• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

scared...don't know what to expect

Tsaxgurl317

Nov 27, 2002
tx
✟910.00
Faith
Christian
My mom just told me that she is making me go to a psychologist(sp?) tommarrow. She's had the appt. scheduled for a while she says, since she found diet pills and knives in my room. I really don't know what to expect and am quiet scared. I really don't want to go. :( Please pray for me

Reactions: Inspired

Stanfi

Senior Veteran
Aug 22, 2003
West Virginia
✟17,821.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Tsaxgurl,

First, I am praying for you.

Second, don't be afraid. God will be with you. I have never been to therapy, but just listen to the therpaist and talk to them. They may be able to help you. This could be the beginning of a whole new life for you, don't be scared.

Upvote 0

sioleabha

Mom to 5, Wife to Flesh99, Daughter to the KING!
Dec 9, 2003
Houston, Texas
Visit site
✟15,883.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know just how you feel. I've been there, and done that.

For a long time I refused to seek any kind of help for my problem (dysthymia) because "that's just the way I am, and I don't want to change who I am." I HATED the thought of counseling, or worse, medication. Not only was I sure they COULDN'T help me, I didn't WANT them to.

But this isn't what God wants for you. He has a better life for you, and you only need to accept it.

Upvote 0

urbanfaerie

Veteran
Apr 17, 2003
gargamel's castle
Visit site
✟1,392.00
Faith
Non-Denom
u'll be fine. don't sweat it girl. really, it'll be ok.

ur first appointment, is an assessment. where they determine where u stand, emotionally, physically, and what u need from them. be it moral support, someone to confide in, etc.

since ur 15, u'll more then likely be accompanied by an adult. which is really kinda sucky, and makes the whole trust issue between doctor and patient that much harder..cuz everything u tell them, (i.e. concerning hurting urself) they by legal law have to tell ur folks.

ur first visit, u sign a whole lotta papers. possibly a 'no harm' contract. u might get weighed, if they wanna track ur progress, in the coming weeks, ( or in a lot of cases.. see if T helps you, or makes u worse.) and u talk about urself. why ur there, what u do, what makes u do it, and tell them how u want them to help. they may try to get other people involved in treating u. group therapy, pychologist ( someone who can precribe meds.. the one ur seeing, can't.) treatment, or just one on one counceling.

its really not that scarey. u'll get used to it. this may be just what you need. it'll suck til u get comfortable.. so give it time, in order for u to get better, this is a step towards happiness. but just keep in mind..happiness doesn't always come right away. so don't get dissapointed if u leave, and ur still a mess..emotionally ;)

this could very well be blessing in disguise, i'm glad u get the oppurtunity to get treatment at ur age now.

and don't even get me started on lecturing about diet pills, and cutting. that stuff will screw u up. physically & emotionally. its no way to solve ur problems.. its a way to die.. but i'm sure u know this. so i won't get started. but if u ever need a ear, i'm just a PM away.

good luck, tommorrow. don't be afraid to open up. they arent out there to get you..they are there to help you.

Reactions: Tsaxgurl317
Upvote 0

jayebrownlee

Senior Veteran
Jul 23, 2002
Aberdeen, Scotland
Visit site
✟18,244.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
lots of good advice here.

I have been seeing a psychologist for about 2 years now, I see a psychiatrist too to prescribe meds and they are only there to help. I hated going to my psychologust for a while so she let me have a break nowe I see her about oncce a fortnight.

Let go and tell them everything, they can be a good place to let off steam, but only if you can trust her (or him)

Jay

Upvote 0

Inspired

only hurts when I breathe
Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Tsaxgurl317 said:
My mom just told me that she is making me go to a psychologist(sp?) tommarrow. She's had the appt. scheduled for a while she says, since she found diet pills and knives in my room. I really don't know what to expect and am quiet scared. I really don't want to go. :( Please pray for me

You'll be fine. Be honest let it all out, they didn't throw me in a straight jacket, i'm sure you'll come out without one too. ;)

The thing to do now, is to take advantage of the situation. EVERYONE needs help at some point in their life, you've got the chance to have someone help you, let em. Pour it all out, be honest. They are there to help you learn how to deal with everythign going on in your life, but if you aren't honest and don't tell them what all is going on, they can't help you with that. Once you start going, you'll actually look forward to it, someone who has to sit there and listen to you rant, rave and vent about anything and everything, lol and better yet, they can help you sort it all out, and make everything so you can deal with it, instead of seeming like everything is going wrong all at once.

They are going to ask you tons of questions, be honest,there are no wrong answers. And unless you tell them the alien that lives next door told your dog to tell you that purple elephants are going to take over the world, you'll be going home about an hour later. :hug:

Upvote 0

Mr.Cheese

Legend
Apr 14, 2002
✟21,948.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Don't be scared. The best thing you can do is be open with the person and spill everything. If you don't talk, they can't help you through things. The first couple of times might just be kind of boring until you can open up.
Counselors/psychologists can really help you out.
I've got a doctor myself I go see regularly.
He's cool. he lives on chocolate and coffee. Just my kind of guy.

Let this person help you out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Risen Tree

previously Rising Tree
Nov 20, 2002
Georgia
✟18,382.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Good to hear that. I hope that whatever you are struggling with, you and your psychologist are able to work through it.

Sorry if this sounds like a generic response, but without the knowledge of what you're going through, that's about all I can give you.

Feel free to PM me if you need someone to talk to.

Upvote 0

Petzie

Dec 28, 2003
✟213.00
Faith
Atheist
Tsaxgurl317 said:

Don't worry. We're praying for you.

I used to have very severe panic attacks :cry: I didn't want to tell anyone, but they started to get worse, and eventually I went an got herbal medication and I'm all better now. Don't be scared. There's a reason for everything :hug:

Upvote 0

secretdawn

Nov 24, 2003
Missouri
Visit site
✟783.00
Faith
Christian
It is easy to say "don't be scared" and much harder to do. Go ahead and be afraid, just remember you control your own emotions (and it works better if you pray for God to be with you)...they don't have to control you...if you don't feel comfortable talking, don't, and if you do, then talk...you don't have to say anything you don't want to, but it seems clear you need to talk to someone, so if this person doesn't make you comfortable, or give you the help you need...maybe you could ask your mom if you could see a Christian Councelor instead...or group therepy...there you could make friends who you know won't judge you because they are going through the same thing. Basically, make this work for you, but don't fight it...if you do they will most likely come to some conclusion that isn't true because you are shutting them out. Work with you Mom and tell her you want the help, but make an agreement that you will try everything she suggests, if she will respect some of your ideas too...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums