Wisconsin
✟25,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Often violence is lumped in with sex as objectionable media.

Do you find violence objectionable? If so, why?

I do not find most violence bad. Just the gore in horror movie bugs me.

I'm curious what reasons people might have for finding violence objectionable, if any.

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I'm curious what reasons people might have for finding violence objectionable, if any.

Hello my son..

In light of the topic of your threads..

Is there something you need to share with brother pinetree?:priest:

Upvote 0
C

Child-of-Zion

I think violence for the sake of violence is wrong, like in horror flicks which I would never watch. For me I can accept a certain level in war movies as long as the violence serves a purpose that isn't just for its own sake.

But movie content like violence is mostly on a person level when it comes to convictions. I have a friend who used to be a cutter and watched extremely violent and twisted things before he was saved. After getting saved his movie convictions mean absolutely no blood and gore because it reminds him too much of his past. For me, I can accept a certain level because I don't come from his background.

Upvote 0
C

Cassidy

I don't like violence against women and children and anything graphic that way. I remember watching 'Beloved'...the one were Oprah Winfrey was in ...and a scene in that one gave me a panic attack - it was awful!

War violence and things is fine unless it takes up the whole movie and then I think it's boring ;)

I don't like useless violence just for the sake of it either.

Upvote 0

Alpine

Resident Sojourner
Sep 19, 2005
Wisconsin
✟25,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello my son..

In light of the topic of your threads..

Is there something you need to share with brother pinetree?:priest:

Yeah, based on my recent topics I'm drunk, full of sex and violence and I need you to share a grace nugget with me? ^_^

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

I guess it depends on the type of violence as it's in the eye of the beholder. Years ago some people found the Three Stooges as teaching our kids violence while others just found it a reason to laugh, like me, and I was a kid watching them.

The movie The Passion was a close to true depiction of the crucifixion of Christ yet many people objected to it's extreme violent nature, including many christians.

So if you want to talk about violence in media, as you can see, it is in the eye of the beholder.

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
you are beyond hope...:D

just kidding..:)

Hey, come over here and say that, I'll show you some...loving kindness. Come on, in a thread about violence, did you think I'd try and promote it? ;)

Reactions: pinetree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married

i think too much exposure to any one thing can dull the senses. Familiarity breeds contempt and all that.

Steve

Reactions: pinetree
Upvote 0

Alpine

Resident Sojourner
Sep 19, 2005
Wisconsin
✟25,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The sex and violence we see daily on TV and in almost every film is GRATUITOUS.

I think the entertainment of the historical world, Gladiators killing each other before ten of thousands of people and watching animals kill each other and people in a Colosseum was gratuitous. TV and film is make believe, and most of the violence on TV and film is fairly tame.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,440.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Genesis 6:11
Now the earth was corrupt in God’s sight, and the earth was filled with violence.

A sign of the times. I dont think watching 'violence' on TV as entertainment is really edifying. God hates violence. God sent the flood in the days of Noah because the earth was filled with violence.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Floatingaxe

Apr 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I think the entertainment of the historical world, Gladiators killing each other before ten of thousands of people and watching animals kill each other and people in a Colosseum was gratuitous. TV and film is make believe, and most of the violence on TV and film is fairly tame.

As it is classified as ENTERTAINMENT and born out of evil imaginations, it is indeed gratuitous and harmful.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.