Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Go to the website you linked. They link the actual poll. Look at Dem party ID polling.
Looking at just the Democratic party ID responders isn't the proper way to look at it (given that democrats aren't the only ones who vote in a general election...in some states, they're not even the only ones who vote in the democratic primaries). Which is why every major publication (even ones that aren't terribly friendly to RFK) are reporting on it from the context of across-the-board net favorability.

RJK Jr.
1688754325556.png

Biden
1688754550266.png

While both RFK and Biden have positive favorability scores (just among people identifying as democrats), Biden takes a big hit with independents.

• Informative
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟265,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Looking at just the Democratic party ID responders isn't the proper way to look at it (given that democrats aren't the only ones who vote in a general election...in some states, they're not even the only ones who vote in the democratic primaries). Which is why every major publication (even ones that aren't terribly friendly to RFK) are reporting on it from the context of across-the-board net favorability.

RJK Jr.
View attachment 333103

Biden
View attachment 333105

While both RFK and Biden have positive favorability scores (just among people identifying as democrats), Biden takes a big hit with independents.

Where exactly do independents fit into your theory that anti-vaccine is more of a Democratic stance now than it was in 2020?

Also, I think you are way over playing the shift happening toward Democrats. The Republicans still are holding tight onto the anti-vaccine stance on Wisconsin Wisconsin Republicans block meningitis vaccine requirement for students

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Where exactly do independents fit into your theory that anti-vaccine is more of a Democratic stance now than it was in 2020?

Also, I think you are way over playing the shift happening toward Democrats. The Republicans still are holding tight onto the anti-vaccine stance on Wisconsin Wisconsin Republicans block meningitis vaccine requirement for students
To clarify, I don't think "anti-vaxx" is a democratic or republican stance... I just think it's one that's not terribly important or a disqualifier like it was from 2020 to early 2022.

Prior to that, anti-vaxxers were evenly distributed between the sides with both sides have their share of the gullible people (like what exists for people who buy into things like chiropractic, homeopathy, or essential oils)

My comments about how Biden is taking a hit with regards to independents didn't have anything specifically to do with vaccines.

If I had a theory as to why that's the case for him now (despite independents being the thing that clinched him the victory in 2020), it's a little bit of buyer's remorse or having a "that's not as advertised!" kind of vibe.

The big appeal to independents was that he was the return to normalcy and that he would govern moderately. It became pretty clear 6-12 months in that wasn't going to be the case.

That's basically my objections. I voted for him for those reasons. He was pitched as the moderate, I knew had a track record of not being terribly far left, and had a good working relationship with a lot of people from the other side during his time in the senate. I didn't want to see another Trump term, but I certainly wasn't thrilled about seeing a far-left candidate win either.

Given the choice of "You can pick far-left, far-right, or you can stay home on election day" , I'll stay home.

Given the choice of "You can pick between far-right, or someone who's just a touch left of center", I'll do the latter.

However, many of us independent/moderate types saw it as a bit of a bait & switch.

And I'd be just as irritated if the other side pulled that as well. If Chris Sununu (a moderate republican) ran, I'd have a certain level of interest based on his rhetoric and track record up till now. However, if I voted for him, and 6 months in, he had filled his administration with people who sound a lot like Ted Cruz and was even making some of those talking points himself, I'd be annoyed and have no interest in voting for him again.

• Agree
Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟265,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
To clarify, I don't think "anti-vaxx" is a democratic or republican stance... I just think it's one that's not terribly important or a disqualifier like it was from 2020 to early 2022.

Prior to that, anti-vaxxers were evenly distributed between the sides with both sides have their share of the gullible people (like what exists for people who buy into things like chiropractic, homeopathy, or essential oils)

My comments about how Biden is taking a hit with regards to independents didn't have anything specifically to do with vaccines.

If I had a theory as to why that's the case for him now (despite independents being the thing that clinched him the victory in 2020), it's a little bit of buyer's remorse or having a "that's not as advertised!" kind of vibe.

The big appeal to independents was that he was the return to normalcy and that he would govern moderately. It became pretty clear 6-12 months in that wasn't going to be the case.

That's basically my objections. I voted for him for those reasons. He was pitched as the moderate, I knew had a track record of not being terribly far left, and had a good working relationship with a lot of people from the other side during his time in the senate. I didn't want to see another Trump term, but I certainly wasn't thrilled about seeing a far-left candidate win either.

Given the choice of "You can pick far-left, far-right, or you can stay home on election day" , I'll stay home.

Given the choice of "You can pick between far-right, or someone who's just a touch left of center", I'll do the latter.

However, many of us independent/moderate types saw it as a bit of a bait & switch.

And I'd be just as irritated if the other side pulled that as well. If Chris Sununu (a moderate republican) ran, I'd have a certain level of interest based on his rhetoric and track record up till now. However, if I voted for him, and 6 months in, he had filled his administration with people who sound a lot like Ted Cruz and was even making some of those talking points himself, I'd be annoyed and have no interest in voting for him again.

I listened to his interview on the New Yorker Radio Hour. I left with a dimmer view of him than I entered with. I understand wanting someone other than Biden, I do as well. But I feel RFK Jr. is a candidate put forth by someone who thought the only reason Tulsi Gabbard failed in the 2020 Democratic primary was because she lacked name recognition.

Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
On a perfectly petty level: Can you imagine listening to RFKJ's voice for 4 or 8 years?
All his odd vaccine theories aside, I do feel bad for that vocal chord condition he developed.

He actually used to be a very good public speaker. (despite the substance lacking on certain topics obviously)

And I was always fan of this comedy bit he did with one of my favorite 80's SNL characters "Nathan Thurm" (played by martin short)

(his voice was already going bad during this one)

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

This is exactly why Biden won in 2020. He got the swing vote(moderates, independents, conservative Democrats, etc.voted for him.)

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

RFK Jr.’s secret fundraising success: Republicans

A POLITICO analysis shows donor overlap with DeSantis and Trump supporters.

In absolutely unrelated news...
It would seem as if they're running a variation of the Democrats' playbook if that's what they're doing...

Democrats did fund extreme republicans in certain cases with the hopes that the "Wackiest guy will be the easiest for us to beat" (sometimes it panned out, other times it backfired).

If what this article is saying is true, it sounds like Republicans may be trying something sort of in the same ballpark by backing a guy who has the potential to either a) split the vote, or b) comes across as more moderate to make Joe look more "radically left".

Or, the other potential theory could be that if they can get enough Democrats to get on board with RFK, those democrats will become jaded when he doesn't get the party nod, and stay home on election day (or vote for the other team) like a large number of "Bernie fans" did in 2016.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums