Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
In the 1960s my mother studied to be a nurse, and she told me that they were taught how to baptize a patient if requested. Apparently more people from that era felt that baptism was an essential ingredient of salvation. Modern Christianity seems to emphasize the sinner's prayer over baptism.

Is this a real change in Christianity? Evangelical churches have grown into the dominant denomination during this time period, so I wondered if that might be a factor in the change I perceive?

MishSill

Jun 10, 2015
New South Wales, Australia
✟7,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In the 1960s my mother studied to be a nurse, and she told me that they were taught how to baptize a patient if requested. Apparently more people from that era felt that baptism was an essential ingredient of salvation. Modern Christianity seems to emphasize the sinner's prayer over baptism.

Is this a real change in Christianity? Evangelical churches have grown into the dominant denomination during this time period, so I wondered if that might be a factor in the change I perceive?

Hi Cloudy,

Thought I would quote this scripture.

Acts 2:36-38New King James Version (NKJV)
36 “Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ.”

37 Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Men and brethren, what shall we do?”

38 Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."

I was baptised about 6 months after I received Christ into my life. I knew bapitsm was an important decision to make. It was a case of no turning back for me. I left a lot behind me the day I got baptised.

I do think that baptism is very important in the life of the believer... the cross before me the world behind me.

I think if someone is on their death bed and they are only just receiving Christ they have not necessarily chosen to make that commitment.

I believe though that God would still accept a person receiving Christ with their dying breath.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It seems to me that the early Christians had a slightly different view of baptism. Some martyrs were catechumens who had not yet been baptized, and the Church was concerned about their fate after death. As a result they developed the idea of "baptism of blood"/"baptism of desire" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baptism_of_desire ).

In my experience watching televangelists, the emphasis seems to be solely on the sinner's prayer. This seems strange when some of the early divisions between Protestants concerned full immersion or sprinkling, etc. Now baptism seems to be a formality. (Obviously it's different for each person though.)
Similarly, those who die as martyrs in a persecution of Christians are also judged by Roman Catholicism to have acquired the benefits of baptism without actually undergoing the ritual; this is the "baptism of blood" (baptismum sanguinis) (ss. 1258). Because the Catholic Church practices infant baptism, these issues seldom arise except for adult converts to Catholicism who were not baptized as children. The Catholic Church officially professes uncertainty about the fate in the afterlife of infants who die before baptism, observing that "the Church can only entrust them to the mercy of God" (ss. 1261).

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I was baptised about 6 months after I received Christ into my life. I knew bapitsm was an important decision to make. It was a case of no turning back for me. I left a lot behind me the day I got baptised.

I do think that baptism is very important in the life of the believer... the cross before me the world behind me.

I think if someone is on their death bed and they are only just receiving Christ they have not necessarily chosen to make that commitment.

I believe though that God would still accept a person receiving Christ with their dying breath.

That seems closer to the understanding of early Christians. I have read that Emperor Constantine and many Christians of his era went so far as to delay baptism until their death. They believed that they would be held responsible for every sin AFTER baptism and knew this would be a difficult path.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

That would be the big factor of what you're seeing. Bill Bright and Billy Sunday were instrumental in introducing ideas like "The Four Spiritual Laws" and the "Sinner's Prayer" while Billy Graham's crusades turned the 19th century idea of the "Anxious Bench" (one of the "New Measures" introduced by Charles Finney and the Revivalist tradition) into a staple of the Neo-Evangelical movement. Neo-Evangelicalism is, today, just known as Evangelicalism. As such as Evangelicalism grew through the influence of politics (e.g. Francis Schaeffer and the rise of the Religious Right and Moral Majority) and the populist Jesus People movement which developed into the thriving Evangelical subculture of the 1980s and 90s (including the innovation of Contemporary Christian Music or CCM); along with various Fundamentalist streams, in particular those which subscribed to Dispensationalism which also grew in popularity through books and media in the 80s and 90s (Hal Lindsay's The Late Great Planet Earth and the insane popularity of Tim LaHaye's Left Behind series); this has all played a role in what you're seeing.

However, for those of us still in traditional Christian churches (Lutherans, Catholics, Orthodox, Anglicans, Presbyterians, Methodists, etc) Baptism remains a fundamental part of our identity as Christians and our soteriology.

Here is how the Large Catechism (one of the confessional texts in the Lutheran Book of Concord) puts it:

"In these words you must note, in the first place, that here stand God's commandment and institution, lest we doubt that Baptism is divine, not devised nor invented by men. For as truly as I can say, No man has spun the Ten Commandments, the Creed, and the Lord's Prayer out of his head, but they are revealed and given by God Himself, so also I can boast that Baptism is no human trifle, but instituted by God Himself, moreover, that it is most solemnly and strictly commanded that we must be baptized or we cannot be saved, lest any one regard it as a trifling matter, like putting on a new red coat. For it is of the greatest importance that we esteem Baptism excellent, glorious, and exalted, for which we contend and fight chiefly, because the world is now so full of sects clamoring that Baptism is an external thing, and that external things are of no benefit. But let it be ever so much an external thing, here stand God's Word and command which institute, establish, and confirm Baptism. But what God institutes and commands cannot be a vain, but must be a most precious thing, though in appearance it were of less value than a straw. If hitherto people could consider it a great thing when the Pope with his letters and bulls dispensed indulgences and confirmed altars and churches, solely because of the letters and seals, we ought to esteem Baptism much more highly and more precious, because God has commanded it, and, besides, it is performed in His name. For these are the words, Go ye, baptize; however, not in your name, but in the name of God."

In brief, the Small Catechism puts it this way:

"IV. The Sacrament of Holy Baptism

As the head of the family should teach it in a simple way to his household.

First.

What is Baptism?--Answer.

Baptism is not simple water only, but it is the water comprehended in God's command and connected with God's Word.

Which is that word of God?--Answer.

Christ, our Lord, says in the last chapter of Matthew: Go ye into all the world and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.

Secondly.

What does Baptism give or profit?--Answer.

It works forgiveness of sins, delivers from death and the devil, and gives eternal salvation to all who believe this, as the words and promises of God declare.

Which are such words and promises of God? Answer.

Christ, our Lord, says in the last chapter of Mark: He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Thirdly.

How can water do such great things?--Answer.

It is not the water indeed that does them, but the word of God which is in and with the water, and faith, which trusts such word of God in the water. For without the word of God the water is simple water and no baptism. But with the word of God it is a baptism, that is, a gracious water of life and a washing of regeneration in the Holy Ghost, as St. Paul says, Titus, chapter three: By the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Ghost, which He shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ, our Savior, that, being justified by His grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life. This is a faithful saying.

Fourthly.

What does such baptizing with water signify?--Answer.

It signifies that the old Adam in us should, by daily contrition and repentance, be drowned and die with all sins and evil lusts, and, again, a new man daily come forth and arise; who shall live before God in righteousness and purity forever.

Where is this written?--Answer.

St. Paul says Romans, chapter 6: We are buried with Christ by Baptism into death, that, like as He was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
"

For Lutherans Baptism is nothing short of the very Means by which God grants new birth, new life, to sinners by which to join them to Jesus Christ in His death and resurrection, thereby granting them forgiveness of all their sins, imparting to them the Holy Spirit and the true righteousness of Jesus Christ by which they are freely justified before God and promised eternal and everlasting life, resurrection from the dead, world without end. Baptism is therefore the very work of God, not man, it is grace, not works. This is also why we baptize infants and small children, because salvation is the gracious work of God, not ourselves, God works the work upon us by His Word and Sacraments apart from ourselves.

Does this mean that an unbaptized person can't be saved? No. We don't put limits on God's abilities and grace; for we see in the Gospel of St. Luke that Jesus gave His Word to the thief, "Today you will be with Me in Paradise." this same Word--the promise of God--is the Word we find in Baptism, this is the Word joined to the water that makes Baptism what it is; and therefore doing what it promises. Jesus Christ tells us in Baptism, "You are Mine, you will be with Me, forever." And He keeps His promises.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
That seems closer to the understanding of early Christians. I have read that Emperor Constantine and many Christians of his era went so far as to delay baptism until their death. They believed that they would be held responsible for every sin AFTER baptism and knew this would be a difficult path.

There were some odd ideas for a while. For example Tertullian of Carthage on his treatise on Baptism considers it dangerous to baptize infants and small children, not because infants can't be baptized (he recognizes that this is the standard practice of the Church) but because he considered it nearly impossible, if one sinned after baptism, to be saved and thus suggests that one should delay their baptism for as long as possible. This led to many postponing their baptism until old age or when nearing death.

Tertullian it should be noted ended up joining a highly legalistic, apocalyptic sect known as Montanism. There is some who suggest that Tertullian eventually left the Montanists, but what is clear is that sometime after Tertullian there were a number of Christians in North Africa who identified themselves with Tertullian (the Tertullianists) and were in some way related to or influential to the rise of the Novationist sect (who themselves were influential on the later Donatist sect). A common idea among all these groups was a rigid emphasis on personal holiness and piety, that the efficacy of the Sacraments depended on the piety of the officiator, etc. All were condemned as heretics, the Sacraments are not efficacious based on the personal piety of the priest who administers and officiates, but on the grace and promise of God. This largely cleared up the matter as far as orthodox Christians are concerned: God is the One who acts in the Sacraments and makes them what they are, not the individual whose voice speaks the words or whose hands perform the actions.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟825,826.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Christian water baptism as seen in scripture: Is always adult (there are only two examples that “might include infants” but nothing definite, all the others are adult believers) water immersion to be a physical outward representation of what had or is happening spiritually in the person being baptized. It is mainly to help the individual being baptized to better grasp what is going on, but it can “witness” to others observing the baptism. It has the elements of going down under the water (burying the old man), placing your dependence in another; the person baptizing you (surrendering your life to God), being washed (having your sins washed away), rising out of the water (rising from the dead), and stepping forth out onto the earth (a new person). The person is walking out into the hugs of his new family. It is also a sign of your humility, since it is a humbling act anyone can simple allow someone to do it to them (so not a work) and since humility has been shown in the accept of charity (God’s free gift of undeserving forgiveness) it should just support and add to the memory of that acceptance. To refuse Christian water baptism when it is readily available might mean you are not ready to handle other responsibility like having the indwelling Holy Spirit.

The Western “Christian” Churches are all over the board, but other countries experiencing sever persecution of Christians (Underground churches: China, Southeast Asia, some of India, Iran) are for as far as I can see consistently requiring adult believer immersion baptism. These churches are growing rapidly (estimated at 100 million in China).

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Baptism is the sign of a "quickened" spirit (awakened to God) to know God and honor Him (see all Bible references regarding Baptism); and one is called in Acts 2:38 to take a stand with the Lord Jesus against the unbelieving world. That verse properly should have been translated as "unto" and not "into" Christ (see correction in margins of good quality KJV Bibles).

Note also that infant baptism is not the same as household baptism by definition. Baptizing all infants in not of God, but faithful saints may baptize their children with the promise to raise them for the Lord and teach them the truth of redemption in Christ.

Write me if you wish to see ministry papers on this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
A common idea among all these groups was a rigid emphasis on personal holiness and piety, that the efficacy of the Sacraments depended on the piety of the officiator, etc. All were condemned as heretics, the Sacraments are not efficacious based on the personal piety of the priest who administers and officiates, but on the grace and promise of God. This largely cleared up the matter as far as orthodox Christians are concerned: God is the One who acts in the Sacraments and makes them what they are, not the individual whose voice speaks the words or whose hands perform the actions.

I have heard that any Christian can baptize, but what about non-Christians? What if your priest is secretly an atheist?

Another issue is chrism. My understanding is that originally part of baptism required a bishop to lay hands so the person could receive the Holy Spirit. When the logistics became impossible, they began transforming oil into chrism each year and distributing some chrism to each priest. The chrism would substitute for a bishop so that the person could receive the Holy Spirit. I'm not sure which denominations use chrism. (Correct me if I have my facts scrambled.)

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Note also that infant baptism is not the same as household baptism by definition. Baptizing all infants in not of God, but faithful saints may baptize their children with the promise to raise them for the Lord and teach them the truth of redemption in Christ.

Can you or somebody else go into more detail on the infant baptism vs. household baptism? That is interesting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Christian water baptism as seen in scripture: Is always adult (there are only two examples that “might include infants” but nothing definite, all the others are adult believers) water immersion to be a physical outward representation of what had or is happening spiritually in the person being baptized. It is mainly to help the individual being baptized to better grasp what is going on, but it can “witness” to others observing the baptism. It has the elements of going down under the water (burying the old man), placing your dependence in another; the person baptizing you (surrendering your life to God), being washed (having your sins washed away), rising out of the water (rising from the dead), and stepping forth out onto the earth (a new person). The person is walking out into the hugs of his new family. It is also a sign of your humility, since it is a humbling act anyone can simple allow someone to do it to them (so not a work) and since humility has been shown in the accept of charity (God’s free gift of undeserving forgiveness) it should just support and add to the memory of that acceptance. To refuse Christian water baptism when it is readily available might mean you are not ready to handle other responsibility like having the indwelling Holy Spirit.

The Western “Christian” Churches are all over the board, but other countries experiencing sever persecution of Christians (Underground churches: China, Southeast Asia, some of India, Iran) are for as far as I can see consistently requiring adult believer immersion baptism. These churches are growing rapidly (estimated at 100 million in China).

Thanks, that is a good description. I like the thing about humbling. I noticed that when I was baptized as an adult. (I was baptized as an infant and twice as an adult.)

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Apparently more people from that era felt that baptism was an essential ingredient of salvation. Modern Christianity seems to emphasize the sinner's prayer over baptism.
Water baptism does not save, but those who are saved are commanded to be baptized, and in Scripture there was no delay whatsoever between salvation and baptism. Because of the wording of certain passage in the NT it appears as though baptism is necessary for salvation (Mk 16:16), but that is not the full teaching of Scripture. Here is how a person is saved (Rom 10:8-13). This does not nullify baptism, which follows salvation:

8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.
13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Upvote 0

Tina W

Dec 24, 2014
Arizona, USA
✟20,523.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I think baptism is very important, even Jesus the Son of God was baptized, that should tell you something. It must be important if even God Himself got baptized. :) The only exception I can think of is someone accepting God into their heart on their dying bed with no time to be baptized.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Note that all the baptism of John --the Baptist, was symbolic to humble one before God and wash away the natural ways of man to live for God (Jesus had not yet come). Household baptism speaks of the true Christian household, where the parents in effect promise to do their best to raise their child for God ---it is optional. Jesus was baptized by John as an example to all to be conformed to God, and put on righteousness in their walk (see Matt. 3:13-15). Certainly Jesus did not need to put on righteousness; and if anyone should refuse to be baptized they are saying they refuse to bow to God and will not take that step to seek the righteous path of God.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I have heard that any Christian can baptize, but what about non-Christians? What if your priest is secretly an atheist?

For most traditional Christians even if Richard Dawkins or Sam Harris were to administer baptism it would be a valid baptism.

While that would be a pretty bizarre scenario it would be considered completely valid as the efficacy of baptism is not based on the one who performs the rite but on the promise of God's Word that is attached to Baptism.

Another issue is chrism. My understanding is that originally part of baptism required a bishop to lay hands so the person could receive the Holy Spirit. When the logistics became impossible, they began transforming oil into chrism each year and distributing some chrism to each priest. The chrism would substitute for a bishop so that the person could receive the Holy Spirit. I'm not sure which denominations use chrism. (Correct me if I have my facts scrambled.)

This is one of the chief differences between East and West. In the West it became the tradition that only a bishop could chrismate, as such there could be a long period of time between baptism and chrismation. What this evolved into was the Western rite of Confirmation. In the East this was never an issue as a priest could chrismate, as such Chrismation and Baptism have continued to go hand-in-hand.

In Lutheranism we have retained Confirmation as a churchly rite, but do not consider it a Sacrament as Roman Catholicism does. But we do apply chrism to the baptized; as such Chrismation is more-or-less an inseparable part of Baptism. Confirmation may or may not involve chrism oil, since Confirmation isn't a Sacrament but really just a churchly rite, something we've retained from our Western heritage which can be beneficial to good order in the Church--namely Confirmation presents an opportunity for a person to publicly confess their faith. What non-Sacramental churches usually interpret Baptism as meaning--a public declaration of faith (though we'd point out that such an idea is no where to be found in Scripture or the history of the faith)--is the purpose of Confirmation.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I read that originally most baptisms happened on Easter, and Lent was for the parish to give their spiritual and emotional support to the catechumens preparing for baptism on Easter. The catechumens fasted for three days before baptism, and the whole parish walked to the nearest river for the baptisms. So baptism was originally a big part of Easter.

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I read that originally most baptisms happened on Easter, and Lent was for the parish to give their spiritual and emotional support to the catechumens preparing for baptism on Easter. The catechumens fasted for three days before baptism, and the whole parish walked to the nearest river for the baptisms. So baptism was originally a big part of Easter.

Some helpful observations there...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Easter is still when most baptisms are done in traditional churches. Incorporating a baptism into the service on a major feast day such as Easter, Pentecost, or Epiphany helps attach more significance to the event; during the celebration of the resurrection, or the outpouring of the Spirit, or Christ's baptism is symbolically edifying. And because baptism is a joyous occasion usually they aren't done during the more somber parts of the church year. As such this is really just all pleasant tradition--one can of course be baptized at any time and anywhere (and technically by anyone)--but it is considered preferable to baptize on certain days/times and in the presence of the entire congregation so that it can be a great big celebratory event; and having a pastor baptize of course helps with good order--as that is his vocation as minister of Word and Sacrament for the common good of the Church.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0