Oct 23, 2004
Utah, USA
✟32,616.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
fernsbeautyrose said:
i worry sometimes that my 7yr old will not know the difference,i talk to her but any advice would help
Teach and live the principles of the gospel, and things will fall into place... as to the title -question, they should read harry potter if they like fantasy and magic.

Upvote 0

LILIVIWA

Aug 23, 2005
Fiji
✟1,025.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I think that is dangerous for a kid, because if he/she likes the magic she might want to dabble abit because learning spells and getting involve in witchcraft is there at your figertips (internet).

I would suggest that you let your child read but warn him/her of the danger of getting into witchcraft!

Upvote 0

diya

Aug 30, 2005
sydney
✟7,988.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
"Potter is just fiction"...and that is a fact. I read all HP books..and it hasn't changed my life at all. It is just another story..that's all. JKR is a gifted writer and that is what embraces the reader..If Potter is trying to defeat evil forces thro' magic..Let's do it thro' Christ!..If Potter is Bad, Then what About The DaVinci code?

Upvote 0

Nebmaatisus

Aug 30, 2005
✟7,810.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I find Harry Potter actually more Christian than most of today´s children´s books. At least the values are more Christian than average. I have no objection to my daughter´s reading Harry Potter, but she is not allowed to read W.I.T.C.H., which har too much of occult to my taste.

Upvote 0

LILIVIWA

Aug 23, 2005
Fiji
✟1,025.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
diya said:
"Potter is just fiction"...and that is a fact. I read all HP books..and it hasn't changed my life at all. It is just another story..that's all. JKR is a gifted writer and that is what embraces the reader..If Potter is trying to defeat evil forces thro' magic..Let's do it thro' Christ!..If Potter is Bad, Then what About The DaVinci code?

You are 19 years old... you know the difference between christianity and magic... 8 to 12 yrs old are so easily persuaded...don't get me wrong I love reading the books...its the kids that I worry about...

Upvote 0

Eruliel

Jun 26, 2005
In Christ
Visit site
✟1,065.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Trying to tell any 8 year old that waving a stick around and chanting latin will produce magic will get you as sceptical a look as you could wish. Now tell a 2 year old, or a 4 year old...you might get different results, but what is a 2 or 4 year old doing reading Harry Potter? Granted I know one 4 year old who is enamoured with Harry Potter, but he's also got a grandma who was involved with wicca when she was a teen and she knows what she's talking about and she'll let him growing up knowing that real magic has nothing to do with HP.
Slainte!
Eruliel

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SuperNova

Dec 20, 2004
Memphis, TN
Visit site
✟8,119.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think 7 is too young for harry potter. They definatly need to understand that real witchcraft is dangerous. This is pretend. Any real witch will tell you harry potter is not how it really is. They're all made up spells and incantations for fictional purposes. I think 11 is the right age. I think J.K. ment for a child to start reading them at 11 when harry is 11 in the first book and grow up with him. The subject matter seems to get more and more mature as the books progress.

Upvote 0

bex65

Sep 7, 2005
KY
✟15,181.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I love Harry Potter, and my 11 year old son loves to read the books, he knows its fantasy, and I want him to read well, so I dont see a problem. We did get thrown out of Church once because of Harry Potter though, I never went back lol and changed Churches quickly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Abbadon

Self Bias Resistor - goin' commando in a cassock!
Jan 26, 2005
Bible belt, unfortunatly
✟22,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Seb said:
lol, i'm sorry... will you forgive me?

No.

Just kidding, I see no reason to need to forgive you, personally.

SuperNova said:
I think 7 is too young for harry potter. They definatly need to understand that real witchcraft is dangerous. This is pretend. Any real witch will tell you harry potter is not how it really is. They're all made up spells and incantations for fictional purposes. I think 11 is the right age. I think J.K. ment for a child to start reading them at 11 when harry is 11 in the first book and grow up with him. The subject matter seems to get more and more mature as the books progress.

In Europe, the books were originally marketed to adults. It's when they started to sell them to us in America that they marketed them to kids.

Neinor said:
I was hoping this would stay dead

I'd say this thread is a vegetable, brain dead and on life support. "No, it's not dead"

Maybe you could ask a MOD to euthanize the thread.

Upvote 0

Witness Of His Love

Apr 14, 2005
✟16,905.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As long as new people continue to join CF, (and may it always be so!), people will start threads already covered in previous ones - can't be helped. Old threads are lost after five pages of threads. As far as the newer people are concerned, this is a new subject and is still a valid topic. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Bree1

Oct 5, 2005
Prince George, BC
✟15,284.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I am a Christian, and I love Harry Potter. I have read all six of the books several times and thoroughly enjoyed them, and I am eagerly awaiting book 7. As several other people in this thread have said, I have no problem with Christians reading Harry Potter as long as they understand that it is fantasy. If you don't want to read these books, that's fine, you have as much right to choose not to read Harry Potter as the rest of us have to choose to read it. By the way, I assure you that I have never once been tempted by these books to practice witchcraft. I understand that they are fantasy. Besides, I challenge those of you who say that Harry Potter is evil because it contains magic to name one fairy tale that doesn't include magic or witchcraft in some form or other. Why aren't these fairy tales considered evil, then? And isn't there enough real evil in the world without worrying about a fiction series that's intended to entertain?

Upvote 0