Seattle school implanting IUD's in girls as young as 6th grade without parental knowledge

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I would like to see confirmation on this story from an objective news source before delving too deeply into it. I don't won't to start discussing or debating something in depth until I have reason to believe that it's true.

Obviously, though, I oppose people conducting any sort of surgery for middle school students that is not necessary to protect the patient's life or health, without parental consent. Implanting an IUD in a 6th grader would seem to fall under that category. It's very different from handing a high school upperclassman (or woman) a condom or birth control pills, which there is more of a case for because its not a surgery with long term health consequences and the patient is older.

Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I would like to see confirmation on this story from an objective news source before delving too deeply into it. I don't won't to start discussing or debating something in depth until I have reason to believe that it's true.

Obviously, though, I oppose people conducting any sort of surgery for middle school students that is not necessary to protect the patient's life or health, without parental consent. Implanting an IUD in a 6th grader would seem to fall under that category. It's very different from handing a high school upperclassman (or woman) a condom or birth control pills, which there is more of a case for because its not a surgery with long term health consequences and the patient is older.

You do understand that schools are permitted to give students birth control pills without parental consent, but not aspirins?

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Yeah I'm not exactly holding my breath about this being true either, but as much as I can see opposition to it, frankly I wish it was legal AND the law of the land (the details would need ironed out of course). There is no sane reason for young girls old enough to conceive but hardly old enough to be parents NOT to get pregnant. That is not a "right" any girl should have.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You do understand that schools are permitted to give students birth control pills without parental consent, but not aspirins?

I always thought those rules against non-prescription pain killers unless dispensed by a nurse directly with signed parental consent were ridiculous for high school students. They should be able to take a couple of acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibprofin (Advil) without parental consent, and probably even without a nurse's supervision. When I was in high school, I just ignored those rules and was discrete about taking them when I needed to. What can I say? I'm a rebel. ;) Just not the Confederate anti-government kind. ;)

Asprin might be a special case because of the health problems that are associated with long-term use in young people. Those health reasons are part of why we switched over to nextgen OTC non-prescription pain killers and antiinflammatories, for the most part. But, in theory, I don't think teenagers should need parental permission to take non-prescription medicines such as ibprofin while in school.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
But Jesus turning to them said, “Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for me, but weep for yourselves and for your children. For behold, the days are coming when they will say, ‘Blessed are the barren, and the wombs that never bore, and the breasts that never gave suck!’ Then they will begin to say to the mountains, ‘Fall on us’; and to the hills, ‘Cover us.’" - Luke 23:28-30

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I always thought those rules against non-prescription pain killers unless dispensed by a nurse directly with signed parental consent were ridiculous for high school students. They could be able to take a couple of acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibprofin (Advil) without parental consent, and probably even without a nurse's supervision. When I was in high school, I just ignored those rules and was discrete about taking them when I needed to. What can I say? I'm a rebel. ;) Just not the Confederate anti-government kind. ;)

Asprin might be a special case because of the health problems that are associated with long-term use in young people. Those health reasons are part of why we switched over to nextgen OTC non-prescription pain killers and antiinflammatories, for the most part. But, in theory, I don't think teenagers should need parental permission to take non-prescription medicines such as ibprofin while in school.

One answer is for all parents to be given the opportunity to sign a consent form allowing the school nurse to dispense non-presciption drugs without further approval. Alternatively, the consent form could list certain drugs that are approved by the parents. It really would be straightforward for a nurse to check the file on a sick student sitting before them.

With regard to age, that is a matter of local law. You would consider high school students able to make their own decisions. That simply isn't the way school systems work, except in the case of condoms, birth control pills, and abortion counseling.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I always thought those rules against non-prescription pain killers unless dispensed by a nurse directly with signed parental consent were ridiculous for high school students. They could be able to take a couple of acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibprofin (Advil) without parental consent, and probably even without a nurse's supervision. When I was in high school, I just ignored those rules and was discrete about taking them when I needed to. What can I say? I'm a rebel. ;) Just not the Confederate anti-government kind. ;)

Kids have a tendency to overdo things--well, so do adults for that matter If a little is good, a lot must be better---I can' tell you how many people I dialyzed because of overuse of Tylenol shutting down their kidneys. Ironically, Tylenol is what they can have instead of aspirin once they are on dialysis---aspirin can easily cause gastric bleeds on dialysis patients. Adults, too have shut down their kidneys with Tylenol.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
It's the 4th of July, not make up fact day.

Jim
Feel free to refute the source and provide your own to show how this is made up. Until then, this post is extraordinarily awful.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Yeah I'm not exactly holding my breath about this being true either, but as much as I can see opposition to it, frankly I wish it was legal AND the law of the land (the details would need ironed out of course). There is no sane reason for young girls old enough to conceive but hardly old enough to be parents NOT to get pregnant. That is not a "right" any girl should have.
Is there a typo in the bit if bolded?
It shortens to
"there is no reason for young girls not to get pregnant"

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Feel free to refute the source and provide your own to show how this is made up. Until then, this post is extraordinarily awful.

Well some of us are grown up enough to know when a source is promoting an agenda based on bogus information.

Jim

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Present to us the bogus information and how you know this.

Not possible to prove a negative.

Just google the story and the only sites which present the story are conservative sites quoting from the same source.

Jim

Upvote 0

cmarie423

Momma of 3
Mar 18, 2007
California
✟17,406.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I saw this news story on my local news actually. There isn't a link on the website, but I did find this one. http://grist.org/living/a-seattle-high-school-is-taking-birth-control-access-to-the-next-level/ I know that many people don't see this as factual but I do. Schools in many states are allowed to administer BC. This is just another form. Obviously they would need an actual doctor trained to insert this, but even at doctors offices in my town if a person is 11 or older they are allowed to have BC without parental consent. Not that this is a good thing at all by any means. But, schools are doing stuff like this.

Upvote 0