Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Saudi Teen Sentenced to 90 Lashes for Cell Phone in School - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News - FOXNews.com

A teenage girl in Saudi Arabia has been sentenced to 90 lashes and two months in prison for taking a cell phone to school, the U.K.'s Daily Mail reported Wednesday.
The 13-year-old's punishment, harsher than that given to some robbers and looters, requires her to be flogged in front of her classmates, the Daily Mail quoted Saudi newspaper Al-Watan.

I assume this is the same flogging that adults get, no difference?
And same prison as adult women go?

Worse punishment then real criminals get.
They specify the use of cell phones in a "girls" school is illegal. Does this mean a boy that brings a cell phone to school is not punished?

I can see no reason to have this as serious a crime, as it is, unles they are trying to link the cell phone to encouraging conversations with the opposite sex, without chaperone?
While a ringing cell phone is a distraction, crippling a girl in front of classmates seems to be a bigger distraction.

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Flagellation is a form of punishment used in certain cases under Islamic Sharia law. In Islam, lashes for punishment are to be performed with a book under one arm to minimise the swing, are not supposed to leave permanent scars, and when the number of lashes are high, are frequently done in batches to minimise risk of harm.[10]
She might not have visiable scars but she will have mental scars.

I might see a reason to use this punishment for some extreme crimes,
I don't see a reason to use this on young teens.

But alot of things done in the name of Islam are beyond me.

Upvote 0

Mystman

Atheist with a Reason
Jun 24, 2005
✟22,286.00
Faith
Atheist
Btw, from the full Daily Mail article:

"A court ordered the girl to be flogged in front of her classmates following an assault on the school principal, according to the Saudi daily newspaper Al-Watan."

I'm not sure what the journalistic standards of the Daily Mail are... but something tells me the assault on the school principal might have played some role in the punishment?

Upvote 0

Rochir

By Grabthar's hammer ... YES.WEEK.END!
Sep 27, 2004
In your lap
Visit site
✟31,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Ah, our best pals the oil rich Saudis...

I highly doubt that the Qur'an says anything about taking cell phones to school.

Likely as little as the Bible says anything about the use of birth controle!

Upvote 0

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Ah, our best pals the oil rich Saudis...

I highly doubt that the Qur'an says anything about taking cell phones to school.

There is nothing in the Holy Qur'an nor a Hadith that requires this kind of punishment for this. Punishing a young girl for bringing a cellphone to school is just crazy and something I'm sure the Prophet SAW would not approve of at all. The religious police in Saudi Arabia do not enforce Shar'ia but their own warped version of Islam that they are mixing with culture. Pretty sad indeed.

I am truly ashamed of these people calling themselves Muslims, when they do things like this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Makes you glad you live in America even tho were in the worest recession in decades and racism and prejudice are at an all time high. But things in America will get better right? Just as sure the Saudis will change so will America.

Racism and Prejudice are at an all time high? I'm not sure what America you live in but if you wanna experience racism and prejudice, try being an Arab or Turk living in European nations. They get treated with disdain.

Upvote 0

Ellinas

Dec 30, 2009
✟727.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Racism and Prejudice are at an all time high? I'm not sure what America you live in but if you wanna experience racism and prejudice, try being an Arab or Turk living in European nations. They get treated with disdain.
Yunanistan is a European country and we do not treat Muslims badly. Sure you may have the odd racist but in general you may find that my country is viewed highly in the Arab world.
Salaam:wave:

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Btw, from the full Daily Mail article:

"A court ordered the girl to be flogged in front of her classmates following an assault on the school principal, according to the Saudi daily newspaper Al-Watan."

I'm not sure what the journalistic standards of the Daily Mail are... but something tells me the assault on the school principal might have played some role in the punishment?
Anyone else find this story? That would be a big difference, assault is an adult crime, so adult punishment would apply.(Not saying flogging is a good punishment for assault, just better then having a cell phone)

Europe treats Arabs and Turks worse than Americans do?
Post 9-11, I would think the US would be higher on the list.
I guess prejudice has to cultivated, rather than flipped on like a switch.
Of course, excluding those that lost loved ones on 9-11, they would be alot more likely to harbor prejudice.

Saudi's will change, but that doesn't help this child nor all the other people
getting beaten for minor offences.
Sharia law sounds like vigilante law to me. People unite to enforce a system of law that the goverment nor the people ever voted on being made law. They make the determination of what is the law, and enforce it according to what they believe, in some cases punish the "offender" without trial.(beating and raping of a woman that dared speak to a man that was not a family member.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mystman

Atheist with a Reason
Jun 24, 2005
✟22,286.00
Faith
Atheist
Anyone else find this story? That would be a big difference, assault is an adult crime, so adult punishment would apply.(Not saying flogging is a good punishment for assault, just better then having a cell phone)

The Daily Mail article that's linked by Fox has been changed to state this:

"She had assaulted her headmistress after being caught with the gadget which is banned in girl schools, said Al-Watan, a Saudi newspaper."

So yeah. The sequence of events is:

-Al Watan newspaper reports on the event (girl is flogged for attacking headmistress after she was discovered to have brought a phone to school)

-Daily Mail guy reads Al-Watan article, decides it isn't shocking enough, and writes an article that is extremely misleading but not actually lying. The Daily Mail's headline makes it look like the punishment is for taking the phone to school, but technically it's correct. ("Timothy McVeigh executed after drinking Coca Cola" is also technically correct)

-Fox news guy reads the Daily Mail article, takes the intended (but incorrect interpretation), and presents it as factual news, thereby reporting a falsehood (the Fox headline is NOT true)

Go crappy journalism!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KTatis

Mar 17, 2007
The Heavenly Abode
✟1,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yunanistan is a European country and we do not treat Muslims badly. Sure you may have the odd racist but in general you may find that my country is viewed highly in the Arab world.
Salaam:wave:

HA! I dont think so! You really think Greece is viewed highly in the muslim world? Not to long ago there was an expulsion of Turks from Greece. You may not be racist but majority of your people are racist against Turks and Turks against Greeks. You don't see such racism like that in America where we kicked other people out our land. The least we do is make you our slave call you names. But even then we would never kick an entier ethnicity out our own country it would just be below us.

Upvote 0

KTatis

Mar 17, 2007
The Heavenly Abode
✟1,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Again Americans are treated worest than any other nationality, ethnicity in the world. Everything we do in the middle east is against every other nations interest. 3,000 of our citizens die in one day and we try to find the people responsible and the world is telling America that we are war mongers hahaha c'mon! If someone had bombed the Red Square in Moscow killing hundreds the Russians wouldn't even hesitate to jump on the Gerogians and if Oxford Univerity went up in flames the next day you can bet your bottom dollor the Brits would be begging Obama for thousands of American soliders to help find the perpitraitors. And another thing Turks are mainly untreated by the greeks and thats because the Greeks kicked many Turks out their country. Arabs arent to disliked I mean just about every city in America has an Islamic Community Center and how many times you herd people protesting against it or attemted to blow it up? Now if you went to Arabia and wanted to build a chritian community center or Jewis community center what do you think would happen?

Upvote 0