Secular music - Revealing too much, or publicity stunt?

Lilly Owl

Since when is God's adversary a curse word here?
Dec 23, 2012
✟2,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think we have to perhaps consider the times and how the antithesis of decency seems to be the new standard, while morality is more often than not being assaulted as intolerable.
Also, as bands like Pearl Jam have said in the past, there's a sell out factor when some bands get into the industry. No longer is their vision and their art the property of the talent. Rather, the big contracts that pay huge money very often come at a price for the performers who find they have to obey masters who have taken the pulse of the demographic that particular brand is to engage for sales.

So, if rebellious anti-anything good, seems to have a large following in the younger demographic to whom management is trying to sell a particular artist(s), that's how the music of that talent will play out. Even if song writers have to be employed to deliver the message that that band/solo performer has to sell to.

The music business is not a virtuous vehicle of the soul.

Upvote 0

tobethebest

Veteran
Mar 5, 2008
✟16,083.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I really liked "Come All You Weary" or "Find Rest For Your Souls" which is what I like calling it, after listening to it and liking it as much as I did. It was comforting and the delay on the guitar gave it that edge it needed.

I play guitar as well. My performance has come down to mostly instrumental stuff in restaurants. The material is secular, yet the music is nothing more than chord patterns and melodies. My brother and I are on youtube. "Because" by "the Mellow D's" - YouTube.

I play the very light weight Guild guitar and Dave plays a really nice sounding acoustic bass. We enjoy playing out locally after all these years.

We entertained while in the Navy for a Shah of Ethiopia and some other dignitaries. We won a battle of the bands over ten years ago and we were sent to Prescott, Arizona to entertain on stage with Bo Derek. That was cool.

Presently we play at BBQ restaurants and most recently we will be at "Holy Hogs BBQ" in Tampa. I like melodies very much and so do the customers. They don't find musicians playing what we play anywhere around here, so I guess that makes us a bit unique.

Upvote 0