Should Christians totally abstain from alcohol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charityagape

Blue Chicken Gives You Horns
May 6, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟24,930.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do you know my supervising RN told me that drinking excessive amounts of cola does the same amount of damage to your liver as drinking excessive amounts of alcohol does. I say all Christians should stop drinking cola, you don't want to risk becoming addicted and be guilty of breaking God's commandment not to kill by slowly killing your liver.

Upvote 0

Just Me Garry

Feb 5, 2005
Arkansas
✟1,625.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Good question. I like pure grape juice for health benefits and that stuff can be pretty strong at times.

Is it ok for a Christan to drink alcohol? Yes/No Both.

Let us look at scripture:

1. could be deceptive: Prov 20:1
20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise
KJV

2. causes sickness and one to utter profantiy
causes one to be hardend to the effects of such.
Prov 23:29-35

29 Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes?

30 They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine.

31 Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.

32 At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.

33 Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things.

34 Yea, thou shalt be as he that lieth down in the midst of the sea, or as he that lieth upon the top of a mast.

35 They have stricken me, shalt thou say, and I was not sick; they have beaten me, and I felt it not: when shall I awake? I will seek it yet again.
KJV

3. Causes justice to be perveted when kings indulge in such:
Prov 31:4-5

4 It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:

5 Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted.
KJV

4. Can be used as a sedative when used in moderation
1 Tim 5:23

23 Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.
KJV

5. Could be a stumblingblock for a weaker brother or sister:
Rom 14:13

13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.
KJV
:preach:

Upvote 0

Dragons87

The regal Oriental kind; not evil princess-napper
Nov 13, 2005
London, UK
✟4,572.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Actually, Jesus, and later Paul, speaks out against every kind of addictions to Earthly stuff. Some substances are naturally addictive, such as drugs, smoking and alcohol. Then obviously one has to be really careful with these substances. Moreover, excessive alcohol can lead to drunkeness and loss of self-control, and all sorts of nasty stuff can happen after one becomes drunk.

But occasional doses of alcohol is fine. Jesus had wine Himself for the Last Supper...and Jesus didn't sin.

Upvote 0

ischus

ΙΣΧΥΣ ΚΑΙ ΤΙΜΗ
Mar 13, 2004
Visit site
✟3,170.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Cliff2 said:
Did you read what the Bible says in post 549?

Sorry, I am having a hard time interpreting your posts. Are you being serious here? Are we saying the same thing perhaps?

I said that Jesus was offered wine two times. One here (which you quoted), where he tastes and then rejects it. Another while on the cross, where he receives it.

Where is the misunderstanding?

Upvote 0

charityagape

May 6, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟24,930.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
:( aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah must.......not.......breath.........turning blue....don't want........to breath.........and kill..........brain cells............................... .................................................................................................
..................................................................................................

WAIT! Does not breathing kill brain cells?

:doh:

Upvote 0

Cliff2

Oct 7, 2004
✟11,993.00
Faith
SDA
charityagape said:
:( aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah must.......not.......breath.........turning blue....don't want........to breath.........and kill..........brain cells............................... .................................................................................................
..................................................................................................

WAIT! Does not breathing kill brain cells?

:doh:

Especially when there is alcohol in the blood stream.

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
According to National Center for Health Statistics.

Number of deaths for leading causes of death:
Heart disease: 696,947
Cancer: 557,271
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 162,672
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 124,816
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 106,742
Diabetes: 73,249
Influenza/Pneumonia: 65,681
Alzheimer's disease: 58,866
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 40,974
Septicemia: 33,865
Source: Deaths: Final Data for 2002, tables 9, 10

I think there are other health issues at hand much more than alcohol. Can this thread stop now?

Upvote 0

Cliff2

Oct 7, 2004
✟11,993.00
Faith
SDA
JimfromOhio said:

I think there are other health issues at hand much more than alcohol. Can this thread stop now?

Out of all those deaths I wonder just how much a part alcohol played in them.

Look at accidents, over 100,000. How many of them died because alcohol was involved?

I guess we will never know for sure.

I will do some more checking up on this aspect.

Upvote 0

Cliff2

Oct 7, 2004
✟11,993.00
Faith
SDA
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]"4. When we are under the influence of alcohol or drugs, violence increases. Alcohol makes all people stupid and some people violent. A huge percentage of impulsive violence takes place under the influence of alcohol or other drugs. This is a particular problem with first-time or inexperienced drinkers. With little experience measuring the effects of alcohol, youth often drink too much, too often, and in the wrong places. [/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]"I don't remember why it even started. We had a lot of beers and smoked some reefer. I didn't think he would die." A comment from a 17-year-old-boy who was one of three who beat a classmate to death at a party after a fight broke out — apparently about a parking place."[/font]

Click here for a full report

"Accidents

While a person is under the influence of alcohol he or she is far more likely to have an accident than while sober because alcohol adversely affects judgement and perception. Thirty percent of vehicle drivers killed in road accidents within the UK were found to have been drinking alcohol beforehand. Many of those who died in such a manner may well have caused the death or injury of other road users. What a waste."

Taken from here

In both case these are partial reports into alcohol use. These are not even taken from a Christian perspective, but even a casual glance one can easily see that it is far better from a Christian point of view to leave it alone and never touch alcohol at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cliff2

Oct 7, 2004
✟11,993.00
Faith
SDA
JimfromOhio said:

Click here for a balanced view on alcohol use.

Here is just a sample of what you will see if you click onto the above link.

"In May 1964, the AMA stated that it was not opposed to smoking and tobacco, and published a brochure titled: “Smoking: Facts You Should Know,” warning of some dangers from smoking, but the conclusion was, ‘smoke if you feel you should, but be moderate.’ This advice has resulted in the illnesses and deaths of untold millions of Americans. Actually, the dangers from smoking were known decades ago, but this was not an important issue until the media picked up on the deception and the public became more concerned. There was even a well-known theory that if a person insisted on smoking, then they should also have an alcoholic drink to dissolve the nicotine. Some physicians, even when aware of the health risks from alcohol use, hesitate to tell their patients to eliminate alcohol in their diets because they may choose not to return for another appointment. Those who want to continue using wine, beer, or liquor, can easily find another doctor who will give them permission to ‘drink moderately.’ "

To think it was only 40 years ago that the medical profession was supporting smoking.

We may have to wait another 40 years before the medical profession will come out of the closset and tell the truth about the use of alcohol.

When are Christians going to stand tall and stop supporting the use of alcohol.

"Following are two articles on "Alcohol and Accidents." Feel free to copy and use facts, perhaps for a letter to the editor of a newspaper in your area, or to read to a community group. Individuals need reminding of the risks of alcohol and driving, especially at holiday times of the year such as July 4th, Christmas and New Year's, etc., when traffic fatalities increase.
  1. Every day 45 Americans lose their lives and over 800 are injured in alcohol-related crashes, and one out of three people who are killed are not the driver. Forty percent of all traffic fatalities (the leading cause of accidental deaths) are alcohol related, and alcohol has been implicated in many other kinds of accidents as well, says the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA). According to MADD, it only takes one drink to double the chances of a fatal car crash."
Taken from here which was linked to
the original story.

Why would anyone want to support the use of alcohol?

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,189,975.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Cliff2 said:
Why would anyone want to support the use of alcohol?
There is absolutely nothing wrong with proper use of alcohol. I don't think you will find anyone here, however, who supports abuse of alcohol.

Upvote 0
M

martin75

i've battled with drink since i was about 15. now i've settled down to just drinking beer, no spirits, no wine. and i drink no more than about five pints, probably in a week i will drink ten to fifteen pints
during the time I got myself together spiritually, last few years I have, become a lot more happy about finding a balance, i no longer need or want to drink to escape. now i'm happy where i am.
i would say its not about abstaining from alcohol if your a christian, but if your a christian it will help you to be moderate and not seek escapism
what I have found is i don't fit in with the average drinking crowd anymore, they're a good bunch but its a bit too hectic for me. prefer an old pub with open fire and some real ale, where you can hold non-shouted conversations!

Martin

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Quijote

a.k.a Mr. Q
May 5, 2005
Wisconsin
✟40,638.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
GQ Chris said:
I happen to like having a tall glass of Guiness every now and then. Is it a sin if a Christian likes to imbibe every now and then?

Oh Shucks!

How I hate to come so late to a discussion! :doh:

Anyway, as long as there is no abuse of the intaking alcohol beverages I believe that you are fine enjoying your Guiness! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

AnthonyE1778

Nov 16, 2005
Texas
✟702.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I myself do believe that Christians should completely abstain from alcohol if it personal pleasure. I do understand that there are certain medical techniques that involve alchohol, yet for human pleasure and gain it should be completely avoided

Upvote 0

charityagape

May 6, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟24,930.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Should all things that give humans pleasure be avoided? If not all things, please do tell what pleasures are acceptable and what are not? And explain why the acceptable ones are acceptable and the unacceptable ones are not.

Upvote 0

Quijote

a.k.a Mr. Q
May 5, 2005
Wisconsin
✟40,638.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
AnthonyE1778 said:
I myself do believe that Christians should completely abstain from alcohol if it personal pleasure. I do understand that there are certain medical techniques that involve alchohol, yet for human pleasure and gain it should be completely avoided

Just to clarify.

Are you trying to say that doing something that is pleasurable is wrong?

thanks

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.