• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Schizophrenia Help

Oct 29, 2004
Phoenix, Arizona
✟7,643.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone!

I have had weird symptoms my whole life and nobody knew what was going on. I started seeing a psychiatrist when I was 16 and was put on Zyprexa(A schizophrenia medication). (I was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and obsessive-compulsive disorder.:eek: ) In about 12 months after taking it, I gained nearly 100 pounds. Zyprexa causes EXTREME weight gain.:eek: ) After being fed up of being overweight, I quit the medication. After 6 months of diet and exersise, I was skinny again(not as skinny as I was before seeing the psychiatrist, but still skinny.) My symptoms came back and I ended up in the mental hospital. (Then I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety on top of my other diagnosies.) They put me on the Risperdal Consta Shot bi-weekly. This medication doesn't cause nearly the same amount of weight gain that Zyprexa does.:p Now I'm in a program called the Prespeterian Service Agency which is a recovery program. I'm also off of the shot and am taking the Risperdal orally. I'm doing a little better now with my schizophrenia/ocd/anxiety/depression symptoms, but I need to get better. The good part is that my weight is perfect. Praise to Jesus!:clap: I will never again take Zyprexa! I would appreciate it if someone could pray for me and share opinions on what you think about this and what I could do in the future. Thank you for reading my true life story and God bless you!:wave:

kooolfriend

Turning ashes into beauty
Jul 5, 2004
✟2,115.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
:hug:
I shall keep you in my prayers.

I have loved ones which suffers from schizophrenia too.
Deliverance is a long process.
Be of good courage, and keep trusting God.
Jesus is the great deliverer.
He is the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end. What He has started in you, He shall complete it.

Jesus loves you much.

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I have relatives who have schizophrenia. I am also doing a social work internship at a facility where my clients are schizophrenic, and addicted. In addition, I am on risperdal, lexapro and buspar for a variety of symptoms that go with borderline personality disorder.

Mental illness is no fun, but with a good therapist, and hard work, we can experience victory. Before going off medication, please, please please discuss it with your doctor.

Hugs,
Trish

Upvote 0

megjesfai

Nov 9, 2004
✟188.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I was delivered from those types of medications. I pray that you will find the strength to one day be free of them. schitzophrenia is not an incurable disease. Niether is borderline personality disorder. I am living proof of that. But Jesus is the only answer. these meds are a temporary solution but in the end Jesus is the only way. i'm not condeming you for taking the meds. i just love you in the Lord and pray that you will one day have the strength to be free. you can win this battle. with out meds or a therapist or anything. Jesus is the only way....satan wants us to believe that we need meds and therapists and what to set us free. but DO not underestimate the power of our Lord and savior.
God Bless you...through him you will be freed of the torment.
luv ya in the Lord
~meg~

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
A. Characteristic symptoms: Two (or more) of the following, each present for a significant portion of time during a 1-month period (or less if successfully treated):

• delusions
  • hallucinations
  • disorganized speech (e.g., frequent derailment or incoherence)
  • grossly disorganized or catatonic behavior
  • negative symptoms, i.e., affective flattening, alogia, or avolition

Upvote 0

CWLite

Oct 31, 2004
Scarborough, Ontario
✟15,664.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I have no experience in schitzophrenia and I figure it must be scary at times. I hope I don't offend anyone when I say this.

I have heard ministers talk about mental illness and schitzophrenia, and I was educated a little by a prophet about these illnesses. What I have learn and it makes sense from my standpoint, demon activity. I believe all those symptoms listed above are directly related to demons tormenting their victim. Demon can even harbour in Christians, something that I was suprised at. I have seen a few deliverances (it was kind scary being a spectator) and I had previously thought this was only in movies.

A girl in my church was suffering from depression (she is a model), but not one person new about it. She had been tormented for 4 years with it. While the prophet was preaching with fire, I mean you could feel something in the air, this girl started screaming out of control. Her screams still echo in my head. She curledup into a tight ball, as if using all her strength. It took 2 hours to rid the demon from her. After that day, she has never been the same. 100% more energetic and positive, and she loves the Lord intimately.

Matthew 10
1He called his twelve disciples to him and gave them authority to drive out evil[1] spirits and to heal every disease and sickness.

I suggest that you find a minister that believes in the authority of Jesus to try and drive that demon out. I figure that you don't have anything to lose. When the Holy Spirit comes with power, all darkness must flee. With the girl, the demon was root so deep in her that the demon had a lot to hold onto. It wreathed in pain caused by the Holy Spirit.

I don't mean to freak you out or anything, but satan is all too real andwill do everything to get at God's people. There is a lot I still don't know, but knowing is half the battle, right.

I pray that I might have given you hope.

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Tell me something. Are demons responsible for our brain chemistry? Do they control the endorphin levels, and the seratonin levels in our brains? Did this prophet have a degree in psychoneurology? psychopharmacology?

My research tells me that many people who have suffered schizophrenia have a chemical problem in their brain, and with proper medication they can find relief of the psychotic symptoms. Therapy helps the patient develop the social skills they lack, because the mental illness usually causes them to isolate, and they don't have those skills. Also, many schizophrenics lack ADL, or activities of daily living, like bathing daily, brushing teeth, doing laundry, eating properly, somethings they didn't do when they were delusional.

In addition, many schizophrenics have experienced severe childhood traumas, like sexual abuse, or some other trauma. Sometimes the hallucinations or delusions were defenses that helped block the pain of the trauma experience from coming to the surface.

But then, my experience is only from having been raised with schizophrenic relatives, research while doing an MSW, and working with schizophrenics who are dually diagnosed with addictions.

I would never, ever, ever encourage a schizophrenic to go off their meds. I also would never, ever, ever send them to some healer.

I believe that God does not need people to heal us, He is perfectly capable of doing it without a human being helping Him.

I also do not believe that a demon cannot inhabit what is inhabited by God. Romans 8:38-39. "38For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[a] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. "

Madison

Upvote 0

Godsgirl481

The Dark Wolf
Jul 13, 2004
✟20,687.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
madison1101 said:
A. Characteristic symptoms: Two (or more) of the following, each present for a significant portion of time during a 1-month period (or less if successfully treated):
  • delusions
  • hallucinations
  • disorganized speech (e.g., frequent derailment or incoherence)
  • grossly disorganized or catatonic behavior
  • negative symptoms, i.e., affective flattening, alogia, or avolition

Okay...well I don't have the first 3 at anytime in my life...the last 2 I have no clue what they are. I have thoughts in my head....like when I am driving, I could be in the best mood ever, and I will have this thought of driving my car into a wall, or into on-coming traffic...was just wondering if this was the problem or not :sigh:

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Bams,

Have you tried to talk to someone about your thoughts of self-harm? Are you thinking any other thoughts of self-harm? Have you ever acted on those thoughts?

You can't diagnose yourself from a list of symptoms. You need to talk to a professional who can determine if you are in danger of hurting yourself.

Hugs,
Madison

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
A pervasive pattern of instability of interpersonal relationships, self-image, and affects, and
marked impulsivity beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated
by five (or more) of the following:

1. frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment. Note: Do not include suicidal or
self-mutilating behavior covered in Criterion 5.

2. a pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating
between extremes of idealization and devaluation

3. identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self

4. impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., spending, sex,
substance abuse, reckless driving, binge eating). Note: Do not include suicidal or self-mutilating
behavior covered in Criterion 5.

5. recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating behavior

6. affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria,
irritability, or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days)

7. chronic feelings of emptiness

8. inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper,
constant anger, recurrent physical fights)

9. transient, stress-related paranoid ideation or severe dissociative symptoms

Upvote 0

Godsgirl481

The Dark Wolf
Jul 13, 2004
✟20,687.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What are you naming the sympthoms of??? Cause you are describing me. However...I think most of that is not just one disorder...I think it is a misture of problems caused by extreme abuse as a child. All those feelings/behaviors started at a very young age...and are becoming more and more mixed up as I get older

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Those are the symptoms of borderline personality disorder. They describe me about 15 years ago. I had 8 of the criteria.

Extreme abuse is a classic experience in people who are diagnosed with borderline personality.

You might want to consider getting help from a qualified therapist. That person could make a real diagnosis of you.

There is help and hope for it. I have experienced great victory over it.

God bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Therapists usually love what they do. Their motivation is to help a person heal from past hurts, and learn effective coping skills to manage emotions and change behavior.

Don't put off getting help. You will be amazed at how much it will help.

Madison

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I am sorry to hear that you are so afraid of people. Your abuse must have been really traumatic for you. Have you been able to talk to anyone about the abuse you endured? Sometimes it takes years to get the courage to open up about it.

I was sexually abused as a teenager, and have only recently been able to overcome some of its effects.

God bless.

Upvote 0

Godsgirl481

The Dark Wolf
Jul 13, 2004
✟20,687.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I took a 12 week sexual abuse support class in my old church...twice...and I talked in there...but my past consists of more than just that...and I have a hard time talking about all of it. I am getting a little better I think. I am better at talking in a group...instead of one on one...kind of like a spot light on me...scares me

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Sometimes it helps to journal about the trauma. Putting it down on paper helps to think about it and get it off your chest without telling anybody.

I often wrote to my therapist about stuff I was afraid to bring up in a session. I would mail the letter to him between sessions. He would take my letter and ask me about it, sometimes reading stuff out of it. This helped me overcome my anxiety about talking about some stuff, and helped me work through a lot of the feelings.

The fact that you can mention it here is a great start. Talking about it in a group also helps tremendously. Just know that any good therapist is able to guide you through the healing process, and help you move on to the next phase of growth. The neat thing is you can talk about your fear of being there with the person, and they will understand completely. They are trained to listen and protect your safety.

God bless your journey.

Upvote 0