Should Christians rest on the Sabbath (saturday) and rejoice on the Lords day (sunday)?

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19 Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven
Yes, that's right. So if you know this passage, why do you avoid admitting that Christ is come to fulfill the law?

Upvote 0

1John2:4

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
So you're saying that there are reasons which you consider acceptable for disobeying God's commandments about offering sacrifices?

Here's what God's Word says about sacrifices and what they were and why they stopped (and why they would happen again in the future):
Christ’s Sacrifice Once for All

Hebrews 10
1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect. 2 For would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins. 3 But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year. 4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

The Sabbath was also a shadow of what was to come in the form of Christ.
Hebrews is about a change in the priesthood. The only time it speaks of the Sabbath is in 4 when it says we are to keep it. What is wrong with the shadows ?

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hebrews is about a change in the priesthood. The only time it speaks of the Sabbath is in 4 when it says we are to keep it. What is wrong with the shadows ?
I don't know, what?

Upvote 0

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I'm sorry you are interpreting me to be rude but to be very honest I can't see how anything I said can be construed as rude. I asked you questions which were pretty straightforward and speak for themselves. I provided you an example of what I was talking about by telling you about my co-worker. I am making a very serious point about "work". It seems to me that you have a very personalized version of what the Sabbath is in the sense that you define "work" in a way that suits your needs as opposed to adhering to a more legal sense of keeping the Sabbath. And I'm not even saying there's anything wrong with that, but I am trying to point out that it is not the same as the Judaic form of keeping the Sabbath.
My mom is Jewish and she does not tear TP on Friday either :) I guess it's a heart matter if you want to make it all about dos and don'ts and lording over others I guess that is one way, but it is not how most of us Sabbath keepers feel about it. Shabbat is a blessing that I look forward to every week.

Upvote 0

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Yes, that's right. So if you know this passage, why do you avoid admitting that Christ is come to fulfill the law?
Well let's see have heaven and earth passed away yet?
Fulfill means to fill up give meaning He did not say I have not come to abolish the law but abolish it. What you are saying is confusing. Read the whole verse together and don't stop at fullfill. It makes more sense if you read it in context.
When I read it this is how I understand it. I have not come to do away with the law and the prophets (the Tenakh). I came to fulfill(give meaning and purpose). Until all has come to pass and the heaven and earth are no more none of the law and the prophets shall pass away. If anyone removes or tells others to remove the Tenakh then they will be the least in the kingdom. If you teach them you will be great in the kingdom.

I know we are reading the same words I am just concerned how you are interpreting fullfilled? What I see you write is that it has the same meaning as abolish? And what about those who do and teach being great and those who don't do and teach being least what does that mean to you?

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
My mom is Jewish and she does not tear TP on Friday either :) I guess it's a heart matter if you want to make it all about dos and don'ts and lording over others I guess that is one way, but it is not how most of us Sabbath keepers feel about it. Shabbat is a blessing that I look forward to every week.
That's all fine and good, and I in no way mean to discourage you from keeping Sabbath the way you choose to. However, I don't see the way you do it, as a Christian, as being the same way that Jews (like your mom) do it, which is according to the Law.

I especially see it as duplicitous when someone who is a Christian claims to "keep the Sabbath" yet does a personalized version, making all his own decisions about what is or isn't "work", making it personalized to his own desires and the way he personally feels he should observe it turns around and tells me I am choosing to not keep God's commandments because I am not doing the same. That kind of judgment is wrong for a Christian to do and God's Word specifically forbids it.

Colossians 2:16 says
Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days

So it is hard for me to accept that a Christian "keeps the Sabbath" when he does it in his very own personalized way and then judges me for not keeping the sabbath days despite the fact that God's Word does not permit such judgment, plus all the while the person judging me isn't even keeping the Sabbath days himself except in his own way that is not in line with Law. I don't understand how one is "keeping the Sabbath day" if he is deciding that some work isn't really work and other work really is work...

Work is work, isn't it? Is work subjective? To Jews, there seems to be a standard as to what is or isn't work, but for Sabbatarian Christians it appears to me that work is subjective to each individual and that renders it meaningless, ultimately. And my experience in life (and reinforced in this thread) is that these same Sabbatarian Christians who fabricate a subjective, personalized "Sabbath" are the ones who disobey God's Word by judging me as not keeping God's commandment because I don't observe the sabbath days as they do.

Do you understand where I'm coming from? Do you really believe that Christians who don't observe the sabbath days are rightly judged by you as "not keeping God's commandments" [your words]?

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well let's see have heaven and earth passed away yet?
Fulfill means to fill up give meaning He did not say I have not come to abolish the law but abolish it. What you are saying is confusing. Read the whole verse together and don't stop at fullfill. It makes more sense if you read it in context.
When I read it this is how I understand it. I have not come to do away with the law and the prophets (the Tenakh). I came to fulfill(give meaning and purpose). Until all has come to pass and the heaven and earth are no more none of the law and the prophets shall pass away. If anyone removes or tells others to remove the Tenakh then they will be the least in the kingdom. If you teach them you will be great in the kingdom.

I know we are reading the same words I am just concerned how you are interpreting fullfilled? What I see you write is that it has the same meaning as abolish? And what about those who do and teach being great and those who don't do and teach being least what does that mean to you?
So you're saying that I am wrong in saying Christ fulfilled the law? You believe that Christ did not fulfill the law? Really?

No, I do not interpret "fulfill" as "abolish". Christ fulfills the Law in that he completes it. The Law was not meant to be eternal. The Law was in place in order that Christ could institute Grace. If there was no law which defined what sin is, what would God's Grace redeem us from? The law defines sin. God's plan was not simply to define sin and the wages of sin but to also fulfill His plan of mercy and Grace to us through Christ. In that way, Christ fulfills the Law.

That doesn't mean the law is abolished, it means that the law is reinforced and that Christ's Grace gives the law true meaning. But it also means that Christ's Grace is real and that certain things change. Sacrifices for atonement of ANY sins are no longer worth anything because the Lamb of God was the final sacrifice. Christ's sacrifice has its meaning and power because of the context of the law, but that doesn't mean we still do animal sacrifices or any of the other redemptive works or rituals.

Upvote 0

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Did
Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days
Did you ever consider that this verse may mean not to let the world judge you when you are keeping Biblical holy days. In what you do if you choose to tear TP or not.

Upvote 0

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
So you're saying that I am wrong in saying Christ fulfilled the law? You believe that Christ did not fulfill the law? Really?

No, I do not interpret "fulfill" as "abolish". Christ fulfills the Law in that he completes it. The Law was not meant to be eternal. The Law was in place in order that Christ could institute Grace. If there was no law which defined what sin is, what would God's Grace redeem us from? The law defines sin. God's plan was not simply to define sin and the wages of sin but to also fulfill His plan of mercy and Grace to us through Christ. In that way, Christ fulfills the Law.

That doesn't mean the law is abolished, it means that the law is reinforced and that Christ's Grace gives the law true meaning. But it also means that Christ's Grace is real and that certain things change. Sacrifices for atonement of ANY sins are no longer worth anything because the Lamb of God was the final sacrifice. Christ's sacrifice has its meaning and power because of the context of the law, but that doesn't mean we still do animal sacrifices or any of the other redemptive works or rituals.
What about the rest of it after fulfill? About doing and teaching and great in the kingdom and not doing and teaching and least in the kingdom? That is what comes after fulfill right? Just a thought but if we read it in context maybe we can truly examine the point Yeshua is trying to make instead of adding our own interpretation.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Did

Did you ever consider that this verse may mean not to let the world judge you when you are keeping Biblical holy days. In what you do if you choose to tear TP or not.
No.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What about the rest of it after fulfill? About doing and teaching and great in the kingdom and not doing and teaching and least in the kingdom? That is what comes after fulfill right? Just a thought but if we read it in context maybe we can truly examine the point Yeshua is trying to make instead of adding our own interpretation.
What about the rest of it? Why are you avoiding answering my questions?

Upvote 0

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
So it is hard for me to accept that a Christian "keeps the Sabbath" when he does it in his very own personalized way and then judges me for not keeping the sabbath days despite the fact that God's Word does not permit such judgment, plus all the while the person judging me isn't even keeping the Sabbath days himself except in his own way that is not in line with Law. I don't understand how one is "keeping the Sabbath day" if he is deciding that some work isn't really work and other work really is work...
Who is judging you? Sounds to me like you are judging all the Sabbath keepers. I would love nothing more than for you to find the true blessing in keeping Sabbath but I can't force you to . I can tell you it has truly been a blessing for me and that I find it to be commanded by our Creator, but thats about all I can do. I can point to it in scripture for you. If you choose not to walk in that way now, maybe later, if not then I guess when you meet God someday and you and Him can have that conversation. I am just a servant not a judge. I don't really want that responsibility :)
Shalom ttyl

Upvote 0

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
What about the rest of it? Why are you avoiding answering my questions?
What question? I did answer it I said I belive your interpretation of fullfilled is in error. Now please answer mine, what about those who do and teach the commandments being great in the kingdom and the others being least? Please explain.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Let's say you want to be a christian and cover your whole body with tattoos, will that be OK for a christian to do this? Acts 15 don't mention that does it? but the law does say not to get tattoos, Leviticus 19:28 so can a christian is allow to get a tattoo? answer no because the Word of God say no
Hi; the previous verse in Leviticus seems to say about not trimming one's beard. Do preachers shave? if they do, they are probably tacitly admitting that they are not Old Testament Jews in the land under the law, but New Testament believers for whom the Gospel rather than the Old Testament law is the rule of the believer's life; and if young folk - for example - decide with God fearing motives to have John 3.16 inked on their wrists as a witness means, then this does not mean that other Christians are necessarily called upon to "agree" with them, but rather that it's a personal rather than a collective church matter.
Exactly what individual Christians do or don't do on a Sunday is also a personal responsibility.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Who is judging you?
You said in post 127 to me: "If you choose not to keep Gods commandments that is between you and God." You made the judgment that because I don't "keep the Sabbath" that I am choosing "not to keep God's commandments". So, you are judging me as breaking God's commandments.

Sounds to me like you are judging all the Sabbath keepers.
I simply recounted my experience with Sabbatarian Christians both in my life and here in this thread to point out that the experience is consistent.

I would love nothing more than for you to find the true blessing in keeping Sabbath but I can't force you to . I can tell you it has truly been a blessing for me and that I find it to be commanded by our Creator, but thats about all I can do. I can point to it in scripture for you. If you choose not to walk in that way now, maybe later, if not then I guess when you meet God someday and you and Him can have that conversation. I am just a servant not a judge. I don't really want that responsibility :)
Shalom ttyl
Well, I would love nothing more than for you to be able to tell me what it means to "keep the Sabbath" and to back it up with Scripture. So far you have only told me that you do what you feel is necessary to make the Sabbath a day to worship and rest; you have not defined what rest is or what work (which you refrain from) is. From what you've explained to me so far, you claim to "keep the Sabbath" and you have your own personal interpretation of what the means and you stick to your own custom version of the Sabbath as long as it can loosely fit what Scripture says. You also tell me that you do it to keep God's commandments but then you tell me you don't keep God's commandments about sacrifices and you still have not told me whether or not you keep Kosher so I don't know if you maintain God's commandments pertaining to diet.

So feel free to tell me what you like, but it sounds like all you can tell me is "it's a blessing" and other vagueries as opposed to anything with substance rooted in scripture. That doesn't really help me, I'm sorry.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What question?
These questions in post 311:
"So you're saying that I am wrong in saying Christ fulfilled the law? You believe that Christ did not fulfill the law? Really?"

So, do you believe I'm wrong and that Christ did not fulfill the law?

I did answer it I said I belive your interpretation of fullfilled is in error.
And I responded to this, in post 311

Now please answer mine, what about those who do and teach the commandments being great in the kingdom and the others being least? Please explain.
What about it? I don't disagree with that. Not sure what you're looking for me to explain. When you say "those who do and teach the commandments" are you referring to all the Old Testament commandments with no regard for the New Testament? It seems to me that you're unaware of the context of the Law and God's commandments in relation to the New Testament (New Covenant).

Matthew 22: 37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Upvote 0

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
You said in post 127 to me: "If you choose not to keep Gods commandments that is between you and God." You made the judgment that because I don't "keep the Sabbath" that I am choosing "not to keep God's commandments". So, you are judging me as breaking God's commandments.

I simply recounted my experience with Sabbatarian Christians both in my life and here in this thread to point out that the experience is consistent.

Well, I would love nothing more than for you to be able to tell me what it means to "keep the Sabbath" and to back it up with Scripture. So far you have only told me that you do what you feel is necessary to make the Sabbath a day to worship and rest; you have not defined what rest is or what work (which you refrain from) is. From what you've explained to me so far, you claim to "keep the Sabbath" and you have your own personal interpretation of what the means and you stick to your own custom version of the Sabbath as long as it can loosely fit what Scripture says. You also tell me that you do it to keep God's commandments but then you tell me you don't keep God's commandments about sacrifices and you still have not told me whether or not you keep Kosher so I don't know if you maintain God's commandments pertaining to diet.

So feel free to tell me what you like, but it sounds like all you can tell me is "it's a blessing" and other vagueries as opposed to anything with substance rooted in scripture. That doesn't really help me, I'm sorry.

8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day isthe Sabbath of the Lord your God. In ityou shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who iswithin your gates. 11 For in six days theLord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore theLord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
You shall keep the Sabbath, therefore, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does anywork on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people.
Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, a holy convocation. You shall do no work on it; it is the Sabbath of the Lord in all your dwelling.

Isaiah 56 Thus says the Lord:

“Keep justice, and do righteousness,
For My salvation is about to come,
And My righteousness to be revealed.
2 Blessed is the man who does this,
And the son of man who lays hold on it;
Who keeps from defiling the Sabbath,
And keeps his hand from doing any evil.”

3 Do not let the son of the foreigner
Who has joined himself to theLord
Speak, saying,
“The Lord has utterly separated me from His people”;
Nor let the eunuch say,
“Here I am, a dry tree.”
4 For thus says the Lord:
“To the eunuchs who keep My Sabbaths,
And choose what pleases Me,
And hold fast My covenant,
5 Even to them I will give in My house
And within My walls a place and a name
Better than that of sons and daughters;
I will give them an everlasting name
That shall not be cut off.

6 “Also the sons of the foreigner
Who join themselves to the Lord, to serve Him,
And to love the name of the Lord, to be His servants—
Everyone who keeps from defiling the Sabbath,
And holds fast My covenant—
7 Even them I will bring to My holy mountain,
And make them joyful in My house of prayer.
Their burnt offerings and their sacrifices
Will be accepted on My altar;
For My house shall be called a house of prayer for all nations.”
8 The Lord God, who gathers the outcasts of Israel, says,
“Yet I will gather to him
Others besides those who are gathered to him.”

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day isthe Sabbath of the Lord your God. In ityou shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who iswithin your gates. 11 For in six days theLord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore theLord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
You shall keep the Sabbath, therefore, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does anywork on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people.
Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, a holy convocation. You shall do no work on it; it is the Sabbath of the Lord in all your dwelling.

Speak, saying,
Nor let the eunuch say,
“Here I am, a dry tree.”

As a background, Hebrews 7.12 says the law was changed.

Hebrews 7.19 says that what the New Testament believer now has is "better" than the law.

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Speak, saying,
Nor let the eunuch say,
“Here I am, a dry tree.”

And Paul told the Hebrews the rest of the deal with the Sabbath:
Hebrews 11:1-4
1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.

2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief: 7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.

9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Upvote 0

Jim Langston

Non denominational fundamentalist
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2005
Bellingham, WA
✟79,514.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Your response is an overly simplistic answer that, while on its own merits sounds true, is actually incorrect within context.

If I take that at face value, then it would reason to follow that you also sacrifice animals according to the specifics that God commanded. Do you do that? Do you offer burnt offerings of a lamb, a ewe, and a ram once a year? Do you observe all the dietary laws? It sounds like you say you do, but to be honest I don't know anyone these days who sacrifices animals. You really do?

If you believe in exercise and go to the gym it is because you believe that by works you will gain something. That is not a good analogy for God's Grace and Mercy; in fact, it's the opposite, it's an analogy for God's Law and His Justice.

Here's a better analogy. Do you believe that a husband must buy his wife gifts in order to earn her love? If you believe this, then the kind of "love" you believe in is a phony, purchased, earned love. If you believe in true, merciful, unconditional love then you would believe that a husband does NOT NEED to buy his wife gifts to have her love. If she truly loves him, he could never buy her a gift ever in their lifetime together and she would love him just the same. Of course, if he truly loves her, his actions would probably be that he would buy her gifts, but would he NEED to? Absolutely not. And if he didn't it wouldn't have bearing on their love for each other.

To take that analogy further, what if a woman truly loved her husband but he came to her with a gift and after giving it to her he said, "I hope you love my gift enough that you will continue to love me!"??? I think the wife would be insulted that the husband bought her a gift thinking that it somehow enhances her love for him.

Likewise with observing the Sabbath. I think it's an insult to Christ to say, "Lord, I know you have redeemed me from sin once and for all and that you have provided us an eternal rest from labor under the Law, but I'm STILL gonna observe a Sabbath day, aside from you being my rest, and use that day to rest from the law which you have already provided me rest from, because I will feel better or I will think it pleases you for me to duplicate what you have done for me (and even better than I could do on my own)."

How is observing the Sabbath day glorifying to God? It is insulting. It is telling the Lord that His rest that He provides us is not enough and that we need to go back to the old stop-gap He provided before we received His Perfect Gift.

It's true our faith will bear itself out in our works, but remember that that's the correct order. Faith --> Works. Works do nothing for us. Works are for us at best a sign to ourselves and others that our faith is real. Works do not increase God's Glory. We cannot add to Him, He is perfect. Works are simply our expression of our faith. We cannot receive salvation by works because under works we are already condemned, no matter how many good works we do now that we are saved. Our salvation comes from our faith in God's Grace.

So to sum up, I DO "observe the Sabbath", but I do so in the correct way that God's Word teaches us, which is that Christ is our Sabbath, i.e. that the Sabbath is FULFILLED in Christ's life and work. I observe that the Sabbath was once a day, back in the times of Law-based salvation (which included animal sacrifice, burnt offerings, rituals, temple worship, priests, etc.) and now Christ has fulfilled everything that the Law once held over us. Christ is now our salvation and we are free from animal sacrifice, burnt offerings, rituals, temple worship, a priesthood (WE have priesthood ourselves), and the Sabbath DAY.

People who are observing the Sabbath are inconsistent if they are not also following God's commandments about atonement through sacrifice and temple worship and dietary laws - and if they're doing those things, they are following Judaism, not Christianity, because they are denying Christ's saving work on the cross.

I am on my cellphone so it is not as easy to me respond in line.

My post was not so much a response to worshipping on the Sabbath being required at salvation but in response to the viewpoint you have given.

There was a man who asked how to enter heaven and Jesus responded to follow the commandments listing a number of them, with the sabbath being absent. The mosaic law (everything other than the 10 commandments) was not included either. But the (majority of) 10 commandments were. That is why I do not sacrifice animals on the alter, I am not Jewish, I am not under the (mosaic) law. And that is how I read the bible following what Jesus said to do here, follow the ten commandments but the mosaic law doesn't apply to me. Of course we know that there is more than that because even if I followed all of the ten commandments perfectly from now to the day I died it would not earn me salvation, only Jesus's washing away my sins will, which he does because I follow Him. I believe in him, do what He says to do as much as I am able and ask for forgiveness when I can't. But if I do not try then 1. I don't believe in Jesus and 2. I'm not repentant, both which are required for Jesus to wash away my sins.

If it is your claim that absolutely no act I do has anything to do with my salvation them how would I ever be saved in the first place? I need to accept Jesus as my savior, which is an act. I need to repent, which is an act. An act is works. Even though I am required to follow Jesus's teachings, which are works, they do not save me, because I'm saved by faith, faith in Jesus enough to follow his commandments and do what he said I must do to be saved. Which I can never do good enough to please God without Jesus' grace. It is not my works that save me, it is the grace of God I get for doing what He tells me to do.

I go to the doctor and the doctor does an operation that saves my life. Who saved my life, me by going to the doctor or the doctor for operating? All the credit goes to the doctor. I just did what I had to do to allow him to save my life.

Jesus says to follow the commandments, do you? If you do not then the bible says do not be deceived, sinners will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Upvote 0