Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
NEW YORK — Ringo Starr is known for being the amiable Beatle, but the rock star showed his tough side Tuesday when he walked off the set of "Live With Regis and Kelly" rather than cut short one of his songs.

Starr, who is promoting his new album, "Liverpool 8," planned to perform the title song with fellow rocker Dave Stewart. However, due to miscommunication between his publicist, Elizabeth Freund, and the musical director, Starr didn't realize the performance had to be 2 1/2 minutes or less, Freund told The Associated Press.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,324685,00.html

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I'm a star damn it. How dare they continue the show as they want, when I could be singing to my adoring fans.
Someone needs to get some bigger britches before he
is incontinent in them, because he is obviously to big for the ones he has.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Imagine holding a Beatle to two and half minutes.
It would take that long to get his ego on stage.:D

If they had cut him down without warning, I could see the outrage, but this was the amount of time they had him scheduled for.

Imagine the gall, to think just because your name is on the title of the show, they get to make the rules. I mean really.

Upvote 0

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
After reading the article it's pretty clear that there were some miscommunication. From Ringo's viewpoint the restriction was last minute and he apparently tried to cut the length of the song (no easy feat) but was unable to meet the show's requirement.

IMO, the requirement is ridiculously short. The fact is that Ringo was willing to cut short the interview portion, but either the producers are grossly incompetent or Regis and Kelly are such narcissists that they need that extra talk time.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah. I couldn't stay on that set a moment longer.

I'm kidding.

Trust an expert with an encyclopedic knowledge of The Beatles: Ringo has one of the smallest egos of the four.

From the way I heard it, this wasn't an ego thing at all. It was a matter of Ringo being forced to cut a four minute song into two minutes or less. It's very hard to condense a song like that, and it's frustrating to do so when that's the reason why you were on the show in the first place: to perform the song.
Ringo

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I had a tiny bit of live radio experience when I was a young musician working my way through school. I was playing trumpet in a tiny room with other musicians. We played live jingles and such for local commercials. Sometimes they were written 1/2 hour before we played them.
We had two lights, one was get ready, the other one was you are live and on air.
Sometimes someone would come in and sing a song, we all knew when the lights went out they had gone to commercial and we were off the air, but the singer would keep singing and we played.

My point is, they didn't have to tell him in the first place, just cut it off and deal with his ego later.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sounds like Ringo really needs to get over himself.
Excuse me, Paladin, but it seems to me that if Regis and Kathy have Ringo on their show to perform his new song, they should give him the time it takes to perform the song.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Excuse me, Paladin, but it seems to me that if Regis and Kathy have Ringo on their show to perform his new song, they should give him the time it takes to perform the song.
Ringo
Well I agree but still. That is a really dumb reason to walk off the show. I mean, yeah I would probably have said something politely but to just walk off the show? To me, that signifies tha he really needs to get over himself.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well I agree but still. That is a really dumb reason to walk off the show. I mean, yeah I would probably have said something politely but to just walk off the show? To me, that signifies tha he really needs to get over himself.
Well, to be honest, Ringo has always seemed to be the Beatle with the least amount of ego.

But who knows? From the way it was explained to me, Ringo realized that it wouldn't work and simply said, "God bless".
Ringo

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, to be honest, Ringo has always seemed to be the Beatle with the least amount of ego.

But who knows? From the way it was explained to me, Ringo realized that it wouldn't work and simply said, "God bless".
Ringo
Well at least he said "God bless" instead of just storming off the stage. I can give him that much credit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ringo had MORE than enough warning (months, I believe from CNN) as to how much time he had....this also happened elsewhere and he STILL went over, too.
From the way I understood it, they cut off Ringo's time to perform his song without warning.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Ginny

I like to whisper, too!
Feb 22, 2005
here
✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A spokeswoman for "Regis and Kelly" told the AP the show's producers tried to work with Starr, noting his appearance had been booked since November and the time requirement for the song -- the show's standard -- had been expressed numerous times.--CNN

Even if there was miscommunication between the publicist and him, that is not the show's fault.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A spokeswoman for "Regis and Kelly" told the AP the show's producers tried to work with Starr, noting his appearance had been booked since November and the time requirement for the song -- the show's standard -- had been expressed numerous times.--CNN

Even if there was miscommunication between the publicist and him, that is not the show's fault.
It's not his either.
Ringo

Upvote 0