Los Angeles Area
✟845,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
From Scientific American. Probably behind a paywall for most, but an interesting read, I thought. This may look a bit disjointed as I try to focus on a few interesting tidbits.

We prefer information from people we trust, our in-group. We pay attention to and are more likely to share information about risks... We search for and remember things that fit well with what we already know and understand. These biases are products of our evolutionary past, and for tens of thousands of years, they served us well. People who behaved in accordance with them—for example, by staying away from the overgrown pond bank where someone said there was a viper—were more likely to survive than those who did not.

Modern technologies are amplifying these biases in harmful ways, however. Search engines direct [a person] to sites that inflame his suspicions, and social media connects him with like-minded people, feeding his fears. Making matters worse, bots—automated social media accounts that impersonate humans—enable misguided or malevolent actors to take advantage of his vulnerabilities.

saw1220Menc31_d.png

Making matters worse, search engines and social media platforms provide personalized recommendations based on the vast amounts of data they have about users' past preferences. They prioritize information in our feeds that we are most likely to agree with—no matter how fringe—and shield us from information that might change our minds. This makes us easy targets for polarization.

Even our ability to detect online manipulation is affected by our political bias, though not symmetrically: Republican users are more likely to mistake bots promoting conservative ideas for humans, whereas Democrats are more likely to mistake conservative human users for bots.

saw1220Menc33_d.png

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,122,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Modern technologies are amplifying these biases in harmful ways,
The OP reminds me of the docudrama Social Dilemma which is currently on NetFlix.

It explores the rise of social media and the damage it has caused to society, focusing on its exploitation of its users for financial gain through surveillance capitalism and data mining, how its design is meant to nurture an addiction, its use in politics, its effect on mental health (including the mental health of adolescents and rising teen suicide rates), and its role in spreading conspiracy theories such as Pizzagate and aiding groups such as flat-earthers.
The Social Dilemma - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟183,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Im not surprised. It's not just political information overload but just everything-all-at-once. Email, FB, IG, Pinterest, CNN, National Review, and whatever other news / social sites that bombard us. I'm centrist and even I can't handle the news at times let alone seeing my FB feed filled with Occupy Democrats on one side and Newsmax on the other from different friends.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟183,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The OP reminds me of the docudrama Social Dilemma which is currently on NetFlix.

It explores the rise of social media and the damage it has caused to society, focusing on its exploitation of its users for financial gain through surveillance capitalism and data mining, how its design is meant to nurture an addiction, its use in politics, its effect on mental health (including the mental health of adolescents and rising teen suicide rates), and its role in spreading conspiracy theories such as Pizzagate and aiding groups such as flat-earthers.
The Social Dilemma - Wikipedia

Have you seen it? It's on my to watch list, if I ever get the mental strength to do more than watch dumb comedies :)

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,122,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Have you seen it? It's on my to watch list, if I ever get the mental strength to do more than watch dumb comedies :)
Yes, my son, who is a father, told me about it. I learned quite a bit and would advise watching it. You're right it does take determination to get through it.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,278,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
That's one of the reasons why the award-winning Israeli historian, Yuval Noah Harari, does not own a smartphone and practices meditation. Corporations in many cases can easily know more about what drives and motivates you, than you do. And their intentions are not all that benign, since they basically want to make money off you, regardless of the social cost.

Upvote 0

OddityCrisis

Oct 28, 2020
USA
✟1,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Engaged
If your primary source of news comes from social media platforms that have been shown time and again to be manipulative and secretive in their operations, then you will always be prey to propaganda deceit.

The best method I've found is to get the perspective of all the various factions in whatever given topic you're delving into, and weigh their arguments against eachother and reality.

With trial & error and time, those with credibility begin to stand out amongst the rest.

Reactions: Jamsie
Upvote 0