✟9,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are there any other runners around?
I just signed up for a Half-Marathon, and I'm wondering what's the best way to train.
I can't run much further than 4 or 5 miles. And I can't run any other time except in the morning before breakfast or else my stomach will hurt. But running on empty is why I can't go longer. Any suggestions?

Also, if there's anyone that ran a marathon, half-marathon, or just likes to run that can give me pointers, that would be really helpful. :)

Kixa

:Possession of God:
Jan 8, 2010
New Jersey
✟9,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yea, recently I've been running first thing in the morning after eating a banana or a handfull of dry cerial, but I still get really hungry; but if I eat more my stomach hurts or I'll get cramps. :/
I've also tried juice or lots of water. (Well, I drink lots of water anyway.)
I'm probably just too wimpy to just endure/ignore the discomfort.

Upvote 0

ProAntiRevolution

Mar 27, 2010
✟2,264.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
99% of distance running is learning to fight the pain. You should run after you've given your meal a chance to digest. Running with food in your stomach is robbing your muscles of blood that supply the oxygen they need to continue functioning. If you're cramping it's because you need to drink more water. WATER only, do not drink fruit juices or other liquids that still require some digestion.

After that just set yourself on a training schedule. If you can run 5 miles push youself to run that to maximum intensity, and then add half a mile to it. Repeat until your hitting your time and distance goals.

You should also include a lot of interval training in your work outs. This will help you tolerate increases and decreases in heart rate during a race by training for active recovery.

Upvote 0

pinkstars86

May 5, 2010
Kentucky
✟15,272.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
99% of distance running is learning to fight the pain.

Ugh no kidding. I've been running about a year after being anti-running the first 23 years of my life lol. I have learned now that it's mostly mental. It's so hard to push yourself sometimes when your stomach hurts, or you have a side stitch or you feel out of breathe. It's hard but just keep reminding yourself that you can do it. Picture yourself running that half and pushing yourself HARD. Like someone else said, run to your max and then (I personally would do 1/4) but maybe a 1/2 mile further until you feel okay with that and just keep adding on. On coolrunning.com they have training schedules and I think runnersworld.com has a way to put in the race length as well as the time you hope to do it in and they will configure a schedule for you based on that.

I run about 20 miles per week, give or take, and 4 is my max right now at a time so we are kind of in the same boat. I'd like to do a half by the late summer/early fall.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

Kixa

:Possession of God:
Jan 8, 2010
New Jersey
✟9,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
On coolrunning.com they have training schedules and I think runnersworld.com has a way to put in the race length as well as the time you hope to do it in and they will configure a schedule for you based on that.

I've gotten a running schedule from runnersworld.com. My favorite though is mapmyrun.com. It's the only way I know how far I'm running. =)

Upvote 0