United States of America
✟18,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Then stop trying. Stop thinking that your actions somehow hold God up in this world. He has never relied on you, you rely on Him. Rather than doing actions to please Him, just do things to His glory. If you can learn to eat a sandwich to the glory of God, then you're doing alright. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Ark100

The Lord is my Refuge
Mar 11, 2012
✟10,421.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
God does not change. Humans are the ones who change.
If you find yourself too lawful, then turn to JESUS the author and finisher of your/our faith. He is the one that can restore you and bring you back down to earth.
Stop trying hard and just relax and submit.

Praise Him, worship Him, Honour Him, that is all that is needed most of the time with God

Upvote 0

SoapnWater

Mar 24, 2013
✟15,182.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I know and thats the very essence of Christ. Is to obey and love him and others. But then you got a ton of works, which arent easy at all. Right now I'm praying for it. Prayer is the power of God. I've been praying some of the older prayers. Like Church doctrine. "please Jesus allow me to empty of me to be filled of you"

Upvote 0

saved24

Forgiven
Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2011
Canada
✟865,192.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Good advice people. :)

Another good thing is to talk to the Lord during the day, like you would a friend. Have a conversation with Him. "Lord thank you for this day." walking down the road, "Lord what a beautiful sky. Thanks." In your car, "Lord I'm having a hard day, please help me." all day long just talk to Him..... it can be casual, but I have learned that having reverence towards Him is important too. The more we talk to Him like this, the more we realize He is always with us, always there. We are practicing His presence.

We may not feel the Lord, but He is always there. God bless.

Upvote 0

manitouscott

Oct 20, 2012
Colorado
✟8,663.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I turned around and looked back upon my path; littered with my failures to avoid sin and the result of my self-effort, self-will and self-reliance. I looked to the path ahead and realized that I no longer could believe in myself for the strength to live a holy life. I had failed utterly and completely to live and be holy on my own strength, reason and will. I had to believe in Jesus. I prayed to the Father and with my small measure of faith asked for His Holy Spirit to come fill me and be my guide and my deliverer. I just kept praying "I surrender, I need you, Lord" over and over.
The law meant nothing anymore, the Helper had come to free me. I now wait on the Lord when I am tempted to come up with a plan or a method to change enough or work enough to not sin. Wait on Him. Let Him tell you what is wrong and what is right.

Surrender.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Like any other relationship - spend more time. "Quality time" doesn't happen because we make quality time. We invest a quantity of time, and in that quantity we find that the quality happens. The only way to build a relationship is to deliberately invest time into it.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,985.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Agree with knee-v.

I've observed that some believers go through periods of time when we feel there's a distance between us and Yahweh. Maybe it's a maturity test to see if we'll continue to love Him and follow Him regardless.

It seems it only last a season.

Upvote 0

ezeric

HE loves me too.
Mar 2, 2010
Canada but really in JESUS! (in HIS Covenant)
Visit site
✟12,835.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And if you are struggling with law, you feel more alienated from the LORD.
That is exactly what scripture says: :You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace." Galatians 5:4

The way out is CHRIST.

Stop doing all the religious churchianity things us christians 'think' we have to do.

INSTEAD

Using faith, rest in the fact of GOD'S LOVE (HE loves you not matter what, and your sins are all taken care of past, present & future, not by your deeds but by the deeds of JESUS).

Resting in his COMPLETE work and not your attempt of doing works.

-eric

Upvote 0

Max Shade

Feb 18, 2013
Eastcoast
✟2,197.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How can I restore my relationship with God? To become friends with him? I feel like we're growing apart. I am far too lawful, so please be careful with any suggestions you give - I don't want to become even more lawful.
Any suggestions to help me better appreciate God?

Are you involved in any ministries to the poor, sick, diseased? If not, doing things your friend enjoys doing with them is a great way to strengthen a friendship (people who like bowling feel closer to their friends when their friends go bowling with them). Look at what Jesus liked to do and go do them, to get closer to Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

episkopos

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
✟8,108.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
You have made the diagnosis. You need a restoration. Arise like the prodigal son did and talk to God. He is a faithful God and will receive you back.
Then you must also find out what made you backslide and keep away
I suggest you read books on backsliding and restoration. for example a book simply entitled "Backsliding"

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,985.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
posted: Any suggestions to help me better appreciate God?

A suggestion is to thank Him for who He is in your life such as "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it." Psa 118:24 "It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness." Lam 3:22-23 "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning." James 1:17 which might include becoming a believer, His love, every breathe, etc.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
He who is forgiven much, loves much. If you are approaching God based on your ability to keep the commandments, it is self-righteousness that denies the need for the Cross and maintains distance from God. But if you approach as a sinner who is forgiven and loved, you will draw near in heart, and love in return. We love because He first loved us.

Upvote 0