Should Christians support things that contradict/belittle their beliefs?

Crowns&Laurels

Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The media and government seem to be against many Christian ideas and beliefs. Should Christians do something about this and stop financially supporting such things?

The reason why so many Christians have chosen to support things contrary to Christianity is because it is easy. It doesn't require courage like the Apostles and it will make one a spectacle to unbelievers- that is, enjoying the reward of the world over that of God. This is called having no salt, and standing in the way of the light.

Here is a message that needs to echo a bit louder in the Christian body:
bfb970c4a34a8f4b5373df58da2005db.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The reason why so many Christians have chosen to support things contrary to Christianity is because it is easy. It doesn't require courage like the Apostles and it will make one a spectacle to unbelievers- that is, enjoying the reward of the world over that of God. This is called having no salt, and standing in the way of the light.

Here is a message that needs to echo a bit louder in the Christian body:
Or they think things in the bible are men making things up. To fit with their hateful thoughts.

Upvote 0

Crowns&Laurels

Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Or they think things in the bible are men making things up. To fit with their hateful thoughts.

That doesn't even make sense, being as how I was speaking of Christians. See, you can't be a Christian and think the Bible was made up.

Nice try throwing your atheism into it, though :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Should Christians support things that contradict/belittle their beliefs?

The media and government seem to be against many Christian ideas and beliefs. Should Christians do something about this and stop financially supporting such things?

Indubitably.

Reactions: sahjimira
Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The media and government seem to be against many Christian ideas and beliefs. Should Christians do something about this and stop financially supporting such things?[/QUOTE

CHristians are commanded to obey our Government Officials except when they strictly go against Gods moral law . Then we are to obey God and not Man. Yes, it will come with a great deal of persecution, ridicule, ostracizing , etc...but that is the cross we are to carry being One in Christ . Not only should we as Christians disobey anti God philosophies but we are called to expose them as in Ephesians 5:11-13 because they are evil. It takes a strong God loving Christian to not waver in this endeavor but I think most Christians are tolerant to it which are a atheistic Humanist tenets.

Reactions: Echolipse
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
They also seem to be against Islamic ideas and beliefs so maybe this isn't the direct attack on Christianity you seem to think it is.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What I find most interesting about this question is that God Himself grants us freewill and yet many Christians would rather deny someone that right. They'd rather tell the person what is right and then force them by law to follow that belief.

Upvote 0

Echolipse

Watcher and Studier
Nov 17, 2012
Florida
✟15,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What I find most interesting about this question is that God Himself grants us freewill and yet many Christians would rather deny someone that right. They'd rather tell the person what is right and then force them by law to follow that belief.

Unfortunately you are correct and this is known as legalism. The act and practice that a Christian or people in a church force another christian to follow by their rules/laws they have set because of how they interpret biblical teaching. Sadly those who force this and teach this either don't know their bible too well or don't read their bible at all. I lived inside of legalism from when i was an infant till about 2 years ago. It's difficult to break free of it because of things you were taught that are wrong or evil, but are not, your parents or church-family simply didn't understand it and in turn feared it. Much of biblical teaching is to help each believer with generalities of their walk with Christ and then in the private time with God is when they get their personal teaching and instruction from God and thus helping them listen to Holy Spirit.

Also any preacher who is against you studying and researching what he teaches shouldn't be a preacher. Any and all pastors should be completely for you checking on his teachings to help you grow more in Christ.

Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

All beliefs should stand on their own merits.

Clearly, not everyone will agree with your faith beliefs, but you are free to hold onto them for as long as you like.

Upvote 0

GrimKingGrim

The Thin Dead Line of sanity
Apr 13, 2015
Isle of Who?
✟10,468.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You're in for a hard sell when lobsterfest comes around. Honestly it's not that serious. You know this isn't a Christian nation.

I'd switch tracks and say Christians should try to INFLUENCE the media and government so that they are better institutions.

^ These are both terrible ideas

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
It's partly because people don't sin in a vaccuum. What we do effects others. With certain exceptions, society is better when individual behavior is better.

Reactions: Saricharity
Upvote 0

GrimKingGrim

The Thin Dead Line of sanity
Apr 13, 2015
Isle of Who?
✟10,468.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's partly because people don't sin in a vaccuum. What we do effects others. Society is better when individual behavior is better.

*affects

And better as defined by Christians and Christians alone? As in basically fascism if you take it to it's logical end.

I don't see what sins you believe affect you so much, care to elaborate?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
With certain exceptions, society is better when individual behavior is better.
Indeed. But who gets to decide what is
It's partly because people don't sin in a vaccuum. What we do effects others. With certain exceptions, society is better when individual behavior is better.
What Grim said...

In our secular society, why should it be Christians who decide what right and wrong is? We could just as easily take Islam as the basis for what is right and wrong.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I didn't mean to imply it was my own personal view. I was only trying to answer the question of why Christians would do this. I tend to be the sort that wants to allow for as much personal liberty as we can and still function as a society. Small small government. TEACH values, have a good core culture, but allow choices. No Big Brother. Sorry for not wording things better.

Upvote 0

Yeshuas_My_Freedom

Put your faith in charge, not your fears!
Oct 12, 2015
✟10,187.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Would you give some examples of what Christian ideas and beliefs media and government are against? And share what you'd propose be done by the Christian in response?

Reactions: BeStill&Know
Upvote 0

The Antigrrrl

May 18, 2012
✟16,072.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
*affects

And better as defined by Christians and Christians alone? As in basically fascism if you take it to it's logical end.

Murder, theft, bearing false witness( perjury), rape, child abuse are all considered sins by the majority of Christians, I would say those are all things that affect others.

Upvote 0