Aug 3, 2011
✟22,533.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I am amazed at hearing about long lines for Confession. I never would have guessed. My parish is small--I estimate maybe 300-350 parishioners. So, one or two--or zero-- means less than 1%.

But we are told to Confess once a year. I'm averaging once every 6 months. Last time I went to Confession, my priest acted surprised and said, "Are you here for Confession?"

Upvote 0

TheOtherHockeyMom

Contributor
Jul 9, 2008
✟14,889.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
This has never been legal. Parishes here have a penance service to prepare for one-on-one confessions prior to Christmas, but general absolution has never been allowed.

Well, that wouldn't surprise me. The priest at the time was a bit of a rule breaker. It caused some conflict in our house growing up...neither of my folks were comfortable with him but my mother wasn't willing to go to a different parish because she firmly believed in going where you were supposed to go based on your address. My father started attending a different parish.

Said priest also allowed girls as well as boys to act as altar servers before it was legit to do so. I have to admit I took advantage of that, always wanted to ring the bells and snuff the candles after Mass.

Upvote 0

ZaidaBoBaida

When do I stop being a Newbie?
Jul 17, 2012
Right Here
✟50,680.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Just a random thread hijack, but the last few times I went to Mass all of the altar servers were adults. One of those times was in Florida, so it doesn't seem to be just the parish that I live in.

I have two devoutly Catholic friends who moved because they thought the priest in our parish was too liberal, and because there is no daily mass here.

Upvote 0

steve_bakr

Christian
Aug 3, 2011
✟22,533.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Just a random thread hijack, but the last few times I went to Mass all of the altar servers were adults. One of those times was in Florida, so it doesn't seem to be just the parish that I live in.

I have two devoutly Catholic friends who moved because they thought the priest in our parish was too liberal, and because there is no daily mass here.

The altar servers at our Mass are teenage boys.

There have been some small changes. Beginning at Advent, the Psalmist bows at the altar before and after the singing of the Psalms. The Lectors do as well. The Eucharistic Ministers no longer hold up the host, but place it directly in the hands. Only the Priest holds up the host before placing it in the hands.

Why does your parish not have daily Mass?

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟15,869.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
On a side note, our church has been integrating private confessions in more and more to their schedule and the pastor will see people by appointment as well. They also have a special service set up for preparing people for confession.

(As Lutherans have similarities)
Our acolytes (as we call them) are adults too, but that's because (I would assume since I've never been to the late service) we don't have any catechism-age children in the early service. I don't think we've ever had females, but we are very traditional liturgical so we don't have female lectors either. The acolytes don't help administer the elements, but hold a tray for those who prefer to not use the common cup. They do bow whenever approaching the altar and light/extinguish the candles before and after the service.

I think a lot depends on the size and capabilities.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ZaidaBoBaida

When do I stop being a Newbie?
Jul 17, 2012
Right Here
✟50,680.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The altar servers at our Mass are teenage boys.

There have been some small changes. Beginning at Advent, the Psalmist bows at the altar before and after the singing of the Psalms. The Lectors do as well. The Eucharistic Ministers no longer hold up the host, but place it directly in the hands. Only the Priest holds up the host before placing it in the hands.

Why does your parish not have daily Mass?

Beats me. However, I will say that it appears that there is almost something going on at the church. Maybe it's because they've got too much other stuff going on? They've got one of the biggest food pantries in the area and a bunch of other social programs they're involved in.

Since I don't go up for communion, I hadn't noticed them not lifting up the host anymore. I did, however, go to Mass the first Sunday they made the change where the congregation answers the priest when he says, "The Lord Be With You...." It was kind of fun hearing people trip up. I hated it. It's been 20 some years since I went to Catholic school, and I like it that I still knew when to stand, when to kneel, when to sit, what to say back to the priest, and when to say it.... Then, they go and change it on me. Grrrrrrr....

My parish also changed Mass time on Christmas Eve - which was Saturday last year. Normally there is a 5pm Mass on Saturday night. That is when I would usually go - or to the 8:00 am Mass on Sunday. My Quaker meeting basically doesn't meet during the last two weeks of December because everyone but me is travelling. So, I go to Mass and they went and changed it on me!

I also like going to Mass because I can go in, say my prayers, leave, and usually nobody bothers me. I HATE visiting other churches because while you're explaining that you're only visiting they're trying to fit you into a Sunday school class, get you to sign up for nursery duty, etc. It's obnoxious. I also like it that kids generally stay with their parents during Mass. I think - no I know - that there is a lot of garbage being taught in children's church.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟185,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Okay, here's a question - how come so many churches that do have daily mass only seems to have daily mass early in the morning? Why not a noon mass?

Because priest have other business to conduct during the day following morning Mass, such as, visiting the sick, meeting with the Bishop, or other parish issues.

Jim

Upvote 0

Brooklyn Knight

On a narrow road but not narrow minded
Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Because priest have other business to conduct during the day following morning Mass, such as, visiting the sick, meeting with the Bishop, or other parish issues.

That, and many people have work to go to. Even the morning masses have little people in it.

Upvote 0