Shop WalMart. Help send an American job to China.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterPaul

Feb 17, 2004
✟18,494.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

PeterPaul

Feb 17, 2004
✟18,494.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Here is a petition by the Reform party. I am not endorsing the party but the petition is pretty interesting.

“United We Stand”

We the undersigned strongly oppose the relocating of American Jobs to Mexico or any other foreign countries. Since the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) went into affect in 1994, approximately 906,000 American manufacturing jobs have been lost. These are the jobs that over the past 100 years have made America the great nation it is today. NAFTA’s purpose was to create higher paying jobs, improve environmental standards, and increase exports. But, the opposite has happened, American Corporations have taken advantage of NAFTA by relocating their companies to poorer countries for the sake of slave labor, profits, and greed. These American Corporate Terrorists are shamelessly destroying American families, communities, and our great nation. American workers have taken concessions for companies that claim they are unable to stay competitive, and nevertheless these companies end up relocating, and deserting their faithful employees. These decent high paying jobs that once permitted a family to own a home, send the kids to college, are rapidly becoming non-existent, thus leaving Honest Hardworking men and woman without the means to support their families, and unfortunately their children. We Americans will no longer stand for this appalling and unjust treatment.

These companies have lost all respect for human life and their fellow Americans. Not only are they affecting our lives, but they are also taking advantage of the poorer economic countries like Mexico. These countries are where the reality of slavery can be seen. These unfortunate people receive no medical benefits; no pension plans, and they earn less than a $1.40 an hour. Because of these disrespectful incomes, they must live in dilapidated shacks, with no clean water, and can hardly afford to feed their children. We do not allow these inhumane acts in our country, so why are we continuing to allow this in a bordering county? Corporate America has totally lost its integrity, morals, and compassion for humanity. We have helped these companies to become what they are today. We demand that these scandalous and shameful actions be STOPPED.

We The Honest Hardworking Americans petition that all Federal, State, and Local officials put a stop to this outsourcing and relocating of American jobs. This includes removing any laws, acts, or agreements that allow the above. These agreements are being passed through congress and by presidents, with little, or no regards to the affect it has on Americans well being. This country was built for the people, by the people, and we the people should have the “right” to vote on issues that are going to ultimately affect our livelihoods and our families. The second law passed in the history of the Congress on July 4, 1789, was a tariff bill on 60 articles. This country was built with tariffs, "protectionism." We as Americans were given these rights to protect us from economic harm and destruction.

We as Americans will no longer continue to allow this dismantling of America. Our forefathers did not spend over the last 300 years trying to build and defend this country just to have the country destroyed by Greedy corporations in less than 10 years. Many countless courageous men have given their lives in defense of this Great Country. They fought for “The American Dream,” so that American citizens and families could all have freedom, and live a respectable American Way of Life.

We are petitioning against NAFTA and the American Corporations, who have disgracefully disregarded human lives, and their families. They have robbed us of our benefits, unions, and above all our jobs, but we are not giving them our “Pride.” Greedy corporations are corrupting our governments, and our Honest Hardworking American votes are clearly not being counted. Now We Stand United as “One Nation Under GOD,” and we adamantly request that our voices be respectfully heard.

Upvote 0

OnTheWay

Nov 21, 2005
✟6,746.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Number 81 said:
>.>
I was going to buy work cloaths there tonight for my this charity work thing my Church is doing. Did you have to post this today? Now I feel all culpable. :(

Does this mean I can't shop there?

The simple fact of the matter is WalMart isn't doing anything any other corporation doesn't do. For some reason I doubt my Reeboks (made in China) were made by someone making 10 bucks an hour in an air conditioned factory. The staff of Target is made up of part time employees earning minimum wage just like the staff of WalMart. It's amazing how the historical realities of the retail industry get dumped when talking about WalMart. I don't like WalMart and I don't shop there. However, I'm not going to pretend that WalMart is the "bad guy" when they don't do anything everyone else isn't doing. It's a matter of responsiblity, it is not the job of western corporations to make social changes in Mexico, or anywhere else. The people of those countries have to demand social changes themselves. Just like American workers in the early part of the industrial revolution had to demand social changes in regards to labor.

Upvote 0

faerieevaH

lucky wife
Dec 27, 2003
USA
✟28,950.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Katomi said:
I love walmart

I love Sony

I buy sony AT walmart

How about we all make up our own little minds on what we buy and where we buy it, without feeilng the judgemental wrath of others. What a concept.

~ ~

It's not judgemental wrath to inform you of facts. Each of us needs to determine for himself what you think is worth to act upon. For example: I don't think the fact that Sony brings out the Da Vinci code is bad enough for me to boycott Sony. Walmart is another issue, and I will most definitely try to shop as little as possible at Walmart. It is a personal decision that is mine and yours to make. But it is also the right of people to try and influence that decision by giving you more information. IN the end, the decision remains yours.
You have to be aware that whenever you buy something, you support someone, helping him/ her to an income or a profit. There are some causes I simply do not wish to support. That's when I exercise my right as a consumer not to buy there.

Reactions: SallyNow
Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The fact is most all retailers get their inventory from overseas. The one's who don't, can you name even one?, have to price their products much higher than the competition.

PeterPaul why do you insist on reincarnating this asinine thread? Do you really think we'll all hop into a time machine and undo the mass outsourcing which is already done? Demonizing Wal*Mart will not bring jobs back to America. Shopping at Target or K-Mart won't either. All a mass boycot will do is shift retail jobs from Wal*Mart to its competitors while driving up prices. What do you hope to gain from that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ctay

What a wonderful day the Lord has made
Jul 9, 2005
Alabama
Visit site
✟365,066.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Walmart puts a lot of its competitors out of business. Small towns where they run everyone out and there's only a Walmart to shop at and when that happens, Walmart jacks their prices up. There is a small town near me that has only a Walmart. Their prices are higher than other Walmarts in towns closeby where Walmart has competition.

Upvote 0

PeterPaul

Feb 17, 2004
✟18,494.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Autumnleaf said:
The fact is most all retailers get their inventory from overseas. The one's who don't, can you name even one?, have to price their products much higher than the competition.

PeterPaul why do you insist on reincarnating this asinine thread? Do you really think we'll all hop into a time machine and undo the mass outsourcing which is already done? Demonizing Wal*Mart will not bring jobs back to America. Shopping at Target or K-Mart won't either. All a mass boycot will do is shift retail jobs from Wal*Mart to its competitors while driving up prices. What do you hope to gain from that?

Frankly, I appreciate your Christianity with the term 'asinine' which makes you wonder why you would bother to post in an 'asinine' thread.

Secondly, this thread has a set of links for people who are open minded to attempt to learn about a company which happens to matter in America's economy. What one decides to do with information is up to them.

Thirdly, what I hope to gain is simply this. That we as employees and consumers know who we are financing and choose to either continue to do so or not to. Personally, I driving up prices is better than endless consumption which has not edified us as people and neither does justice to the slave labour overseas (which as Catholics we should be concerned about) or to the workingman here in the States who can't even afford to live on Walmart salaries (and which affects everyone, not just Walmart employees).

Also because *I* happen to think these companies are abusing the American public, which is uninformed (and you wish to stop people from being informed) about the companies which often receive support from their tax dollars. And I certainly think Americans have a right to this, don't you?

If you want to give up and use the old 'everyone is doing' it strategy go right on ahead. If you think it is peachy what Walmart does, that's your perogative. But it is also my choice not to go along and bury my head in the sand.

Upvote 0

PeterPaul

Feb 17, 2004
✟18,494.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Katomi said:
I love walmart

I love Sony

I buy sony AT walmart

How about we all make up our own little minds on what we buy and where we buy it, without feeilng the judgemental wrath of others. What a concept.

~ ~

So I am imposing my beliefs on you by debating this? But I guess your in-between the lines 'shut up' isn't on me? ^_^

Boy everyone sure is touchy about simple information...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PeterPaul

Feb 17, 2004
✟18,494.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Lel said:
If we want jobs to stay in America, we need to abolish the minimum wage and work for $2 an hour.

I hope you are kidding. So the problem is basically with the State and its minimum wage? Its the not corporation's fault for exploiting other countries and laying off the US workforce?

And the reason for this is to stay 'competitive' which is bull because companies jumped on the bandwagon not to compete but to save on labour.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.