salvation according to the EO

wigglytug

May 25, 2012
✟7,817.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Thanks Ignatius! I was thinking something similar (I wrote a paper in high school as a protestant on the necessity of sanctification to salvation).

It bugs me when Orthodox doctrine is set up against a straw man of incorrectly depicted protestant doctrines. It makes it seem like we have to stack the deck to "win"... :)

Note: I'm not pointing a finger at anyone in this thread or any other. I just really liked Ignatius' post....
well to be fair thats what happens in alot of those megachurches..... with the pastors trying to be all "kewl"

Upvote 0

Anna Scott

May 29, 2009
Texas
✟21,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You know, all ye who loved gurney's answer....that beauty is simply the beauty of Orthodox teaching. It's the beauty of true Christianity. Maybe you should come check it out.

American vet, the rainbow series is available to read online at oca.org go search for it thee and enjoy! Other common starter books are The orthodox church and the orthodox way by Timothy/kallistos ware, the way of the pilgrim, and I like divine energies: the orthodox path to Christian victory by Jon Braun. Happy reading!

choirfiend,

This is certainly a great thread all around.

I am starting to see the beauty of Orthodoxy. Not saying I'm rushing to convert, but you have the attention of this weary Anglican.

Peace and blessings to all,

Anna

Upvote 0

Anna Scott

May 29, 2009
Texas
✟21,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Oh yeah, absolutely. The fine distinctions have long disappeared among the vast majority of evangelicals, and "saved by faith" has come to mean "made a decision after reading a tract, and came forward at an altar call after a concert, and now I'm totally saved 100% and can't ever lose it, even if I totally quit coming to church forever, and I don't have to do anything or obey or even change my sinful life because that would be 'salvation by works' and we can't have that."

It's a watered down "gospel" that is almost as much an affront to the Protestant Reformers as it is to Orthodoxy.

Ignatius21,

Tragically true.

Anna

Upvote 0

Ignatius21

Can somebody please pass the incense?
May 21, 2009
Dayton, OH
✟22,008.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks Ignatius! I was thinking something similar (I wrote a paper in high school as a protestant on the necessity of sanctification to salvation).

It bugs me when Orthodox doctrine is set up against a straw man of incorrectly depicted protestant doctrines. It makes it seem like we have to stack the deck to "win"... :)

Note: I'm not pointing a finger at anyone in this thread or any other. I just really liked Ignatius' post....

There's been great stuff written about the necessitiy of sanctification. Wesley for instance, and a lot among the Puritans. J.C. Ryle, a "low church" Anglican of the 1800's, wrote a lot on the topic too, and very lucidly.

I always got a sense, reading those sorts of writings, that they were trying to come as close to saying that works are a part of faith (and not just "a fruit"), without actually saying it.

And yes, there are straw man arguments aplenty, on all sides. It's much easier to mock a charicature of an opponent, than to intelligently interact with the a real one.

But it's good to have you on "our side" ^_^

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,486,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟773,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
choirfiend,

This is certainly a great thread all around.

I am starting to see the beauty of Orthodoxy. Not saying I'm rushing to convert, but you have the attention of this weary Anglican.

Peace and blessings to all,

Anna

While Orthodox doctrine is sound, it is good to be cautious since Orthodoxy is far flung in America & not always dynamic.

Upvote 0