saved but embarrassed to tell people about God?

heavenbaby

Mar 24, 2011
✟15,112.00
Faith
Christian
Hi everyone, I'm saved and asked Jesus to save me and put my trust in him as my savior. Well, just today we were in the store and my husband was handing out Gospel tracts inviting people to church...I'm a student and I saw this girl that's in one of my classes...and I told my husband not to give a tract to her...it was because I guess I was embarrassed. My husband said he never thought I'd tell him not to give someone the gospel. I've been scared ever since because it says in the Bible if you're ashamed of me I'll be ashamed of you...and I'm scared I'll go to hell now because I withheld the Gospel from someone because I was embarrassed on how she might perceive me...I was ashamed of him so he'll be ashamed of me? Will I go to hell?

faceofbear

Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Texas
✟9,739.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Peter was ashamed of Christ 3 times in one day, yet he was the "rock" that Christ built His church upon. Don't worry about it. I'm not one for giving out the gospel much either. I probably should, as I don't know how many people really know the Gospel. I tend to share it with people online (I don't like talking to people in person already, so the gospel is even harder for me), and in person, I just let people know that I'm a Christian. Like, when I have my classes when we do our "introductions," I just let people know that I'm a Christian and try to let my hard work and my grades/good work in school speak to them (considering a lot of them think Christians are closed-minded and ignorant). But you also have to remember that people might not know the Gospel, even if they think they do (as most people think you just "believe in God"). So, I just leave tracks lying around, I don't necessarily hand them to anyone personally. Living Waters has one about what science confirms the truthfulness of the Bible, I leave these at college =]. At least it might get someone looking more into the Bible, if the Spirit so chooses.

Upvote 0

savedfromdistruction

Dec 30, 2006
Texas
Visit site
✟8,870.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone, I'm saved and asked Jesus to save me and put my trust in him as my savior. Well, just today we were in the store and my husband was handing out Gospel tracts inviting people to church...I'm a student and I saw this girl that's in one of my classes...and I told my husband not to give a tract to her...it was because I guess I was embarrassed. My husband said he never thought I'd tell him not to give someone the gospel. I've been scared ever since because it says in the Bible if you're ashamed of me I'll be ashamed of you...and I'm scared I'll go to hell now because I withheld the Gospel from someone because I was embarrassed on how she might perceive me...I was ashamed of him so he'll be ashamed of me? Will I go to hell?

It is good that you understand your sin. Peter also denied Him and was forgiven. Just confess your sin and move on seeking to not deny Him in the future.
1john 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Upvote 0

Anihilus

Jul 10, 2009
✟8,217.00
Faith
Baptist
Fear of man, it is a deep rooted sin. We have all been in that situation, not speaking up because of being afraid of how somebody might perceive us.

It is a sign that we are holding on to something, namely our image and our "reputation".

You could try giving a gospel tract to the girl in your class yourself and share the gospel with her in order to combat this.

I know it will be terrifying but it might be a good way to combat the fear.

Upvote 0

PintoBean

AlwaysHopeful
Sep 17, 2010
USA
✟15,300.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It gets better with practice. God forgives when we confess what we did. Besides, if she had laughed in your face and called you a Jesus freak and made fun of you, Jesus said we are blessed when we are persecuted for His name's sake. This is part of 'taking up our cross and following Him'.

Been there, done that!

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

What is the evidence of your salvation?

Upvote 0

heavenbaby

Mar 24, 2011
✟15,112.00
Faith
Christian
I know alot of people who are saved but yet are afraid to talk to their friends or family about Christ. I don't think it doesn't mean we aren't saved...I believe in God with all my heart and know I asked him to save me...I think the devil whispers in our ear and says oh don't do that so and so is going to think this or that...we aren't perfect after we get saved are we? No. I was just afraid because of what that verrse said and I don't want God to be ashamed of me and deny me. I'm just not to that point yet where I have enough confidence or courage to go up to people and hand them tracts him public places or witness to them

Upvote 0

HosannaHM

Christian Saved by Grace
Apr 4, 2010
Midwest
✟18,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know alot of people who are saved but yet are afraid to talk to their friends or family about Christ. I don't think it doesn't mean we aren't saved...I believe in God with all my heart and know I asked him to save me...I think the devil whispers in our ear and says oh don't do that so and so is going to think this or that...we aren't perfect after we get saved are we? No. I was just afraid because of what that verrse said and I don't want God to be ashamed of me and deny me. I'm just not to that point yet where I have enough confidence or courage to go up to people and hand them tracts him public places or witness to them

It takes a lot of faith and trust for the Lord Christ Jesus. Boldness and cofidence may be a good thing to pray about. Jesus has overcome the world, but satan does not want you to see this. Every Christian struggles with sharing the gospel sometimes, even the greatest evangelists out there. You put yourself on the frontlines of a spiritual warfare when you do this. You stand out in the name of Christ. Our obligation as Christians is exactly what Jesus says in Matthew 28:19-20
"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

I know it's difficult and definitely uncomfortable, but remember Jesus was rejected by just about every person He came in contact with excluding His disciples. But you can remember this:

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9

So remember, Christ is always right there with you when step out in faith for Him ☨

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hisbygrace

Carried On The Wings Of An Eagle
Sep 22, 2004
California
✟158,418.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Politics
US-Democrat
It takes a lot of faith and trust for the Lord Christ Jesus. Boldness and cofidence may be a good thing to pray about. Jesus has overcome the world, but satan does not want you to see this. Every Christian struggles with sharing the gospel sometimes, even the greatest evangelists out there. You put yourself on the frontlines of a spiritual warfare when you do this. You stand out in the name of Christ. Our obligation as Christians is exactly what Jesus says in Matthew 28:19-20
"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

I know it's difficult and definitely uncomfortable, but remember Jesus was rejected by just about every person He came in contact with excluding His disciples. But you can remember this:

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9

So remember, Christ is always right there with you when step out in faith for Him ☨

I agree 100% with what iamnot87 has said here. But, would also like to add. I don't think so many times it is that Christians are ashamed to share the gospel with others as much as it is fear of rejection, but we should always strive to remember when called upon to share the gospel it is not we who are being rejected, but the gospel itself. However, we may never know how somewhere down the road the Holy Spirit may bring back to memory what we have said and the seed may grow. I believe the most important thing to remember is to let the Holy Spirit work through us.

Upvote 0

Katarinea

eagerly waiting for heaven
Feb 13, 2011
West Virginia
✟7,693.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
Perhaps you are scared, as I used to be, because you don't know how to share the Gospel. Can you clearly articulate the plan of salvation? Can you show a person, from the Bible, how they are a sinner that needs Christ? Do you know how to defend the faith? These are all things I didn't know when I first went witnessing, and I was scared WITLESS.

Upvote 0

GrampaJeff

Forgiven
Aug 1, 2009
Ohio
✟7,831.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Witnessing for Christ also involves a Christian lifestyle. Some of the greatest witnesses I've come across are those who's actions speak louder than words. " Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." Matt. 5:16. A lot of times others will see that there is something "different" about your life and become curious which will become a testimony in itself. Leading you to share your faith. Advice: Use scripture whenever you can and in context, but share the love of Jesus through your own experiences and your own life. Some people seem to connect with relating a little better when it's on a personal scale. But don't forsake the opportunity to: "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." Tim 2:15. And when the need arises,....by all means take that leap of faith and you will become bolder in time.
In Christ, Jeff :thumbsup:

Reactions: Hisbygrace
Upvote 0

Matthew Lee

Mar 24, 2011
✟15,154.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would agree with what everyone else has said and would like to add my two cents. I have been in sales and I felt the same fear approaching a potential client as I do when trying to witness. The hardest word for us as humans to hear is "no." If you aren't an outgoing person to begin with it makes it even harder. Remember Nicodemus started out as a secret follower and became bolder as time went on. God doesn't expect us to be perfect right out of the starting gate.

Try some simple steps to begin with. Carry some tracts and leave them kind of like litter. When you eat out, leave one at the table with your tip. If you use the restroom, leave one somewhere in the stall. As for personally presenting the Gospel try a tool like the Wordless Book. An ice breaker might be something like an upside down fishhook. Someone mentions that your fish hook is turned and as you "fix" it it gives you an opening to talk about the Savior and being a fisher of men. It doesn't have to be a fish hook, just something that will get people asking you about what you are wearing. It's much easier to talk to someone when they approach you.

Reactions: Hisbygrace
Upvote 0