✟19,215.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
AU-Greens
I hate the Moor;
And it is thought abroad, that 'twixt my sheets
He has done my office: I know not if 't be true;
But I, for mere suspicion in that kind, will do as if for surety.
^
I wrote about that for my essay. Iago mentions a lot of motives, such as the 'suspicion' that Othello has had an affair with his wife, or jealousy at having been passed over for a job promotion, or just plain racism, but it's obvious that he's really trying to justify to himself his hatred. I don't think any of the cited motives are true. I personally think Iago loves Othello, and maybe he's trying to deny it/can't gain happiness so tries to destroy the happiness of the object of his devotion. If you've seen the movie adaptation with Laurence Fishburne and Kenneth Branagh (<3), it becomes sort of obvious. The scene where they make an oath to each other, to kill Cassio and Desdemona, is so resonant with a homosexual theme that it's sort of ridiculous:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhx7LCBHwLc

By the way, did I mention I love Iago? He's my favourite villain ever.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
In the valley of the wind
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I appreciate Shakespeare. I took an English class that was entirely devoted to him. :) My favorites are Othello, A Midsummer's Night's Dream, As You Like It (I like stories that involve cross dressing :D) Taming of the Shrew, and Macbeth.

I wrote about that for my essay. Iago mentions a lot of motives, such as the 'suspicion' that Othello has had an affair with his wife, or jealousy at having been passed over for a job promotion, or just plain racism, but it's obvious that he's really trying to justify to himself his hatred. I don't think any of the cited motives are true. I personally think Iago loves Othello, and maybe he's trying to deny it/can't gain happiness so tries to destroy the happiness of the object of his devotion. If you've seen the movie adaptation with Laurence Fishburne and Kenneth Branagh (<3), it becomes sort of obvious. The scene where they make an oath to each other, to kill Cassio and Desdemona, is so resonant with a homosexual theme that it's sort of ridiculous:

Yes, I used to have this discussion with Shakespeare enthusiasts. As to whether Iago was simply jealous of Othello. I also brought up the idea of the possibility of it being racism. I mean, it's like "this Moor guy got the job and I didn't?" Type of thing.

But the idea of him being in love with Othello, now that has never crossed my mind. Interesting. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dharma Wheel

Wandering Hermit
May 21, 2009
England
✟16,267.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I love the majority of Shakespeare's plays. My favourites are 'The Tragedy of Macbeth', 'Hamlet Prince of Denmark', 'The Tempest', 'Romeo and Juliet', 'Trolius and Cressida', 'King Lear' and 'Othello'.

I am also fond of his contemporary, Marlowe.

Upvote 0

Speculative

Senior Veteran
May 29, 2007
Seattle
✟19,750.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I love Shakespeare as well. I do agree that it is much better to see the plays than to merely read them (they are scripts, after all). I have his complete works as well, and you've inspired me to dig it out.

I've seen Julius Caesar, Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet performed live. Hamlet is definitely my favorite, although admittedly, I haven't read them all.

Upvote 0

liesje

Singing in the rain
Aug 30, 2008
✟17,066.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I love Shakespeare as well. I do agree that it is much better to see the plays than to merely read them (they are scripts, after all). I have his complete works as well, and you've inspired me to dig it out.

I've seen Julius Caesar, Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet performed live. Hamlet is definitely my favorite, although admittedly, I haven't read them all.

Oh wow I'd love to see them performed live! I'll have to try..

I haven't read them all either, but I'm working on it. I've just started Two Gentlemen of Verona.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wrpEM

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
✟7,623.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One good ways to get a feel for Shakespeare (and to decide what you might like to read) is to get a list of quotes from different plays (a good list is in Bartlett's, which you can look through at any library or it might be online). For some people who have not read a lot of Shakespeare, sometimes the 'best' prose gets lost in the attempt to get used to the style and cadence. The beauty of his writing (and I don't think it matters at all if all the plays weren't by one person) becomes more evident as you get used to it. Also, find a copy of the play your are reading with good footnotes. Like many writers of yesteryear, their stories are filled with references to other writings, especially the Bible -- but they are not always obvious.

Upvote 0