Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I can't speak to that, because I haven't seen it. But, I can see how that might be an issue.

The economy is going to dictate our lives whether we "let" it or not. There is nothing morally wrong with mere acceptance and participation in the present economic system. Where it becomes problematic is when it becomes consumeristic: when our use of money becomes about fulfilling desires and wants rather than needs and where business responds by producing ever more things for us to want. But, there is a difference between this and mere participation in the economy.

I am not a farmer, so when I need food I go to grocery store and buy food that someone else grew. I am not a carpenter, so when I need furniture, I go a furniture store and buy something that someone else made. I am not skilled in textiles, so when I need clothing, I buy something that someone else made. These are all examples of participation in the economy. In each case, I need money to be able to participate. I suspect that you do the same.

Nothing in Scripture suggests that there is anything wrong with this. None of us laypeople seem to have a problem with accepting and participating in this system. So, I am confused why we would expect pastors to somehow be above economics. :scratch:

The economy will dictate our lives always? I don't think so, not if we really put our minds to refute it in it's entirety.

you dont have to be a farmer to grow food, nor do you have to be a carpenter to build something out of wood...or maybe you can be all of these things at once. You NEED money? It would be a horrible existence without it, since we do HAVE to live in the world, but money only affords you the convenience of not having to do all the things you "need" to do yourself. If you really put effort into it, you could make your own clothes, grow your own foods, build your own house...with the help of your community of course. I do the same, this is only my interpretation of such a "perfect world." It's conceptual at best, so I digress with the final point that we all limit ourselves via labels in order to convenience ourselves of not having to do it all, we pay others to do it for us.

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

The economy will dictate our lives always? I don't think so, not if we really put our minds to refute it in it's entirety.

But, why should we? Throughout Scripture, men and women of faith lived within their economic context with no indication from God that there was anything wrong with that. Paul talked about buying meat from the market. Joseph arranged the sale of grains to the known world during the drought. Solomon acquired great wealth. There is nothing in Scripture to suggest that any of these people were in the wrong for these choices.

you dont have to be a farmer to grow food, nor do you have to be a carpenter to build something out of wood...or maybe you can be all of these things at once. You NEED money? It would be a horrible existence without it, since we do HAVE to live in the world, but money only affords you the convenience of not having to do all the things you "need" to do yourself. If you really put effort into it, you could make your own clothes, grow your own foods, build your own house...with the help of your community of course.

What is an economy other than the means by which a community of people have arranged for the transfer of goods and services? Sure, you can live like the Amish and attempt escape from the modern economy. But, even the Amish live within an economic context. They barter for goods and services, and incidentally, they also sell and buy things they need with money. The only way that I can see that one really can truly escape "worldly economics" is to live as a hermit somewhere, growing one's own food, making one's own clothes, and deliberately refusing contact with the outside world. You would have a hard time, however, convincing me that such a lifestyle is consistent with Scripture.

I do the same, this is only my interpretation of such a "perfect world." It's conceptual at best, so I digress with the final point that we all limit ourselves via labels in order to convenience ourselves of not having to do it all, we pay others to do it for us.

I understand that you speak in ideals. But, we don't live in Utopia. You don't live your life as though we live in a perfect world and neither do I. That said, it is a bit far fetched to expect that standard out of our pastors.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
im sorry, i know that i must have insinuated that pastors should live this way...but I believe that we should all live this way...im just too selfish to do it. Why should we? Because the love of money is the root of all evil, so if we got rid of the money it's just one step closer to Christ imho. In retrospect though, Christ had Judas carry and deal with the money, on one hand He separated Himself from it, on the other He did not renounce it.

Upvote 0

Watergirl

Jun 3, 2006
✟2,257.00
Faith
Baptist
im sorry, i know that i must have insinuated that pastors should live this way...but I believe that we should all live this way

Why?

Because the love of money is the root of all evil, so if we got rid of the money it's just one step closer to Christ imho.

I'll make you a deal: you get closer to Christ by doing works of alleged piety that the Bible never tells us to do, and I'll keep my stuff and get closer to Christ by studying His word and prayer.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Might want to look at Matthew 19:21-28 a little more closely in your studies then. Jesus tells the rich man that if he wants to be perfect he must give away everything he owes as well as "Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, 19honor your father and mother,'[d] and 'love your neighbor as yourself." I believe this also answers your question of "why." Matthew 19 also seems to insinuate a bit of promoted legalism on the part of Jesus, you must follow (an action) in order to be saved. You can study until your eyes fall out, but if nothing is practiced then nothing is truly learned nor followed. Man...I'm a huge hypocrite.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2010
USA
✟15,318.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm actually Eastern Orthodox and I was talking to one of my Baptist friends. She attends the biggest Baptist church in our city and she says she and her family and many of the parish members are starting to dislike or never liked their pastor. Apparently the pastor wouldn't take a pay-cut to even support, financially, the janitors who clean their church. His children are top of the line spoiled with new cars, gadgets, etc. and his children do some wrong things while attending a church camp (IE. Making out , etc.). Several times I've caught or seen his children cheating on several tests when I was in high school with them (because they usually cheated off of me or used their phones to look up answers).Is this problem always been in the Baptist Church or what? Is this the sort of life a pastor should be leading? I've always followed the saying "Practice what you preach" and if your leading a double life like that , I find that you should just drop out of the pastor profession.

Upvote 0

jthomas1600

Dec 15, 2009
✟15,190.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
im sorry, i know that i must have insinuated that pastors should live this way...but I believe that we should all live this way...im just too selfish to do it. Why should we? Because the love of money is the root of all evil, so if we got rid of the money it's just one step closer to Christ imho. In retrospect though, Christ had Judas carry and deal with the money, on one hand He separated Himself from it, on the other He did not renounce it.

"The love of money is the root of all evil" is a concept that can exist with out actual money. If we went to a barter system, a grow your own food/make your own clothes system you don't think there would still be the temptation to be the richest guy in town? In your system a guy could still desire to have the most goats, the biggest house, and the fanciest clothes. That sounds like the same sin as "the love of money" to me.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,657.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Is this problem always been in the Baptist Church or what? Is this the sort of life a pastor should be leading? I've always followed the saying "Practice what you preach" and if your leading a double life like that , I find that you should just drop out of the pastor profession.

If you are asking if sin is a problem, then yes, it is. It is a human problem.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
"The love of money is the root of all evil" is a concept that can exist with out actual money. If we went to a barter system, a grow your own food/make your own clothes system you don't think there would still be the temptation to be the richest guy in town? In your system a guy could still desire to have the most goats, the biggest house, and the fanciest clothes. That sounds like the same sin as "the love of money" to me.

thus money is defined as "any article or substance used as a medium of exchange, measure of wealth, or means of payment, as checks on demand deposit or cowrie."

The idea is still in trade and exchange...if there was no need for these things due to self-efficiency, only laziness is what would need to be addressed.

Then we have to ask the question: Why do people need to be governed?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums