• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

seeking fellow SAD/winter blues sufferers

TCapp

Senior Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
✟18,136.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Others
Am I alone on this here? Or do other CF members suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder?

I live very far north (Yukon) and the winters just kill me every time. I get very sluggish, getting out of bed is as enjoyable as a root canal. I have no more zest or zip, I just want to hibernate. I do not feel sociable at all.... it's hard even to talk on the phone with my bestest best friends.

And then there is the brain fog. It is so hard to think clearly and concentrate. I feel so stupid and scatterbrained. And when it is worse with a cloudy day, I can feel depressed and nonfunctional.

I know there a lots of SAD sufferers in the world. Some folks are more seasonal than others, while some only have mild symptoms.

I'm tired of feeling like I'm alone and misunderstood. Are there others with this condition ... or know something is wrong but doesn't know why? Let's fellowship here. I know non-Christians cannot post in this part of the forums, but I would still love to hear from you, so please PM me.

P

perfection

The best thing you can do MOVE SOUTH. Honestly some people lives are the worst , they need light therapy and you might are already on it or need it. My teacher told me that people like you are better off living in middle earth(lol asif im talking LOTR) , or in very sunny area's. Really you can move, and you should move. It's so much better for you to be in countries with a lot of sunlight. I myself can't stand the rain against my window anymore either, so im really fond of moving southwards.

Upvote 0

Laurel Crowned

Veteran
Feb 11, 2004
Hawaii
✟10,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have bipolar disorder... but when I moved to my current location I began to experience elements of SAD. The place that I live is under a fog... and when I first moved here I was always depressed and more so in the winter and in the rainy season. When it is cold and rainy I refuse to leave the house... because I usually just can't move. When I lived in Hawaii, I obviously didn't have these problems. Hopefully, I can move back there soon. I agree with the previous person who suggested you move. If that is not feasible... consider seeing a doctor about getting one of those special lights for light therapy. I've heard they work wonders.

Upvote 0

Laurel Crowned

Veteran
Feb 11, 2004
Hawaii
✟10,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi TCAPP,

Good to hear that you are getting the light therapy. What else has your therapist advised you to do? I've been told that I need to get outside whenever it actually IS sunny... but honestly? I don't always want to.

How can you be most supported at this time? How can people who read your posts support/rally behind you?

Upvote 0

TCapp

Senior Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
✟18,136.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Others
Yeah, I can't get out either. It just takes too much effort to bundle three little kids into a dozen layers each to tramp around in the deep snow. And to boot, it's usually cloudy. :(

I think she suggested I strengthen my social net. I need more friends, more interaction with other people. That is also difficult during the winter. So I guess that's why I posted here... to look for others with understanding, and how they've coped. How they feel, and so on.

I suppose anyone who is involved in US customs could also be of benefit. I'm am American and my husband is Canadian. I want us all to move down to Arizona where it is warmer and sunnier. But we need to get all our ducks in a row. Like passports and visas or green cards and getting a place to live and a job and etc etc. Knowing how to get the ball rolling would be so neat.

Upvote 0

Laurel Crowned

Veteran
Feb 11, 2004
Hawaii
✟10,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hey TCAPP,

I'll be praying for all your ducks. :)

I feel your pain trying to get three little kids dressed and out... and to walk around in the SNOW??? You deserve a medal. If you want somebody to just chat with... please feel free to PM me anything that you don't want plastered in a public forum. My ear is open.

Upvote 0