Scientists don't require time machines to study craters.

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,117.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
He may have prayerfully made a deathbed conversion, like Charles Darwin did.
Perhaps you are unware that Charles Darwin did not make a deathbed conversion. Now that you are aware of this, please do not post demonstrably false information.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Perhaps you are unaware that Charles Darwin did not make a deathbed conversion.

I debated this in-depth here years ago.

I'll be more than happy to debate it again.

Now that you are aware of this, please do not post demonstrably false information.

If that's what you call "demonstrably false," you can start calling me Genghis Khan.

If you'd like to debate Charles Darwin's deathbed (or near deathbed) conversion start a thread and let's get to it.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,904.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single

You mean you saying?:

Darwin's own family can take a hike.

Unless they were with Mr. Darwin 24/7, they can say what they want and I don't have to accept it.

Others didn't ... mind if I don't, either?

Saying "I can say what I want about a dead person and you can't tell me otherwise" isn't really debating...

• Agree
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟241,117.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

If that's what you call "demonstrably false," you can start calling me Genghis Khan.

If you'd like to debate Charles Darwin's deathbed (or near deathbed) conversion start a thread and let's get to it.
Your posting style makes it impossible to debate with you. I could present the clear evidence that you are mistaken and you would simply double down on your original error. It was behaviour like that, from you and others, which led me to abandon this forum for almost six months because of the impact it was having on my mental wellbeing. So, no AV, I do not wish to debate with you on a done deal.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Your posting style makes it impossible to debate with you. I could present the clear evidence that you are mistaken and you would simply double down on your original error. It was behaviour like that, from you and others, which led me to abandon this forum for almost six months because of the impact it was having on my mental wellbeing. So, no AV, I do not wish to debate with you on a done deal.

Fair enough.

I'll take Post 143 with a grain of salt then.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We understand that you are adverse to unwelcome facts.

I'm willing to discuss your "unwelcome facts."

Anytime, anywhere.

As long as it's on this site.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'm willing to discuss your "unwelcome facts."
As noted by others above, the fact that Darwin did not "recant" on his death bed had been discussed with you before (I seem to recall at least one such occurrence) and it was to no avail. As also noted above there is no point "debating" with you.
Anytime, anywhere.

Except you seem to have a condition...
As long as it's on this site.
Which is not "anywhere".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As noted by others above, the fact that Darwin did not "recant" on his death bed had been discussed with you before (I seem to recall at least one such occurrence) and it was to no avail. As also noted above there is no point "debating" with you.

Reluctance noted.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is nothing to be gained by "debating" you about established facts.

Ya ... those "established facts" might change before we're done, mightn't they?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The evidence from Darwin's deathbed isn't going to change. Time machines don't exist.

Oh, sorry.

I forgot we were talking about Darwin's deathbed.

I was thinking about the Creation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is nothing to be gained by "debating" you about established facts.

I've seen your "established facts."

Telling me his kids say he didn't convert, doesn't cut it.

They weren't there in the room with him.

Elizabeth Cotton was.

And I'll point this out again.

The same thing happened with my father, where my sister -- (who hated him) -- claimed he didn't convert.

Yet his pastor claimed he did convert.

And I spoke with my dad and yes ... he did convert.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I've seen your "established facts."

Telling me his kids say he didn't convert, doesn't cut it.

They weren't there in the room with him.

Elizabeth Cotton was.

And I'll point this out again.

The same thing happened with my father, where my sister -- (who hated him) -- claimed he didn't convert.

Yet his pastor claimed he did convert.

And I spoke with my dad and yes ... he did convert.

what part of not going to debate facts with you do you not understand?

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟241,117.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
what part of not going to debate facts with you do you not understand?
In circumstances like these AV likely feels that by getting "us" to refuse to debate with him he can argue that we are afraid to debate, because we know we have a weak case. I imagine this would be effective with those members and lurkers who believe Darwin did convert on his deathbed.

Then we have the peculiar attitude of the subset of humanity who believe this. Somehow this alleged last minute acceptance of Christ invalidates his lifes work on evolution. It doesn't! The evidence and chain of reasoning he collected and constructed stands apart any personal actions he took. He could have been a wife beater, a bank robber, or a harsh landlord and none of those would have relevance to his evolutionary findings.

Instead we have the precocious young student, engaged as much in hunting and collecting beatles as his studies; the brilliant young scientist collecting a world of experience and observation aboard the Beagle; the cautious researcher patiently exploring the evidence for and the character of the evolutionary process; the startled middle age man who learned he was in danger of losing priority for his findings to Wallace; and the ageing scientist who continued to develop his ideas, despite painful physical conditions and tragic family events. That give us a different, and I think attracitve, view of the man, yet that too does not alter in the slightest the facts of evolution.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,301.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
In circumstances like these AV likely feels that by getting "us" to refuse to debate with him he can argue that we are afraid to debate, because we know we have a weak case. I imagine this would be effective with those members and lurkers who believe Darwin did convert on his deathbed.

Then we have the peculiar attitude of the subset of humanity who believe this. Somehow this alleged last minute acceptance of Christ invalidates his lifes work on evolution. It doesn't! The evidence and chain of reasoning he collected and constructed stands apart any personal actions he took. He could have been a wife beater, a bank robber, or a harsh landlord and none of those would have relevance to his evolutionary findings.

Instead we have the precocious young student, engaged as much in hunting and collecting beatles as his studies; the brilliant young scientist collecting a world of experience and observation aboard the Beagle; the cautious researcher patiently exploring the evidence for and the character of the evolutionary process; the startled middle age man who learned he was in danger of losing priority for his findings to Wallace; and the ageing scientist who continued to develop his ideas, despite painful physical conditions and tragic family events. That give us a different, and I think attracitve, view of the man, yet that too does not alter in the slightest the facts of evolution.
I recall at NYU- maybe because I am Asian-
this guy approached me to talk Jesus.
Among the things he said was that he'd
posted a Challenge ( sound familiar?) for
them big professors to publicly debate him
on Evolution.

I suppose he returned to creoland to brag
about how they were afraid to debate.

Upvote 0