Reluctance to share the gospel due to conservative dominance

sickntired771

Dec 11, 2014
✟15,989.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Democrat
I wanted to share and see if others are in the same boat for the position im in. I'd love to share the gospel, but am reluctant to do so because I do not want to be associated with the more conservative elements that dominate modern day Christianity. I am in no way passing judgement on conservatives but as a liberal Christian I do not espouse the same views on issues like gay rights and hence don't want to be seen as leading people to what in my view is not the correct way to view scripture.

I want to spread the gospel with the caveat of "hey, I am telling you about the liberal Jesus guy who loved everyone, healed everyone and extends grace" not the Jesus that we so often see portrayed by some missionaries.

What are the thoughts of other liberals?

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have felt similarly. I feel like I say that I'm a Christian, people automatically assume I am judgmental, anti-gay, anti-welfare, etc. I think it's something I need to work because I do not want to be ashamed of my faith, but I also do not want to be automatically written off from relationship because of it. I think the best way to evangelize is to show how you are different, and the term "Christian" nowadays has so many misleading connotations that they will either get the wrong impression of me or think I am a liar.

Upvote 0

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm strongly of the position that one's spiritual beliefs are a private matter.

What that means is, that chances for evangelism are the sort that come from the kinds of deeper, respectful discussions that occur when you actually know somebody well and they are earnestly seeking your opinion. It can also come from showing - in action - what that context is, without saying a thing, and those that see it get curious. And let's be honest, certain denominations are either memetically liberal (like Episcopalians) or most people don't really know what the denomination believes (Methodists get this a lot), and so the automatic response wouldn't necessarily be to lump you in with conservatives. Not saying that's an option here, of course, just in general.

But it's not something that works (or at least, works well) without that context. You can even see this in the Gospels themselves: when you look at the ministry of Jesus himself, it was within the context of actively connecting with people.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Qyöt27;66899710 said:
What that means is, that chances for evangelism are the sort that come from the kinds of deeper, respectful discussions that occur when you actually know somebody well and they are earnestly seeking your opinion.

I agree. The last thing liberal Christians should do is witness to people.

The problem conservative evangelicals make is they reduce working for the Kingdom to making a sales pitch to "unbelievers". This is simply not rooted in a Catholic or Protestant view of vocation, it's rooted in revivalism. There are certain circumstances where "sharing the Gospel"(ie, inviting people to listen to your religious views or go to your church) is appropriate, when somebody has expressed a spiritual need. But other times it can just be grossly inappropriate and even alienate people.

Back to the OP... I would just focus on being salt and light, being Jesus hands and feet in the world. No sales pitches involved, just be a real person. Don't hide your religion, but on the other hand don't try to force it on people.

Upvote 0

Farmer4Christ

Dec 21, 2014
Earth
✟15,234.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
When I accepted Jesus into my heart it was through the Southern Baptist ministry with a very conservative mindset. The political right and this type of Christianity were seamless, and for a long time I believed that you could not hold liberal views such as gay rights, welfare, and so on and be a Christian. The verses that I interpreted in that light was Isaiah 32:5 and 32:8. Apparently, there were some verses in between those numbers that I missed.

A few days ago my fellow farmers and I was talking about evangelical Christians and how they were disgusted with their anti-environmental, welfare, and refusal to give homosexual rights. I of course told them that as a Christian I agree with them. They asked 'Are you a practicing Christian', to which I replied 'not in the conventional sense'. I said that since God created us all we are all part of God, and as such I feel that we ought to come together in love and unity regardless of what might be seen as a division. I work the land in such a way that it doesn't harm it because I see the Earth as part of God, and because I love him.

The issue I have with liberal Christians isn't particularly huge, but I do wish that they were more overt so I could have fellowship with them. Too many churches in my area are conservative, and I am still looking for a church that not only focuses on loving all people, but doesn't focus on a certain neutrality that sometimes comes across as apathetic.

I constantly find myself arguing about the semantics of the word 'Christian' because the loud voices of Conservative Christianity seemingly drowns out everything else to the point where hatred of liberals and terror by hellfire becomes a sort of signature. When I say the word 'Christian' the Koran burnings, Westboro, and even the Republican/Tea Party comes to many people's minds, and the hard part is really showing that not all Christians are like that.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
What a precious thread. Perhaps we can take our lead from Jesus? What did He do, dear brothers and sisters? In the meantime, i accidentally stumbled across this video this morning. I hope you don't mind me sharing it. It deeply effected me and i needed to meditate exactly of what it speaks of. Here it is, and may God bless each of you and grant each of you wisdom, discernment, clarity, and extraordinary favor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_9NTKl_fTg

Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
"How do we share the good news of the loving liberal Jesus we have come to know?"

well, we start out by distancing ourselves from the Fighting Fundamentalists.

I feel just about anyone in this sub-forum can sympathize with the OP

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tess

Not a tame Lion
Jan 12, 2015
England
✟10,899.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I can so relate to this question!
When I tell people I identify as Christian they assume things. It makes me reluctant to talk about it. I find myself saying 'Weelll.... I identify as Christian, but I'm not like a lot of Christians...'

If the problem is the perception of Christianity, then by being reluctant to talk about our faith, we're not helping the problem. We could show people that not all Christians are the same, and be a loving example, but we are hesitating to do so because of what we think they think about the perception of our faith!
It's ironic, really. I guess we should just be braver and be an example of Jesus.

Upvote 0

JackofSpades

Väinämöinen
May 10, 2014
✟1,792.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If the problem is the perception of Christianity, then by being reluctant to talk about our faith, we're not helping the problem. We could show people that not all Christians are the same, and be a loving example, but we are hesitating to do so because of what we think they think about the perception of our faith!

I think it's worth to note that in my country during recent years, because there have been going on major public discussion about position on homosexuality and SSM in state church, it has made public aware that liberal Christianity does exist and is quite popular.

Most people I have talked about religion with nowadays recognize not all Christians are anti-gayrights. When someone comes out of closet as a Christian, people in my experience are more like "so, what you think about these stuff?" than immediatly assume them having conservative position.

Obviously, USA and scandinavia are different places but I just wanted to mention that public assumptions, like people drawing dots such as "Christian = always against SSM" can change over time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Farmer4Christ

Dec 21, 2014
Earth
✟15,234.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Obviously, USA and scandinavia are different places but I just wanted to mention that public assumptions, like people drawing dots such as "Christian = always against SSM" can change over time.

One can hope that things can change.

John 13:34-35 says: A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

All of us here in the U.S. came from a culture of terror, hatred, and suspicion and are adopted into a family of love. Some of us (including me) have a hard time with love, but with enough practice and through the power of Christ it will be more easily and readily shown.

Upvote 0

sickntired771

Dec 11, 2014
✟15,989.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Democrat
I think liberal Christianity is a lot bigger in philosophy than we think, I think the problem is it is splintered among congregations and individuals and isn't organized like the Christian right. There are millions of people who consider themselves Christians who don't espouse certain viewpoints but they are kind of all over the place.

I like that the rightwing is becoming a little more Jesus-like in the sense that they are saying we love everyone even if one is a sinner. That is what Jesus was about, he loved everyone! That being said, its not enough for me to say I love others even if they are sinners. I do but there are many who are labeled as sinners by the conservatives who I do not see as sinners at all. I see many of the conservatives who preach the word of God to be much more sinful in their attempt to collect "tithe" but really are just rolling in their own bank accounts. Jesus was most against the tax collectors and it seems that is very alive and well in Christianity today.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

XtianAgain

Jesus Junkie
Jan 12, 2006
Mississippi Gulf Coast
✟2,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For me personally, it is more of an action based evangelism. Really helping people, feed the poor, loving the downtrodden (LGBTQ included), caring for the ill, soothing the depressed and anxious etc...

Hanging out on a corner, pointing a finger at people walking by, that's easy. Picking the homeless people off the street, that's harder. Speaks volumes. Eventually, someone will question your motives. Because you're a follower of Jesus Christ.Best way to share liberal Christianity imo.

I also tend to be a tad bit confrontation with Conservative types...But, I'm calming a tiny bit with age. Trying to focus on the positive more.

Upvote 0

sickntired771

Dec 11, 2014
✟15,989.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Democrat
Just read a book called "God and the Gay Christian" by Matthew Vines. He is an evangelical but he believes that this is a moment in church history for another reformation and that we are going to begin to see more movement in a liberal way. I tend to agree with him, the church shift is happening quite fast in terms of being more egalitarian, LGBT friendly, focused on social justice and less focused on pointing fingers at people.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
It's hard to predict. It's not unreasonable to see mainline theology and exegesis as being as major a change as the Reformation. However it hasn't done a very good job of getting from academic circles to ordinary Christians.

Certainly the next generation of Christians is going to accept gay Christians. However that doesn't necessarily mean that they are going to accept mainline theology. Christianity throughout history has shown a surprising ability to change interpretations of Scripture, and have the new interpretation become the obvious meaning. I don't know how it will be justified, but I have a feeling that in 50 years just as many Christians will be conservative Christians believing in inerrancy, and they will think that the obvious literal interpretation of Rom 1 says nothing about homosexuality. There's no reason to think that their overall attitudes will differ much from today's conservatives except on this issue.

Upvote 0

Tess

Not a tame Lion
Jan 12, 2015
England
✟10,899.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think liberal Christianity is a lot bigger in philosophy than we think, I think the problem is it is splintered among congregations and individuals and isn't organized like the Christian right. There are millions of people who consider themselves Christians who don't espouse certain viewpoints but they are kind of all over the place.

This is probably very true.

It may also be true that over time Christianity as a whole will become more liberal. LGBT for instance is becoming more and more socially accepted and understood and gradually I think the Church will follow. I hope so at least!

Reactions: Keri
Upvote 0