(SDB) Seventh-day Baptist vs (SDA) Seventh-day Adventist vs (SEA) Seventh-day Evangelical Adventist vs (COG7) Seventh-day Church of God.

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have been thinking about becoming a Seventh-day Baptist. Recently Tall73 pointed out that the SDB do not have an official statement on Eternal Torment. This was the main thing keeping me from becoming an SDB. I thought they did. Now I am wondering if I should attempt to stay in the SDA church and make it SEA or just become SDB? what are the pro's and con's

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I have been thinking about becoming a Seventh-day Baptist. Recently Tall73 pointed out that the SDB do not have an official statement on Eternal Torment. This was the main thing keeping me from becoming an SDB. I thought they did. Now I am wondering if I should attempt to stay in the SDA church and make it SEA or just become SDB? what are the pro's and con's

What about becoming a member of a church that worships on every day of the week, that recognizes Saturday as the Sabbath and worships on that day, while also worshipping on Sunday, because our Lord arose from the dead on Sunday and it was also on that day that the Holy Spirit descended upon the Apostles, at the third hour (9 AM), and which fasts on Wednesday and Friday in memory of the betrayal and crucifixion of our Lord, God and Savior Jesus Christ? Because if you read St. Justin Martyr and other second and first century writings, for example, the first century Church Orders called the Didache and the Didascalia, it becomes clear that the Early Church worshipped in that way. There is substantial Biblical and Patristic support for this approach, whereas prior to the 16th century no Christians worshipped primarily on Saturday, with the possible exception of the Ebionites, who dispersed when persecution of all Christians intensified in the third century.

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What about becoming a member of a church that worships on every day of the week, that recognizes Saturday as the Sabbath and worships on that day, while also worshipping on Sunday, because our Lord arose from the dead on Sunday and it was also on that day that the Holy Spirit descended upon the Apostles, at the third hour (9 AM), and which fasts on Wednesday and Friday in memory of the betrayal and crucifixion of our Lord, God and Savior Jesus Christ? Because if you read St. Justin Martyr and other second and first century writings, for example, the first century Church Orders called the Didache and the Didascalia, it becomes clear that the Early Church worshipped in that way. There is substantial Biblical and Patristic support for this approach, whereas prior to the 16th century no Christians worshipped primarily on Saturday, with the possible exception of the Ebionites, who dispersed when persecution of all Christians intensified in the third century.
which group are you recommending.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,937.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like they are much more in line with your doctrine than the Seventh-day Adventists given your statements on what you believe as compared to the actual Fundamental Beliefs of the Seventh-day Adventist denomination. I think it is a good move for you.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The Adventist Church could change, could splinter, but likely it won't change much. So why not go to a church where you can fellowship without being seen as a heretic, and that still values the Sabbath?

The drawback is that you have a lot of cultural ties to Adventism, but you can still visit Adventists whenever you want anyway.

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Adventist Church could change, could splinter, but likely it won't change much. So why not go to a church where you can fellowship without being seen as a heretic, and that still values the Sabbath?

The drawback is that you have a lot of cultural ties to Adventism, but you can still visit Adventists whenever you want anyway.
the social and cultural ties are the main reasons now. I am looking to get a few people together to make HBF first. there are a few ex sda's, a few Seventh-day baptist and a few disenfranchised sda's and Some messianic wanna be's so there might be a good core group.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Understanding the state of the dead is important. If one believes in eternal torment ... then one believes they are immortal (all have eternal life) either eternal life in a burning place or eternal life not in a burning place.

We (mankind) are mortal (subject to death) we do not become immortal until Jesus returns and the 1st resurrection happens.

Death is death ..... cease to exist. The first death is temporal earthly non existence .... the 2nd death is for eternity ... never to exist again.

Jesus calls death a sleep (dormant in the grave - hell) ... why? Because all will be resurrected one day, some to eternal life .... some to
eternal death.

God is love .... not a torturing monster of some kind.

• Love
Reactions: Terri Dactyl
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Understanding the state of the dead is important. If one believes in eternal torment ... then one believes they are immortal (all have eternal life) either eternal life in a burning place or eternal life not in a burning place.

We (mankind) are mortal (subject to death) we do not become immortal until Jesus returns and the 1st resurrection happens.

Death is death ..... cease to exist. The first death is temporal earthly non existence .... the 2nd death is for eternity ... never to exist again.

Jesus calls death a sleep (dormant in the grave - hell) ... why? Because all will be resurrected one day, some to eternal life .... some to
eternal death.

Would need to be in controversial theology I suppose to elaborate. But in any case the SDB don't spell out as many beliefs so people may hold different views.

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

eternal death.

that is all well and good. Thanks for your input, but I really don't want to go into a theological discussion on the State of the Dead. I have resolved that in my mind. I am now looking for a church where I can live with myself and in peace with others.

Upvote 0