liesje

Singing in the rain
Aug 30, 2008
✟17,066.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Another devotee here. I've a complete collection of his works, though admittedly, I've only gotten through half as of yet.

Nice:thumbsup:Half is more than I've got through, but I plan to get there. I have a book with all the Tradgedies and a book with all the Comedies by my bed most of the time, its just that I have to remember to pick them up:)

Upvote 0

Tinkerbell33

Feb 24, 2007
✟34,871.00
Marital Status
Private
Yes, I absolutely love Shakespeare. I haven't read that many either, but my favourites are King Lear, Macbeth and The Merchant of Venice.

Ah, okay. :)

Have you read Much Ado About Nothing? I highly recommend it. :thumbsup:

On another note, in your profile picture there are two horses, are they yours?

Upvote 0

Kilrathi827

World Traveler, English Teacher
Feb 6, 2009
Dallas, Texas
✟7,755.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yup, love the Bard's works, even if some folks don't think he wrote the all ;). My personal favorites are Hamlet (yeah, i know cliched), The Tempest, and A Midsummer Night's Dream. Never really got into the histories. They just don't capture my interest to be honest.

Upvote 0

liesje

Singing in the rain
Aug 30, 2008
✟17,066.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ah, okay. :)

Have you read Much Ado About Nothing? I highly recommend it. :thumbsup:

On another note, in your profile picture there are two horses, are they yours?

I haven't read Much Ado yet, but I will.

And no, the horses aren't mine (I wish they were:D) They belong to my mum's cousin - we rode the on holiday. I just really like the picture:)

Upvote 0

liesje

Singing in the rain
Aug 30, 2008
✟17,066.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yup, love the Bard's works, even if some folks don't think he wrote the all ;). My personal favorites are Hamlet (yeah, i know cliched), The Tempest, and A Midsummer Night's Dream. Never really got into the histories. They just don't capture my interest to be honest.

Hamlet is good. I haven't actually read any of the histories, but I've seen Henry V on DVD (Kenneth Branaugh's version) and it was very good. I'd also like to read Richard III, because he is a person who interests me. But I guess if it's not something you're interested in it won't capture you, which is fine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

liesje

Singing in the rain
Aug 30, 2008
✟17,066.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I heard that Shakespeare didn't write his own work-----somebody else did----my youngest niece told me that she read this in a book on her school reading list----he's a hack---if what she said is true---

Some people have said that, but no one really knows. I like to think that he did write them, but even if he didn't they are still amazing:)

Upvote 0

Nooj

Senior Veteran
Jan 9, 2005
Sydney
✟19,215.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
AU-Greens
I adore Shakespeare. I haven't read Hamlet or Macbeth, which are his best works or so they keep telling me. But I've read Othello, King Lear, Merchant of Venice, Romeo and Juliet, The Tempest, Julius Caesar.

The first three are like <3, some of the best stuff I've ever read.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

liesje

Singing in the rain
Aug 30, 2008
✟17,066.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I adore Shakespeare. I haven't read Hamlet or Macbeth, which are his best works or so they keep telling me. But I've read Othello, King Lear, Merchant of Venice, Romeo and Juliet, The Tempest, Julius Caesar.

The first three are like <3, some of the best stuff I've ever read.

I love King Lear, it's probably my favourite. The Merchant of Venice is great as well.

Upvote 0

Captivated

Mar 29, 2006
✟9,823.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Like Shakespeare? If I wasn't a Christian I could be tempted to worship him :bow: !!! Seriously, he's the single most important writer in English IMO. And the English language wouldn't be what it is without him.

I find the idea that he didn't write the plays unconvincing from an evidence point of view. Conspiracy theory stuff.

I agree that his plays were written to be performed and watched rather than read but if someone enjoys reading them that's good! I love King Lear, The Taming of the Shrew, Macbeth, Merchant of Venice, All's Well that Ends Well, Romeo and Juliet, Othello and Hamlet. I saw Hamlet at the RSC last summer with David Tennant in the title role and Patrick Stewart as Claudius; fab!

Liesje, if you're interested in Richard III as a person then please bear in mind that Shakespeare was writing during the reign of a Tudor monarch. His portrayal of Richard would have been skewed to fit the Tudor viewpoint. It's Tudor propoganda! One of the most interesting books I've read on Richard III is Josephine Tey's The Daughter of Time, but remember that it is fiction. Convincing but fiction nonetheless.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2009
Visit site
✟7,672.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
i LOVE shakespeare! my favorite play is "hamlet", followed very closely by "the taming of the shrew", "the merchant of venice", and "macbeth".

and, one of my favorite quotes of all time comes from "hamlet". it speaks so true..."we are oft to blame in this, -/tis too much proved-/that with devotion's visage and pious action we do sugar o'er/the devil himself" that was polonius in act 3, scene 1, if anyone was interested in that...

Upvote 0

liesje

Singing in the rain
Aug 30, 2008
✟17,066.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Like Shakespeare? If I wasn't a Christian I could be tempted to worship him :bow: !!! Seriously, he's the single most important writer in English IMO. And the English language wouldn't be what it is without him.

I find the idea that he didn't write the plays unconvincing from an evidence point of view. Conspiracy theory stuff.

I'm inclined to agree with you there.

I agree that his plays were written to be performed and watched rather than read but if someone enjoys reading them that's good! I love King Lear, The Taming of the Shrew, Macbeth, Merchant of Venice, All's Well that Ends Well, Romeo and Juliet, Othello and Hamlet. I saw Hamlet at the RSC last summer with David Tennant in the title role and Patrick Stewart as Claudius; fab!

I just broke one of the ten commandments...man I wish I was in England so I could go and see RSC! David Tennant and Patrick Stewart...WOW!

Liesje, if you're interested in Richard III as a person then please bear in mind that Shakespeare was writing during the reign of a Tudor monarch. His portrayal of Richard would have been skewed to fit the Tudor viewpoint. It's Tudor propoganda! One of the most interesting books I've read on Richard III is Josephine Tey's The Daughter of Time, but remember that it is fiction. Convincing but fiction nonetheless.

I've read The Daughter of Time a month ago. I really enjoyed it, and it is very convincing. I haven't read anything much about Richard III apart from that, but I plan to. I like to think he was victimised by Shakespeare, but as you say, TDOT is fiction nonetheless.

Upvote 0

liesje

Singing in the rain
Aug 30, 2008
✟17,066.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
i LOVE shakespeare! my favorite play is "hamlet", followed very closely by "the taming of the shrew", "the merchant of venice", and "macbeth".

and, one of my favorite quotes of all time comes from "hamlet". it speaks so true..."we are oft to blame in this, -/tis too much proved-/that with devotion's visage and pious action we do sugar o'er/the devil himself" that was polonius in act 3, scene 1, if anyone was interested in that...

That's a very interesting quote! I didn't pick it up when I read Hamlet, or when I watched it on DVD (Sir Laurence Olivier), but that's a cool quote.

And welcome to CF:wave:

Upvote 0