should people have children?

Oct 12, 2010
Northern Ireland
✟15,280.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I don't believe so. Inequality, we are not all born equal, people can pretend we are, but they would have to have their "blinkers" on to really believe this. One person will be beautiful, another will be disfigured. One person will have a great ability to learn and another will be mentally handicapped.

I not only dissaprove of people having children, but I believe it to be one of the most selfish acts a human can commit.

No one has ever been able to give me a good reason to have kids, all the reasons I have been given have been very selfish. The reason most people want kids seems to be for the simple fact that they like kids and always wanted a family.

As long as humans are around there will always be inequality, some people will be born with a good set of cards, others a bad set.

Why bother to take that chance? I know I won't, are humans even worth saving as a species?

alizayjames

Sep 29, 2010
✟15,120.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I think its something based on personal choice and not a controversial issue at all. If you don't want children don't have them. And whats wrong in having a child who does not conform to standards of normalcy regarding looks and physical attributes, do they not receive love from parents..and then how can we forget that these very disfigured children we have will have a special place in heaven, God has promised that us humans.

Upvote 0

GrannieAnnie

Senior Veteran
Mar 27, 2007
Western Australia
✟18,813.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I probably shouldn't have had children....I have 2, both adults now, but I suffered from depression all my life.....and didn't know it till about 13 yrs ago, when I was diagnosed...and I'm sure my illness adversely affected my children. They would have been better off without me as their mother.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't believe so. Inequality, we are not all born equal, people can pretend we are, but they would have to have their "blinkers" on to really believe this. One person will be beautiful, another will be disfigured. One person will have a great ability to learn and another will be mentally handicapped.

I not only dissaprove of people having children, but I believe it to be one of the most selfish acts a human can commit.

No one has ever been able to give me a good reason to have kids, all the reasons I have been given have been very selfish. The reason most people want kids seems to be for the simple fact that they like kids and always wanted a family.

As long as humans are around there will always be inequality, some people will be born with a good set of cards, others a bad set.

Why bother to take that chance? I know I won't, are humans even worth saving as a species?

we are designed to procreate and it is not a mistake. there may be thousands of reasons why someone chooses to have children or not and sometimes it isn't even a choice or the motives may be purely selfish. But even so, we cannot deny the design that God has based our bodies around.

Inequality is a part of life but it speaks to us that we are not some cookie cutter creation but all are created uniquely even if some can be described as lesser than others. Inequality speaks to us a message of grace that forgiveness is not about our own abilities and it never will be; no matter how strong and powerful we think we are nothing without God. Our sense of worth or function should not be defined by our abilities but be defined but what God's focus for us is. Inequality also speaks to us a message of sin that we are all born into and thus our need for God (back to grace). We are born with imperfections because that is the effect of sin on our lives. Sin is about pain and suffering and in the end brings death; sin is separation from God. Grace is about restoration and forgiveness, even healing and in the end it brings life and fellowship with God. These effects are certainly spiritual but just look around, they are clearly physical as well.

Procreation can be described as an expression of worship to God believe it or not. In fact everything we do should be a expression of worship back to God and since God has designed us to procreate we can be certain that we can worship him through the joining of two people and our off spring. The fact that we can take pleasure or have personal motives in having children does not disqualify that fact that it can be part of worship. Worship to God is not about bowing on the ground with your head down low it about obedience to God in what he has designed us for. To each person God has his own design and plan and yes this can also be inequality in our terms but it is pure desire and love for each of us in God's terms.

Upvote 0

Oshulten

Oct 13, 2010
✟15,174.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
According to one of the first verses in the Genesis, God explicitly told humanity to fill the earth. So doing the opposite is obviously going against God's will. However, why then does God create children unequal? Unequally beautiful, or talented, or whatever.

My opinion is that it's highly irresponsible to have a child knowing that you cannot give it the love, time and safety that it deserves, no matter how it's made.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear jonnyfavourite. It is God`s will that we multiply, and to be able to have children is one of God`s greatest gifts to us. May I say this humbly and with love, jonny? Perhaps you should not risk having children, to have children is loving them, whatever the cost. Sadly, there are women who are unable to have a child, and they would love to have a child. Yet sadly too, there are children born into a loveless world. Thanks to our loving Heavenly Father, there are many good people who help to alleviate much of this. BUT we can still pray, and also watch over those little ones, and one day God/Jesus will tell us: " Well done my son or daughter, I was unwanted and you took me in." God gave us this gift, and we cannot let the innocent children suffer. Greetings from Emmy, sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

Sanesoul

Oct 6, 2010
Land of the Curious Crows
✟7,669.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Aside from Christ's love, there is nothing more fulfilling on this planet than loving a child. It's indescribable to someone who does not have children. It may be selfish, I don't know. My daughter was unplanned, but I don't love her any less because of that. In fact, I would give my life for her in a moment. I believe that I was meant to be a mother, and I love every moment of it.

Upvote 0

NachoND

Jul 13, 2010
North Dakota
✟15,140.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married

What if you parents would have had the same attitude as you do???????:idea:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 12, 2010
Northern Ireland
✟15,280.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Dear jonnyfavourite. It is God`s will that we multiply, and to be able to have children is one of God`s greatest gifts to us. May I say this humbly and with love, jonny? Perhaps you should not risk having children, to have children is loving them, whatever the cost. Sadly, there are women who are unable to have a child, and they would love to have a child. Yet sadly too, there are children born into a loveless world. Thanks to our loving Heavenly Father, there are many good people who help to alleviate much of this. BUT we can still pray, and also watch over those little ones, and one day God/Jesus will tell us: " Well done my son or daughter, I was unwanted and you took me in." God gave us this gift, and we cannot let the innocent children suffer. Greetings from Emmy, sister in Christ.

I would never have children, that's taken care of. You seem to be misunderstanding me, I don't want any inequality, it upsets me too much. I am a very caring person, that's why to me having children is nothing but a selfish act.

For the record, I have been told I would make an excellent dad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

addo

Jan 29, 2010
Spain
✟16,049.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Genesis 1:27-28
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number ..."
I hope this answers why we should procreate (if we can and it is appropriate).

Upvote 0

addo

Jan 29, 2010
Spain
✟16,049.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I would never have children, that's taken care of. You seem to be misunderstanding me, I don't want any inequality, it upsets me too much. I am a very caring person, that's why to me having children is nothing but a selfish act.
But tell me: is it not better for them to live than not to live at all?

And do you not believe that God takes care?

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2010
Northern Ireland
✟15,280.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
So you're a misanthropist then?

no, I wouldn't use that term. My opinion is formed out of love and because I see so much suffering, where a lot of people are okay with it. I am not ok with any suffering that goes on in this world.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 12, 2010
Northern Ireland
✟15,280.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number ..."

The world is overpopulated now, I believe that command was for that time, not now.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2010
Northern Ireland
✟15,280.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I think its something based on personal choice and not a controversial issue at all. If you don't want children don't have them. And whats wrong in having a child who does not conform to standards of normalcy regarding looks and physical attributes, do they not receive love from parents..and then how can we forget that these very disfigured children we have will have a special place in heaven, God has promised that us humans.

Love from parents is not going to make life that much easier for the kid when he/she has to go out into the big bad world. Would you enjoy walking down the street getting stared at, laughed at , abused?

It upsets me that most people never think about how much of a living nightmare life actually is for some people...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't believe God intervines often at this point in time.

I don't think it's always better to live.

The world is overpopulated now, I believe that command was for that time, not now.

Love from parents is not going to make life that much easier for the kid when he/she has to go out into the big bad world. Would you enjoy walking down the street getting stared at, laughed at , abused?

It upsets me that most people never think about how much of a living nightmare life actually is for some people...

our position on earth is not for us to decide. We are all limited and some people's limitations seem so great that you wonder what the point really is. But its not up to human understanding it about God's understanding. We do not dictate if a person has pain and suffering over another and attempting to control this by ending life or deliberately starting life for the pure focus of avoiding pain and suffering is an example of un-surrender to God; we need to surrender all things, including life over to God.

Sin is about death and pain and suffering, Grace is about life and restoration. This is a physical battle as much as it is a spiritual. When given the opportunity we should always choose the focus of Grace over the focus of sin. Meaning we should not cause death simply because we feel it is best because death is a byproduct of sin. Nor should we restrain life simply because we think the effects of sin are too strong. We should always promote life, which is a by product of grace and the correct focus. We can choose not to have children because of medical recommendations about the quality of life and that is your choice but that does not make a child like that unloved by God and to simply choose not to have a child because of a random chance of inequality is not the message of the gospel that we should be focusing on.

Life always should be the focus over death, and Grace always over sin despite the effect sin may still take (pain and suffering). This is a strong message of the bible and ultimately Grace will defeat sin which is death, pain and suffering, and the separation of God. So whatever our understanding of pain and suffering is in this world will all be defeated in the next. The fact a child or adult may have even extreme levels of pain and suffering is not a reason to not choose life. Instead we need to claim the ultimate authority Christ has given to us that sin and it's effects will be defeated if not in this world than in the next.

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
God's command was only to Adam and Eve - not all of humanity. Not to mention, I think God would have a problem with us continuing to populate this Earth when the majority of the population lives hungry and poor.

Upvote 0