Russia preparing imminent incursion into Ukraine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟756,678.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

This is so sad especially to see communities of people, who had a decent enough standard of living ( on a world scale I think) and most likely shared it’s resources to help others, now destroyed or reduced to poverty.

I have always had an interest in World War II history and had always believed it would at least not repeat itself where it happened. A major current example is the city of Kharkiv which changed hands like 3 times during WW II.

Lord, have mercy.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟436,070.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
One observation - on spelling. I am well familiar with the new idea that we should change our conventions of English spelling of well-known and long-established cities like Kiev, ostensibly because the Russians supposedly pushed that spelling on us and it somehow “oppresses” the people who live there. Only that is stupid thinking, driven by political motives. The conventions are ENGLISH, not Russian, spelling made up and admitted by our ancestors, and not Russians. (This goes for changes in modern language in general, by the way) I realize that under the influence of the mass media people tend to repeat what they hear and see, so I especially don’t blame younger people. But for older people, who knew one term or one spelling and form of a name all their lives, whether it was “sex”, or “Kiev” or “Bombay” (or “Constantinople”!) to change how they speak and write after a lifetime of established habit of convention, it shows that media influence is mightier than those lifelong habits. So, no, I’m not going to change he spelling of Kharkov, or Lvov, just because our masters command it, or the spell-checker tells me to change it, as it just did with Lvov. I value and respect the conventions established by my ancestors more than that. It has NOTHING to do with Russian aspirations and everything to do with not wanting to be a sheeple, learning to see when people are trying to manipulate me without any actual thinking going on.

Upvote 0

tapi

Apr 19, 2010
Stockholm
✟147,994.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Another UOC-MP temple ruined by Russian shelling in Bobryk, Ukraine.

Archimandrite John (Shevchenko) says that approximately half an hour after the service, a projectile hit the roof of the temple and exploded in its central part.

"Thank God no one was hurt. At this time, parishioners and children were already drinking tea in the church building nearby. The children were frightened, fell to the floor, began to cry."

upload_2022-3-6_15-30-42.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But for older people, who knew one term or one spelling and form of a name all their lives, whether it was “sex”, or “Kiev” or “Bombay” (or “Constantinople”!) to change how they speak and write after a lifetime of established habit of convention, it shows that media influence is mightier than those lifelong habits.
So, no, I’m not going to change he spelling of Kharkov, or Lvov, just because our masters command it, or the spell-checker tells me to change it, as it just did with Lvov.
:oldthumbsup: and that goes for the pronunciations, too.

By the way, the revised and more authentic pronunciations only apply where the powers-that-be decide, isn't that so? The same people aren't saying "This is your correspondent reporting from the Eiffel Tower in Pareee."

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Another UOC-MP temple ruined by Russian shelling in Bobryk, Ukraine.

Archimandrite John (Shevchenko) says that approximately half an hour after the service, a projectile hit the roof of the temple and exploded in its central part.

"Thank God no one was hurt. At this time, parishioners and children were already drinking tea in the church building nearby. The children were frightened, fell to the floor, began to cry."

View attachment 313707
Please provide a link to the source. I would like to read more about this.

Upvote 0

tapi

Apr 19, 2010
Stockholm
✟147,994.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The "funniest" (in actuality, it's rather sad) is that even the clergy and faithful of the UOC-MP are trying to persuade Russians that there are, in fact, no Nazis in Ukraine to fight, and that they are fighting the whole country now. But they choose not to believe it. For this, they will give account both in this life and the life to come, especially the promulgators of the lies, such as Kirill. And we cannot exclude even those in our midst, who work to advance lies through outlets such as Orthochristian. What good will it be to say one just followed orders, if you know you are spreading lies, while people, including children, are being killed?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jesus4Madrid

Orthodox Christian
Jul 21, 2011
✟90,072.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The "funniest" (in actuality, it's rather sad) is that even the clergy and faithful of the UOC-MP are trying to persuade Russians that there are, in fact, no Nazis in Ukraine to fight, and that they are fighting the whole country now. But they choose not to believe it. For this, they will give account both in this life and the life to come, especially the promulgators of the lies, such as Kirill.

Do you mean Metropolitan Kirill? Whatever you feelings for him, he is an Orthodox hierarch and thus he merits to be called by his proper name.

Where has Metropolitan Kirill said that there are “Nazis in Ukraine to fight”?

Upvote 0

tapi

Apr 19, 2010
Stockholm
✟147,994.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Do you mean Metropolitan Kirill? Whatever you feelings for him, he is an Orthodox hierarch and thus he merits to be called by his proper name.

Where has Metropolitan Kirill said that there are “Nazis in Ukraine to fight”?

See basically all of his sermons in the last few weeks. He is parroting Putin's narrative, which has led to mass protest in Ukraine against him (in the UOC-MP, which according to Kirill and Putin are being murdered by the so-called Nationalists/Fascists/Nazis). Today, a parish in Amsterdam also ceased his commemoration:

"Today Patriarch Kirill spoke out about the war. In a circular letter he offered a prayer for peace which places the sole responsibility for the war with foreign powers (“Rebuke the foreign nations that are longing for war and that are arming themselves against holy Rus, and overthrow their designs”). The prayer also asks to “instruct those in authority to all good things.”

We distance ourselves from Patriarch Kirill’s narrative. In the light of the above we will no longer mention the name of Patriarch Kirill in the divine services. In doing so, we align ourselves with the Orthodox clergy of Ukraine, who in ever greater numbers are ceasing to commemorate Patriarch Kirill”.

If you have any questions about this statement, please let us know at office@orthodox-amsterdam.nl"

And yes, he does remain a patriarch, for now. If Putin goes down, so goes Kirill, and unless he repents, which I genuinely pray for, he will end his life deposed and outside the Church, most likely imprisoned.

Upvote 0

Platina

Nov 3, 2017
Mechanicsburg
✟229,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The "funniest" (in actuality, it's rather sad) is that even the clergy and faithful of the UOC-MP are trying to persuade Russians that there are, in fact, no Nazis in Ukraine to fight, and that they are fighting the whole country now. But they choose not to believe it. For this, they will give account both in this life and the life to come, especially the promulgators of the lies, such as Kirill. And we cannot exclude even those in our midst, who work to advance lies through outlets such as Orthochristian. What good will it be to say one just followed orders, if you know you are spreading lies, while people, including children, are being killed?
God forgives and I forgive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tapi

Apr 19, 2010
Stockholm
✟147,994.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
God forgives and I forgive.

I was out of line. Forgive me, as well, and I beg alongside those of the UOC-MP and whole Ukraine; whatever little is possible while accounting for all the complexities of the situation, please do.

Upvote 0

Nick1000

Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
Pacific Coast - originally from Maine
✟457,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

F.E.A.R.

Emperor's Children
May 14, 2016
Warhammer 40K Universe
✟71,398.00
Country
Serbia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
See basically all of his sermons in the last few weeks. He is parroting Putin's narrative, which has led to mass protest in Ukraine against him (in the UOC-MP, which according to Kirill and Putin are being murdered by the so-called Nationalists/Fascists/Nazis). Today, a parish in Amsterdam also ceased his commemoration:

"Today Patriarch Kirill spoke out about the war. In a circular letter he offered a prayer for peace which places the sole responsibility for the war with foreign powers (“Rebuke the foreign nations that are longing for war and that are arming themselves against holy Rus, and overthrow their designs”). The prayer also asks to “instruct those in authority to all good things.”

We distance ourselves from Patriarch Kirill’s narrative. In the light of the above we will no longer mention the name of Patriarch Kirill in the divine services. In doing so, we align ourselves with the Orthodox clergy of Ukraine, who in ever greater numbers are ceasing to commemorate Patriarch Kirill”.

If you have any questions about this statement, please let us know at office@orthodox-amsterdam.nl"

And yes, he does remain a patriarch, for now. If Putin goes down, so goes Kirill, and unless he repents, which I genuinely pray for, he will end his life deposed and outside the Church, most likely imprisoned.

8 years of silence done by the neo-nazis killing Russian civilians.

War crimes committed in Donbass - Graphic Content

I don't like Patriarch Kiril, however neither him or Putin is going down. This war in Ukraine is because of USA meddling to expand NATO and murders committed 8 years by the neo-nazi military units.

So stop saying that there were no neo-nazi war crimes committed.

B3e6mNVCcAAYBBB

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Nick1000

Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
✟457,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟137,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That's your mind's perception of a Trump supporter? I did a thorough search, and I can't find where Trump ever advocated for chastity belts or any of that other stuff.
I would like to point out the unobserved use of hyperbole which clearly went over your head. I mention chastity belts to point out the extreme side of conservatism which too many Orthodox, especially seminarians, are subscribing to in reaction to how crazily liberal their surrounding society has become. The pro-life crowd has a tendency to blame women, but not place any responsibility on men; however, that is a discussion for another day and another thread.

Wow. Never heard of that. It's the total opposite at Holy Cross GO Seminary.

I think you're using hyperbole, E.C., because I don't know any people who voted for Trump that I know (some family members/ex-family members and friends) think on those subjects you mentioned as you say they do.

Don't know about the Culture Wars, but the whole world and cosmos is impacted by what His Body does, whether evil or holy. That's part of Orthodox teaching.
Thank you for catching my use of hyperbole which clearly seems to be a lost art these days :)

I mention the Culture Wars because unfortunately being in the DC area things are more political than most places. And unfortunately along with that while there has been a growth in Orthodoxy due to the pandemic, far too many in this area are converting because of culture war related things, and they don't let that baggage go. There's not much I miss about the West Coast, but the political neutrality in Orthodox parish life is one of them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would like to point out the unobserved use of hyperbole which clearly went over your head. I mention chastity belts to point out the extreme side of conservatism which too many Orthodox, especially seminarians, are subscribing to in reaction to how crazily liberal their surrounding society has become. The pro-life crowd has a tendency to blame women, but not place any responsibility on men; however, that is a discussion for another day and another thread.

Thank you for catching my use of hyperbole which clearly seems to be a lost art these days :)

I mention the Culture Wars because unfortunately being in the DC area things are more political than most places. And unfortunately along with that while there has been a growth in Orthodoxy due to the pandemic, far too many in this area are converting because of culture war related things, and they don't let that baggage go. There's not much I miss about the West Coast, but the political neutrality in Orthodox parish life is one of them.
Ah. I thought we lost a lot of Orthodox during the pandemic. I know some GOC's have lost many. In any case, thanks for the info. I didn't know about that, so I appreciate your comments here. :)

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟870,978.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Okay. :)

In the 5th century B.C. there was a rabble-rousing Athenian, a politician named Hyperbolus, who often made exaggerated promises and claims that whipped people into a frenzy. But even though it sounds appropriate, Hyperbolus' name did not play a role in the development of the modern English word hyperbole. That noun does come to us from Greek (by way of Latin), but from the Greek verb hyperballein, meaning "to exceed," not from the name of the Athenian demagogue. Hyperballeinitself was formed from hyper-, meaning "beyond," and ballein, "to throw."
iu

• Haha
Reactions: E.C.
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
8 years of silence done by the neo-nazis killing Russian civilians.

War crimes committed in Donbass - Graphic Content

I don't like Patriarch Kiril, however neither him or Putin is going down. This war in Ukraine is because of USA meddling to expand NATO and murders committed 8 years by the neo-nazi military units.

So stop saying that there were no neo-nazi war crimes committed.

B3e6mNVCcAAYBBB

Looks like a mix of AZOV and some other group(s). AZOV is a Ukrainian Nationalist group. Their emblem does have NAZI symbols on it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tapi

Apr 19, 2010
Stockholm
✟147,994.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
On March 7, 2022, two ancient churches in the Zhytomyr and Kyiv regions were destroyed, and a church and a monastery in Chernihiv were damaged by shelling caused by Russian aggression, according to the UOC's Information and Education Department.

Tonight, March 7, in the village of Vyazivka in the Zhytomyr Region, the Church of the Blessed Virgin of the Ovruch Eparchy of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, built in 1862, was destroyed.

According to the secretary of the Ovruch eparchy, deacon Serhiy Stretovych, the church was completely destroyed, only the bell tower survived. Thank God there are no human casualties. “They shot at houses, and one shell was aimed directly at the dome of the church... The fence of the church was shot with a machine gun. Thank God that no one was there, "said the rector of the church, Archpriest Petro Kotyuk.

photo_2022-03-07_10-24-29-960x425.jpg

https://video-hel3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t42.1790-2/275329264_350747416964428_7911658728556986141_n.mp4?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=985c63&efg=eyJybHIiOjU2MSwicmxhIjo1MTIsInZlbmNvZGVfdGFnIjoic3ZlX3NkIn0=&_nc_ohc=AC85cXdMrMEAX9EaEfF&rl=561&vabr=312&_nc_ht=video-hel3-1.xx&edm=AGo2L-IEAAAA&oh=00_AT-KKabidHfrPijelcBz5vIXYAzCMGvM7zq36_udzU4fEQ&oe=62263236

Upvote 0

Nick1000

Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
✟457,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single