizing addiction is a huge problem in my opinion, that then follows the addict around for the rest of their life and can damage the chances of finding quality employment, housing, etc. I believe it punishes the wrong person.

Upvote 0

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
If you want a war on drugs, get the muslims onside. Well that used to be my "genius" idea. If everyone's stoned well probably end up ccrashing into the book of revelation, by accident. Or the devils own party. Perserve the intellect, preserve the species, preserve the planet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It is said that the "war on drugs" in America has been a failure, I say they just haven't been fighting it right. I'm opposed to decriminalization of addictive drugs. I would focus less on possession by users, but go after the importers more vigorously.

What say you?
I say possession of drugs for recreational use should be absolutely legal. I believe drugs should be sold and regulated just like alcohol and tobacco to adults who wish to consume them. I also think more emphasis shoukd be put into educating people against drug use instead of limiting their liberty to do them.

Reactions: rrguy
Upvote 0

GrimKingGrim

The Thin Dead Line of sanity
Apr 13, 2015
Isle of Who?
✟10,468.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Weed doesn't have any harmful effects and plenty practical medical uses but other drugs can do very nasty things to people and make them a hassle on others and a problem. Things like PCP and Meth. Plus there's vehicle and mechanical operation to consider while intoxicated on several different things.

Upvote 0

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
If is a free adult economic transaction, then it seems fair, but then theres the isssue of harm done as opposed to benefit given. If these things harm people and society as a result, is that worth freeing? Especially if people are unawares of what may happen to them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it would beneficial to decriminalize the use of these drugs, while still maintaining laws regarding the selling and importing of many of them. Criminalizing addiction is a huge problem in my opinion, that then follows the addict around for the rest of their life and can damage the chances of finding quality employment, housing, etc. I believe it punishes the wrong person.
I agree with that you shouldn't throw someone in jail for using pot but when you legalize it as in Holland it gets way too easy for everyone to get it and to sell a bit to someone else. We have villages here where almost all the 13 or 16 year olds use it. I had a 16 year old boy at my house asking me if I could buy some for him since He wasn't old enough and he saw my ex going to the coffee shop (a coffee shop here is where they sell pot, not coffee) at the corner all the time who also started when he was 15.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I agree with that you shouldn't throw someone in jail for using pot but when you legalize it as in Holland it gets way too easy for everyone to get it and to sell a bit to someone else. We have villages here where almost all the 13 or 16 year olds use it. I had a 16 year old boy at my house asking me if I could buy some for him since He wasn't old enough and he saw my ex going to the coffee shop (a coffee shop here is where they sell pot, not coffee) at the corner all the time who also started when he was 15.

Some people start drinking underage... but they turn out okay. I don't think it's that big a problem. The same could be said of smoking.

I don't think these are good reason to outlaw liberties. You allow the liberty, try to reduce the risks, and accept the potential problems as what happens in a free society.

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I'm a recovering addict and drunk, so I do have experience with addiction.

* Don't lock up the addicted users for possession.

* In terms of the war on highly addictive and dangerous drugs such as crack/cocaine, meth, heroin/opiates, a dealer bringing large weight into America IS committing a violent crime worse than the ultimate death of many addicts and associated crimes involved in the drug culture. I'm in favor of lifetime incarceration in self sustaining prisons or the death penalty.

* The human condition is one of weakness, high powered drugs are just to much from many to contend with. It seems it's often the poor and socially disadvantaged in society that are the most vulnerable.

* We are one big human family, what hurts one member of the family hurts all.

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm a recovering addict and drunk, so I do have experience with addiction.

* Don't lock up the addicted users for possession.

* In terms of the war on highly addictive and dangerous drugs such as crack/cocaine, meth, heroin/opiates, a dealer bringing large weight into America IS committing a violent crime worse than the ultimate death of many addicts and associated crimes involved in the drug culture. I'm in favor of lifetime incarceration in self sustaining prisons or the death penalty.

* The human condition is one of weakness, high powered drugs are just to much from many to contend with. It seems it's often the poor and socially disadvantaged in society that are the most vulnerable.

* We are one big human family, what hurts one member of the family hurts all.
Death penalty for the dealers and grace for the users? Also for people who sell alcohol and one takes too much and dies? Weird.

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I say possession of drugs for recreational use should be absolutely legal. I believe drugs should be sold and regulated just like alcohol and tobacco to adults who wish to consume them. I also think more emphasis shoukd be put into educating people against drug use instead of limiting their liberty to do them.

I kind of want to SCREAM when people say it should be regulated to control it, it's already entirely illegal!!!! and that isn't controlling it.

In America everything prohibitionist said about alcohol has come true, and now the argument for weed is that "well isn't not nearly as bad as alcohol".....does anyone else see that as odd?

Today in America 211 people will die from alcoholism that we can directly connect, 28 people will die today from drunk driving accidents. It's not news because we've come to accept it, but if 28 died from food poisoning at a McDonalds they would shut them all down, it would be a 24/7 news cycle for weeks, months!

Reactions: Messy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Death penalty for the dealers and grace for the users? Also for people who sell alcohol and one takes too much and dies? Weird.

When you are hooked on the drug then it's over, jail doesn't fix the problem, it delays more using and cost tax payers. However they must be held accountable for any other associated crime like theft etc. It's the dealer who got them hooked in the first place that is culpable. I don't see that as weird. Was not Satan, Adam and Eve held accountable for the impact of their folly on the rest of mankind?

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When you are hooked on the drug then it's over, jail doesn't fix the problem, it delays more using and cost tax payers. However they must be held accountable for any other associated crime like theft etc. It's the dealer who got them hooked in the first place that is culpable. I don't see that as weird. Was not Satan, Adam and Eve held accountable for the impact of their folly on the rest of mankind?
Yes but a dealer isn't satan. There are also people dealing alcohol and cigarettes and people die from lung cancer because of it. I heard a testimony of a man who was a drug addict and his now wife was the dealer and they both got saved. It's not unforgiveable. When you kill them they can't repent anymore.
Adam and Eve were held accountable but I believe they got saved. They didn't leave God totally and He didn't kill them and start with a new couple.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Yes but a dealer isn't satan. There are also people dealing alcohol and cigarettes and people die from lung cancer because of it. I heard a testimony of a man who was a drug addict and his now wife was the dealer and they both got saved. It's not unforgiveable. When you kill them they can't repent anymore.

The way of the transgressor is hard. If one chooses to sell drugs to others then they should be willing to accept the consequences equal to those they are infecting their victims with. If they are salvageable then judgment will take care of that.

The other option I offered was life in self sustaining prison.

Upvote 0

Conner

May 22, 2015
✟7,639.00
Faith
Non-Denom
LSD is NOT a good drug. Please look up Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys. Look around! There is a beautiful world out there! You do not need drugs to see this. Also, drugs should remain illegal BUT I do not think we should judge anyone harshly for their drug use because we all have our own problems and vices. We should protect our borders and make sure we are not getting any drugs trafficked into the USA (I only say this because this is where I live but we should encourage the same to other countries) and then we can fix a huge chunk of the problem.

Upvote 0

WirSindBettler

Hoc Est Verum
Feb 7, 2015
USA
✟1,347.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
LSD is NOT a good drug. Please look up Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys.

Brian Wilson took a lot more than LSD. Besides, LSD is completely non-addictive, cures depression and cluster headaches, and the only negative affects are correlated with people who have pre-existing mental issues. So no, it's pretty safe, actually.

Upvote 0