May 28, 2004
Visit site
✟3,464.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello!

I hope you don't mind, but I am curious whether anyone has insights into a couple of questions I have. They are as follows;
  • Why did Reuben and Gad ask to stay in the land outside of the inheritance God provided?
  • Why did Moses make half of Manasseh stay with them, even though they didn't ask to?
Any thoughts you have are welcome.

Thanks!

jgonz

What G-d calls you to do, He equips you to do.
Feb 11, 2005
El Paso, TX
✟20,780.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
"Why did Reuben and Gad ask to stay in the land outside of the inheritance God provided?"

From what I recall, they asked to stay on this side of the Jordan because the land was so rich and was great for all their livestock. Whether that was in G-d's plan or not, I don't know, but Moses approved the request.

"Why did Moses make half of Manasseh stay with them, even though they didn't ask to?"

I thought they did ask also? I'll have to go read that again...

(sorry I'm not more help!)

Upvote 0

debi b

Senior Veteran
Mar 22, 2004
✟5,479.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Ainesis said:
Why did Reuben and Gad ask to stay in the land outside of the inheritance God provided?

Numbers 32
1 And the sons of Reuben and the sons of Gad had a very great multitude of cattle; and when they saw the land of Jazer, and the land of Gilead, that, behold, the place was a place for cattle; 2 The sons of Gad and the sons of Reuben came and spoke to Moses, and to Eleazar the priest, and to the princes of the congregation, saying, 3 Ataroth, and Dibon, and Jazer, and Nimrah, and Heshbon, and Elealeh, and Shebam, and Nebo, and Beon,4 The country which the Lord struck before the congregation of Israel, is a land for cattle, and your servants have cattle;

These tribes asked for this land that Adonai struck because of their cattle. The fact that Adonai was active in this is important.

Israel wanted to just pass thru, but these kings would not allow it. And Adonai got involved.

Deuteronomy 2: 24 Rise, take your journey, and pass over the brook Arnon; behold, I have given into your hand Sihon the Amorite, king of Heshbon, and his land; begin to possess it, and contend with him in battle.

Deut 3: 1 Then we turned, and went up the way to Bashan; and Og the king of Bashan came out against us, he and all his people, to battle at Edrei.
2 And the Lord said to me, Fear him not; for I will deliver him, and all his people, and his land, into your hand; and you shall do to him as you did to Sihon king of the Amorites, who lived at Heshbon.

Joshua 22: 9 And the sons of Reuben and the sons of Gad and the half tribe of Manasseh returned, and departed from the people of Israel from Shiloh, which is in the land of Canaan, to go to the country of Gilead, to the land of their possession, which they possessed, according to the word of the Lord by the hand of Moses.

Ainesis said:
Why did Moses make half of Manasseh stay with them, even though they didn't ask to?

Numbers 32: 39 And the sons of Machir the son of Manasseh went to Gilead, and took it, and dispossessed the Amorite who was in it.

If the tribe did not want to share in this area of land I think they would not have actively participated in taking possession of it. Even though we may not have a record of a specific request from the half of Manasseh, I think we see their desire to be there because of their actions.

Upvote 0