Russia preparing imminent incursion into Ukraine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,190,731.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes. You do.
No, I honestly don't, and you just called me a liar. I understand that you are still an enquirer into Orthodoxy, but you should at the very least be striving to enter into the Orthodox phronema as we move into Lent.

Reactions: Dermoplast
Upvote 0

Nick1000

Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
Pacific Coast - originally from Maine
✟461,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Rus tries to see things from both sides and speak calmly and collectedly about it--qualities sorely missing in some here.

Let me be counted among those who would fail to speak calmly and collectedly when people are thrown into the ovens or being carpet bombed by poor misunderstood dictators who are really the victims if only properly understood in the eyes of some.

Upvote 0

Nick1000

Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
✟461,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, I honestly don't, and you just called me a liar.

Just for the record, I most definitely did not.

You said: "I fail to understand"

And I said: "Yes you do" meaning that indeed you do fail to understand. I did not say that you do understand.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟878,175.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

And I said: "Yes you do" meaning that indeed you do fail to understand. I did not say that you do understand.
FYI, I interpreted your post the same way prodromos did. Could be an honest mistake, possibly due to being taken in context of other posts of yours. And over the years I've never seen a single post of Rus's that read anything like he's a Putin apologist.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟242,169.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Than whose?

Looking at US foreign policy over a long period this is just simply not true.

Yes, the US took some terrible decisions in the years following 2001. Specifically the Iraq was very, very foolish. But that is all history.

The US never attacked and bombed a country in order to occupy it, install a dictatorship and thus to incorporate it into its sphere of influence. Which is what Russia is doing now. The US tried to turn Iraq and Afghanistan into democracies. That was foolish and naïve. And lead to civil war in Iraq. But it not threatening and brutal.
You have a rather "rose-colored glasses" view or may just be uninformed. Our foreign policy has been horrible since JFK's time. Gulf of Tonkin, the Vietnam War, overthrowing the leader of Iran and putting in a dictator that was a US puppet that caused much suffering for the Iranian people, regime-change toppling of the president of Chile and inserting a horrible puppet leader there, CIA training the Mujahideen (aka bin Laden and his group that became Al Qaeda later on), the Afghanistan mess that showed the generals were even asking "What are we doing here?", the Iraq invasion, the destruction of Libya, the coup in Honduras, the coup in Ukraine, Syria meddling and arming terrorists to try and topple Assad, the Surveillance state. Those are the ones I am aware of off the top of my head. Really, there's plenty wrong our leaders and intel caused over the decades.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,190,731.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

My response was a polite way of saying that Rus has never been an apologist for Putin. I apologise for misreading your post, however it was not hard to do since you have been on the offensive in this thread from the get go.

• Friendly
Reactions: rusmeister
Upvote 0

Platina

Nov 3, 2017
Mechanicsburg
✟229,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Let me be counted among those who would fail to speak calmly and collectedly when people are thrown into the ovens or being carpet bombed by poor misunderstood dictators who are really the victims if only properly understood in the eyes of some.
No one here is saying that. You'd realize that if you tried to understand the people you're speaking to.

Upvote 0

Platina

Nov 3, 2017
Mechanicsburg
✟229,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Good to see a report, although it is sad (and disingenuous, I dare say, for you surely know better) that Kirill's role in the case at hand is not properly addressed but rather the whole thing is at the outset pretty much chalked up to "aggression of Ukrainian nationalists", without even mentioning the root cause -- the Russian invasion, of any possible current tensions. I say this without malice; the report itself is a commendable thing considering that the concept of "free press" does not exactly exist in Russia or even the Russian Church.
Well, I wouldn't say Patriarch Kirill's role isn't properly addressed - there's the sizable quote from Metropolitan Evlogy of Sumy all about Patriarch Kirill. We didn't talk so much about the invasion itself because that doesn't seem to be the reason they've stopped commemorating - they took this step specifically because of how Patriarch Kirill responded.

As for your point about chalking it up to nationalists... I agree with you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tapi

Apr 19, 2010
Stockholm
✟148,194.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Make no mistake, should the Russian government somehow collapse, Kirill will be jailed and anathematized for his support of the evils of the regime.

Metropolitan Kliment of Crimea addressed the mothers of Russia with powerful words.

"I want to address the mothers of Russia. Your children, who you have loved, who have raised, in whom you have anchored your hopes, have turned into butchers. War is happening in Ukraine. Your children are shooting at peaceful civilians. They are killing women and children."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

VolRaider

Dec 18, 2010
Athens, TN
✟17,988.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Really! Or is Russia just trying to stop a potential invasion on THEIR doorstep now or in the future by forces that go around the world destabilising countries and causing untold numbers of death, suffering and misery?

Peace be to all those in the Body of Christ.
In that case, I think the United States should stop a potential invasion from Communist countries by seizing control of Cuba and Venezuela. After all, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. :)

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,190,731.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In that case, I think the United States should stop a potential invasion from Communist countries by seizing control of Cuba and Venezuela. After all, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. :)
So the best way to put out a fire is to throw fuel on?

Upvote 0

Nick1000

Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
✟461,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

What gets lost in the Cuba analogy that the Putin apologists like to use is that - say what we will- the Americans and the Soviets did resolve it through backchannel concessions. The Soviets backed down on the missiles in Cuba and the Americans removed some missiles from Turkey. It was never about occupying or owning Cuba for either the Americans or the Soviets so the parties were able to resolve it.

But such negotiations are not possible with the Russians because it is about Ukraine. Nato can do this or that, or Nato can fall off the earth tomorrow. Either way, Putin wants Ukraine. It is about Ukraine and countries all the way to Finland or beyond- and committing war crimes and atricities every step of the way as Putin "liberates" all of those countries.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

F.E.A.R.

Emperor's Children
May 14, 2016
Warhammer 40K Universe
✟71,398.00
Country
Serbia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
My impression is that the West has deliberately thrown the Ukraine under the bus.
It's not your impression, it's reality. The USA should not have stretched near the Russian borders and make Ukraine it's own puppet. Putin and the Russian government have said many times since 2008 to back off from the Russian borders. The USA and EU did not respect that. This conflict in Ukraine started in 2014 backed by the EU and USA.

Here's a video explaining the situation, why this is happening. This is the best accurate video (non-propagandist) I've seen thus far.

The only reason "civilians" are dying is because the USA and EU are supporting them with weapons and on the order of Zelensky and the neo nazi Azov battalion ordinary men are getting armed to put a fight against the soldiers. Men aged 16-60 cannot leave Ukraine. Zelensky should be condemned for what he is doing and playing the so called "hero".

Upvote 0

Nick1000

Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
✟461,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's not your impression, it's reality. The USA should not have stretched near the Russian borders and make Ukraine it's own puppet. Putin and the Russian government have said many times since 2008 to back off from the Russian borders. The USA and EU did not respect that. This conflict in Ukraine started in 2014 backed by the EU and USA.

Here's a video explaining the situation, why this is happening. This is the best accurate video (non-propagandist) I've seen thus far.

The only reason "civilians" are dying is because the USA and EU are supporting them with weapons and on the order of Zelensky and the neo nazi Azov battalion ordinary men are getting armed to put a fight against the soldiers. Men aged 16-60 cannot leave Ukraine. Zelensky should be condemned for what he is doing and playing the so called "hero".

Those comments are right out of the Putin playbook.

Ukraine's problems are all a result of the American's, or so the argument goes. Vlad is the victim here and is actually liberating the Ukrainians. The Ukrainians should be thanking him for liberating them, but we don't see that do we?

Ukraine is not allowed to be pro-western so close to the border of Russia, because that will make Putin mad. And because Ukraine would not marry Russia as Putin demanded he wants to kill them and is doing that right as we speak.

War criminal.

• Agree
Reactions: Radicchio
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟247,357.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My impression is that the West has deliberately thrown the Ukraine under the bus.

Certainly the war in the Ukraine has taken the pressure off some in the West. Prime Minister Johnson of England for example. Let's not forget he's the subject of a criminal investigation into breaking covid rules he himself wrote but claimed ignorance of. Now he's prancing about on the world stage doing his thing, making a change from doing the lockdown conga with a guy wrapped in tinsel! Kind regards to you :)

• Agree
Reactions: rusmeister
Upvote 0

F.E.A.R.

Emperor's Children
May 14, 2016
Warhammer 40K Universe
✟71,398.00
Country
Serbia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Those comments are right out of the Putin playbook.

Ukraine's problems are all a result of the American's, or so the argument goes. Vlad is the victim here and is actually liberating the Ukrainians. The Ukrainians should be thanking him for liberating them, but we don't see that do we?

Ukraine is not allowed to be pro-western so close to the border of Russia, because that will make Putin mad. And because Ukraine would not marry Russia as Putin demanded he wants to kill them and is doing that right as we speak.

War criminal.
Sure they are just as the comments from the Westerners.

Yes Ukraine's problems are exactly because of American and EU meddling. So was the fall of Yugoslavia and the bombing of Serbia and making Kosovo a Republic. Oh yeah here's a complete list of US meddling, overthrowing regimes and starting wars in the name of "democracy".

U2a3C5j-zvtjmcp_h-g9HNBppRxlsXeAg-X-E19ZBiA0hDQGI8QzB5uX4aOusWjDRhhrc1fQFR4SKIvmHYdG6vFgBPK6hfTL5EYJq7Y

Most of the Ukrainians are welcoming the Russian soldiers, especially those on the East.
Melitopol - Russian forces distributing humanitarian aid and food to civilians

Yes Ukraine IS NOT ALLOWED to be Pro-Western. Why should it be? Has any good ever came out of a country that's been Pro-Western? Ukraine should be neutral. No NATO on the Russian border. This was made clear a long time ago. Just like the US law that says "You step on my territory you're dead".

Putin's target is to put down the USA puppet regime in Ukraine installed in 2014, that's been encouraging neo-nazi movements and discriminating and killing the Russian population that's been there for centuries. Putin and Russia do not target the ordinary people, opposed to your lies and that of the media.

Putin isn't the "war criminal" in this conflict. The USA has always been the war criminal, warmonger since 1945 on wards. Dropped 2 nukes on Japan and never apologized to this day. Made Japan a puppet of its own. The bomb and napalm droppings on Vietnam. The overthrowing of the Iranian Shah in 1967 and installing the Islamic caliphate. Overthrowing Sadam Husein and Gadafi because they were "evil dictators" at the cost of thousands of innocent lives, in the name of "freedom, justice and democracy".

You have 0 knowledge of geopolitics and history.

Upvote 0

Nick1000

Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
✟461,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You have 0 knowledge of geopolitics and history.

Tell the Ukranians they have no knowledge of the history and geopolitics of their region and we shall see how it goes.

They have a good window into both Russian and Ukrainian matters, life, history, and can decide for themselves whether the west is the root cause of all their problems or not, and whether they prefer a pro-western or a pro-Russian life.

Oh wait. Actually they can't decide for themselves. Putin tells them what the right answer is and what they think.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.