Earth
✟1,467,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think when it comes to Father Seraphim Rose, one should understand that Father Tom and Father Seraphim were on different sides of the divide between ROCOR and the OCA, and would have had differing approaches to certain issues. I don't know how much personal interaction between them, but I suppose he might know more about Father Seraphim based on things we are not privy to.
yeah, Fr Tom being Fr Schmemann’s son-in-law definitely put him against Fr Seraphim in those arguments. however, later in his life he became a huge supporter of Fr Seraphim (even being the main celebrant at the 20th anniversary of Fr Seraphim’s repose).

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,770.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
yeah, Fr Tom being Fr Schmemann’s son-in-law definitely put him against Fr Seraphim in those arguments. however, later in his life he became a huge supporter of Fr Seraphim (even being the main celebrant at the 20th anniversary of Fr Seraphim’s repose).
It is this divide that I have been struggling with, and have found myself nearly decisively on the side of Fr Seraphim. I see the things that these wonderful priests go wrong on in ways that not they nearly so much as their followers latch onto. It’s an OT observation, but an important one, that those that latch onto “love above all” tend to link that to worldly ideas of love, of a benevolent tolerance of everything, and even a complete dismissal of disciplines or rejections of passions for oneself, rather than the more genuinely Christian understanding of self-sacrifice. But that’s the “1%” where they lean wrong, as opposed to the 99% where they are totally right. Some fell further than others. Met Kallitos definitely went more wrong at the end. Fr Alexander Men’s ecumenism is his weakness, and I found disturbing things even with Fr A (Schmemann) and Met Anthony Bloom, amid the massive wisdom they all have. Fr Seraphim, by contrast, seems to go overboard on the idea that all aliens must necessarily be demons, though he has a good point there. Basically, everyone, however respected and admired, seems to go wrong on something.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It is this divide that I have been struggling with, and have found myself nearly decisively on the side of Fr Seraphim. I see the things that these wonderful priests go wrong on in ways that not they nearly so much as their followers latch onto. It’s an OT observation, but an important one, that those that latch onto “love above all” tend to link that to worldly ideas of love, of a benevolent tolerance of everything, and even a complete dismissal of disciplines or rejections of passions for oneself, rather than the more genuinely Christian understanding of self-sacrifice. But that’s the “1%” where they lean wrong, as opposed to the 99% where they are totally right. Some fell further than others. Met Kallitos definitely went more wrong at the end. Fr Alexander Men’s ecumenism is his weakness, and I found disturbing things even with Fr A (Schmemann) and Met Anthony Bloom, amid the massive wisdom they all have. Fr Seraphim, by contrast, seems to go overboard on the idea that all aliens must necessarily be demons, though he has a good point there. Basically, everyone, however respected and admired, seems to go wrong on something.
priests disagree with each other a lot. it’s not an uncommon thing through the centuries. but usually they both come to be held in high regard if they see themselves as open to correction by the Church, and the Church will sort it out.

Upvote 0

Saber Truth Tiger

Freethinker
Site Supporter
May 7, 2016
North Carolina
✟100,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
This was around the time New Atheism was really gaining traction and a reactionary movement against Westboro Baptists and Creation vs. Evolution in public schools, so this could be seen as treading that fine line of "don't lump us in with those crazy Protestants," but that's just speculation on my part. Nothing against Fr. Tom.
I remember the "New Atheism" was coined by Robert A. Morey, in 1986 when his book "The New Atheism and the Erosion of Freedom" was released. This was the first time I remember a theist using the term. Morey republished his book in 1994 and when the 21st century began other theists began referring to Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, and Daniel Dennet as the New Atheists. But the term was coined by Robert A. Morey in 1986.

Upvote 0

Euthymios

Dec 18, 2023
Mckinney
✟11,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Frankly, I love Fr Tom. I wish his voice was still a living voice. He goes off-base in a couple of places, in my opinion, but by and large, is a solid Orthodox voice. (I was disappointed in his final podcast, on remarriage in the Church, but that’s a topic that could go into the divorce thread I started a couple of months ago, if I get around to it.)

Some years ago, I listened to his podcast series on Darwin and Christianity. I started on episode 11, about death, and was immediately hooked. I listened through the last episode, #17, and started again from the beginning and listened all the way through. My object here is to periodically post responses as I listen again on points where I don’t simply agree (although there are plenty of things on which I do).

I just started again, with another ten years in the Church under my belt, with episode one.He says a lot of true things, and if it sounds like I disagree heavily with him, as someone who has come to firmly disbelieve in the narrative of human evolution (something distinct from observed changes) as compatible with the Faith (whereas he is more open and accepting of that narrative), it is on these few points, and not everything. He is right about the violence of Christians of the past, for example. It was never Christian to burn anyone at the stake. In fact, he emphasizes that the violence is physical, and not merely a metaphor for “strongly attack”. But then he turns around and attacks Fr Seraphim Rose for “violently” attacking that narrative, and saying that his followers (and by implication, Fr Seraphim himself) are guilty of using their intellect for everything but being humble before God. It was a bit shocking, and somewhat self-contradictory, that Fr Tom himself admits the issue is terribly complex, and even encourages people to watch Ben Stein’s “Expelled” (a great documentary which Stein undermines by putting in sensational footage of Nazis periodically into the film. I felt peeved, on two points - one was the use of the word “violence”, which he had just strongly condemned as a physical evil act, and then using it to characterize Fr Seraphim’s strong disagreement with the narrative of human evolution, and the second was on the dismissal of the admittedly complex opposition to the narrative. Fr Tom’s podcast struck me as somewhat self-contradictory, though I understand that he was trying to be open-minded and fair.

WHAT WOULD BE COMPLETELY UNINTERESTING:
A person posting his own opinions without considering either what I or Fr Tom have to say. Quoting Fr Seraphim in context on the topic is fair game, though.
Father Thomas Hopko was a modernist and wore a Roman Catholic collar (a symptom of modernism and ecumenism). If he accused Fr. Seraphim of lacking humility, I would respond by saying that he was guilty of an argument ad hominem fallacy, because the truth of a position is independent of the person holding it. Fr. Seraphim could have theoretically been the post prideful person in human history, but his position against evolution could have still been true. Fr. Seraphim was actually humble and simply obedient to Church teaching. Fr. Thomas was the prideful one, since he thought he knew more than the Church Fathers and our tradition, in addition to being disobedient to said tradition.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Father Thomas Hopko was a modernist and wore a Roman Catholic collar (a symptom of modernism and ecumenism).
St Tikhon of Moscow also wore a collar sometimes when he would dialogue with Anglicans.

Upvote 0

Euthymios

Dec 18, 2023
Mckinney
✟11,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
St Tikhon of Moscow also wore a collar sometimes when he would dialogue with Anglicans.
Can you cite a primary source or a photo proving this? Without this kind of documentation, the claim is hearsay. At any rate, two wrongs don't make a right. To argue otherwise would commit the Tu quoque fallacy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Can you cite a primary source or a photo proving this? Without this kind of documentation, the claim is hearsay. At any rate, two wrongs don't make a right (Tu quoque fallacy).
no, aside to say I went to St Tikhon’s and what he did to reach out to the Anglicans was discussed a lot. relatedly, there are plenty of pics of St John Maximovitch using a Western style crook when serving with the Western rite.

and my point was that claiming that Fr Hopko was a modernist because he wore a tab collar isn’t a good point. for this to be “two wrongs don’t make a right” you have to make the argument that it’s actually wrong first, not just assert that it is.

and I should add, I personally am not a fan of the tab collar, but that’s not the same as accusing the priest of modernism for having one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dewi Sant
Upvote 0

rusmeister

Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,770.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, priests do dress, when they dress as priests, according to a given tradition, and don’t merely wear whatever comes to mind. I would ask why any Orthodox priest would wear the tab collar, myself. It’s nowhere in our Tradition. It was a heterodox invention of the 19th century, the Catholics adopted it as well, and some Orthodox priests started wearing it in the 20th.

On the one hand, it can be seen as a universal identifier of one as a Christian minister. On the other hand, I think it not good for our priests to generally identify as the heterodox do, though I can see why it would be used in the military.

So while I wouldn’t go so far as to accuse Fr Tom of modernism on that basis, it still is legitimate to ask why any of our priests would choose to wear it.

I think Fr Tom was somewhat modernist, but that is only one of the small nits to pick.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dewi Sant

May 21, 2015
UK
✟62,841.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
the clerical collar is just an evolution of a starched white collar tucked under the cassock. I agree, the tabs are a bit daft, especially the little plastic ones. Take pride in one's laundry and do it properly.
I knew a protestant minister who would cut his own out of white plastic milk bottles (the type we have in the UK).

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So while I wouldn’t go so far as to accuse Fr Tom of modernism on that basis, it still is legitimate to ask why any of our priests would choose to wear it.
of course it’s a legit question. the issue isn’t in the questioning, it’s in the accusing him of something when if you google St John Maximovitch Western Rite, he is clearly shown holding a Western crook in the services.

Upvote 0

Euthymios

Dec 18, 2023
Mckinney
✟11,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
no, aside to say I went to St Tikhon’s and what he did to reach out to the Anglicans was discussed a lot. relatedly, there are plenty of pics of St John Maximovitch using a Western style crook when serving with the Western rite.

and my point was that claiming that Fr Hopko was a modernist because he wore a tab collar isn’t a good point. for this to be “two wrongs don’t make a right” you have to make the argument that it’s actually wrong first, not just assert that it is.

and I should add, I personally am not a fan of the tab collar, but that’s not the same as accusing the priest of modernism for having one.
Wearing Orthodox Church approved western style attire is not the same as wearing a Latin Roman Catholic dog collar. But I would need to see photographic proof before I accept your claim. The Latin collar is wrong because it contradicts Orthodox tradition, and is a symptom of modernism and ecumenism. Read "Orthodox Tradition and Modernism," by Cavarnos.

Upvote 0

Euthymios

Dec 18, 2023
Mckinney
✟11,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
of course it’s a legit question. the issue isn’t in the questioning, it’s in the accusing him of something when if you google St John Maximovitch Western Rite, he is clearly shown holding a Western crook in the services.
I'm not sure what you mean by a "crook." That's a cowboy hat, based on my investigation.

Upvote 0

Euthymios

Dec 18, 2023
Mckinney
✟11,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well, priests do dress, when they dress as priests, according to a given tradition, and don’t merely wear whatever comes to mind. I would ask why any Orthodox priest would wear the tab collar, myself. It’s nowhere in our Tradition. It was a heterodox invention of the 19th century, the Catholics adopted it as well, and some Orthodox priests started wearing it in the 20th.

On the one hand, it can be seen as a universal identifier of one as a Christian minister. On the other hand, I think it not good for our priests to generally identify as the heterodox do, though I can see why it would be used in the military.

I think Fr Tom was somewhat modernist, but that is only one of the small nits to pick.
The Roman Catholic collar is in fact a symptom of modernism, but many Orthodox believers today are desensitized to these innovations. The problem with these clergy is that they do not trust the Holy Spirit and the tradition of the Church, so they take matters into their own hands, and audaciously think that they can improve on God, which is prelest (spiritual delusion).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Wearing Orthodox Church approved western style attire is not the same as wearing a Latin Roman Catholic dog collar. But I would need to see photographic proof before I accept your claim. The Latin collar is wrong because it contradicts Orthodox tradition, and is a symptom of modernism and ecumenism. Read "Orthodox Tradition and Modernism," by Cavarnos.
you can google it, it’s one of the top pics. I don’t care if you accept my claim or not.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,770.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Roman Catholic collar is in fact a symptom of modernism, but many Orthodox believers today are desensitized to these innovations. The problem with these clergy is that they do not trust the Holy Spirit and the tradition of the Church, so they take matters into their own hands, and audaciously think that they can improve on God, which is prelest (spiritual delusion).
Your first sentence here seems reasonable, but I don’t think that what you described to be the problem is accurate. It certainly doesn’t describe how people like father Tom understood things. Where you may be right is on the issue of synthesis or attempt to synthesize knowledge, belief and practice with what we encounter in the world. for example, because the science of this world often reveals truths about our world, many do assume that evolution is true, because many of the priests of science, AKA “scientists“, tell them that it is. However, they certainly don’t think in terms such as that they can improve on God. They think they are accepting truth from different sources. Regarding things like these collars, and pews, they accept them because they are accepted throughout the west, without much thought about whether they are good or wise things to adopt in our own worship, practice, and expression of faith.

My own opinion, specifically on collars is that it is not generally a good thing for us to adopt, but in a context where a universal identifier is essential, such as priests serving as chaplains in the military (cough cough ;) ), then I can see why it is reasonable to accept the collar as such. Some adaptation is reasonable.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,352.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
At first I was a bit dubious about the scrupulousness of Euthymios, but I looked under his avatar and noticed he's 122 years old, so he may have some wisdom we haven't yet acquired.

Upvote 0