• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Really depressed

Breetai

For I am not ashamed of the Gospel...
Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
oh, I suppose it's kind of hard to work out if your disabled. My main point was to get seriously into a hobby and stick with it. I think that it can be most satifying. Plus, you'll meet people doing the same thing as you. Maybe you could volenteer at a church? I sometimes go and help feed under-privilaged kids at an inter-city church here.

Upvote 0

servant4ever

Servant of Jesus Christ
Jan 9, 2004
Saint Paul
✟17,534.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, I do have a date with a girl to a concert, but that isn't until February, who knows, she may still cancel. I have tried so much just to keep one friend. I have literally offerred to drive them home for a weekend if that is what it took. I offerred to buy them free pizza, soda's, whatever they want, just as long as I could be a friend of theirs, but it didn't work out. I am interested in what people have to say, and then when it comes to me to say what I want to say, people look away and have no interest in me. Maybe I just work too hard, or maybe not enough, but I have no idea where I could work on being a better friend. I have seriously looked up websites on how to be a better friend (I know, that sounds dumb and corny, but I am that desperate). I don't know, maybe I will just fail at everything.

servant4ever

Upvote 0

servant4ever

Servant of Jesus Christ
Jan 9, 2004
Saint Paul
✟17,534.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Breetai,

I was thinking of volunteering at the church I attend, but I found out you have to become a member in order to help out, just so that everyone working at the church knows the same vision and mission statement. I still want to be a member of my homechurch, so that is out of the question...

I am really interested in theology and the Bible. I should be a Biblical and Theological Studies Major, but my parents disapprove of that. I try to start up conversations about theology and the Bible, but no one is interested, or it just starts a debate that goes on for weeks. I try to talk about sports, but I have no knowledge in sports, except that the Dallas Cowboys are my favorite team (I received an autographed football from Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin, and others when I was a child). I try to talk about music, but all I listen to is praise and worship and contemporary Christian music, so I have no idea what other people are listening to... It's nearly the same result for everything else.

servant4ever

Upvote 0

Breetai

Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
"I have seriously looked up websites on how to be a better friend." I've done similar things... How to pick up girls... I still laugh at that.

I'm curious, what kind of disability do you have? How's your hygiene? Are you well kept? That can have a big effect on people. Looks shouldn't count so much, but they do.

What are your interests? Some of the best friend that you can have is because they share similar interests with you.

Have some blessings.

Upvote 0

Breetai

Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I little idea about praise music other then the most popular songs, but I LOVE talking religion. I am a religion major in my final year of a BA. I might have a couple of things to say.

It sounds like you need a good group of Christian friends. Easier said then done, I know. Most of my friends are partying fools. If you want to talk religion or anything else that interests you, I'm usually online in the evenings. If you use MSN messenger at all, just add my e-mail to your list. It's in my profile. PM me anytime if you feel like it.

God Bless

Upvote 0

servant4ever

Servant of Jesus Christ
Jan 9, 2004
Saint Paul
✟17,534.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Breetai,

I have a walking disability, I can't walk very far at all, in fact I have to walk with a cane, I have a motorized wheelchair to help me get around campus. My back is bent, I can't stand up straight. My right leg is 4 inches shorter than my left. My doctors claim that my disability is so rare (like 1 in 600,000 disabled people's births or something like that) that it doesn't have a name for it. I would like to lose some weight, I try to stop eating somedays so I could lose weight. I'm not too over weight, like 10 pounds over where my doctor wants me to be. I get my haircut every month, is that all you want?

I love researching the Bible and theology. I love reading theological and discipleship books and Bible commentaries. I know, I sound like a dork... I seriously buy like 6-7 books a month. I like listening to praise and worship music and contemporary christian music. If I have to listen to secular music, I would rather listen to oldies rock or country. I have a great time talking with my Bible professors, sometimes I ask too hard of questions that they don't know how to answer! :D I also like speaking in front of crowds. I am currently a communication major (like one of 6 guys in the major, not doing it for the girls), I am like the only person to keep the whole class's attention during my whole speech (which is hard to do!). I also love serving Jesus in all I can possibly do...

servant4ever

Upvote 0

Breetai

Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I get my haircut every month, is that all you want?
That more then I get mine cut. ;)

I had a friend when I lived in dorms who had a walking disability (not as crazy as yours!). He often neglected to shower, shave, etc. Therefore he was not very plesant to be around. It doesn't seem like you're that crazy, so you probably don't need to worry about it.

I'm serious about a good theology discussion with you, if you desire. Feel from to use MSN Messenger or PM me. That works too. PMing is a good idea I think. We could have quite a bit of time to find good answers.

Take Care

Upvote 0

tj179

Spirit filled
Nov 8, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟190.00
Faith
Christian
Quote;
(I try to talk about sports, but I have no knowledge in sports, except that the Dallas Cowboys are my favorite team )

There is your whole problem. I feel bad that you have to suffer through life as a Cowboys fan. :blush:

I am going to be praying for you and I know that the grace of God will pull you through this rough time in your life and you will be a stronger christian because of it.
Try and remember that when we focus on ourselves it brings about feelings that are not good. It leaves an open door for Satan to start controling our thoughts.
Remember that you are one of Gods children and that is something to be excited about. Just repeat to yourself- GOD CHOOSE ME!!! I am the Head and not the tail!!! If God brings you to it He will bring you through it. Trust in God with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding.
By the way I hope you know I was just kidding about being a Cowboys fan;)
May God bless you in the near future,
TJ

PS- Did you know that Micheal Irvin gave his heart to the Lord? I saw a show on the 700 club that showed him praising God with his family at a church. He said he has just as much desire now to serve the Lord as he had to play football. Praise be to God that he chooses the worst of us to fulfill His plans.

Upvote 0

Stanfi

Senior Veteran
Aug 22, 2003
West Virginia
✟17,821.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
servant4ever,

Are you taking any medication for your depression. If you are not, I would recommend it. I've have been taking lexapro for about 8 months now, and it has really helped.

You also need to eat a proper diet, and excercise. If nothing else just go outside and walk around. That really helps. If you are having trouble sleeping, the medication can help that.

Seek God's face, read and pray. Get sincere with God. Learn what triggers your depression, and avoid these situations at all possible.

One the key breakthroughs that I had was that I realized that I was not putting God first.

Recovering from depression is not easy, and it can take some time, but you have to want to get better, and use some self discipline and you will start feeling better.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

servant4ever

Servant of Jesus Christ
Jan 9, 2004
Saint Paul
✟17,534.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hello,

I just want you to know that I am not able to take medicine, for financial reasons. My parents have me in their insurance plan, and if they find out I am depressed, I will be labelled as "crazy" in my household. I can't afford to pay for it on my own, I am only a college student getting a paycheck every 2 weeks that barely gets me through. I am not able to walk very far since I am disabled, I get too tired when walking from my room to the, what we call it here at college, the shack, the main room where the hall can hang out, play foosball, etc, kinda like a small student center, for the individual reisdent halls.

servant4ever

Upvote 0

servant4ever

Servant of Jesus Christ
Jan 9, 2004
Saint Paul
✟17,534.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I just give up,

There is no reason to want to keep living... I am just sick of being the person that has no friends... yes, people talk to me on this board, but I just want friends I can do things with, friends here at school... another lonely weekend starts, how wonderful!!! (sarcastic) What have I done wrong? I must have done something to make people not like me. I try to put them first, then I never get invited to do anything, everything I do is alone, I attend a church with many people from my school attend there, and I sit alone, people never invite me to come sit with them, there is no specific college area, the college people are scattered throughout the worship center. I have been thinking of starting a home-based Bible study, but then I know people won't show up, so it will be me doing the bible study by myself. I go to chapel alone, I go to dinner and lunch alone, I even watch movies alone (I know, dumb, movies are meant to be watched with other people). I sometimes even go to concerts and the movie theaters alone, just so I get out of this lonely room. I invite people to go with me, other than the girl I asked, I have always been denied. I guess this is my life, being a lonely person... people say that this time of my life (college) is the time you make the best friends of your life and the best time of your life... Well, I have a fun future to look forward to, can it get worse than this?

servant4ever

Upvote 0

desi

Aug 20, 2003
La Vista
✟4,540.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
servant4ever said:
I just give up,

There is no reason to want to keep living... I am just sick of being the person that has no friends... yes, people talk to me on this board, but I just want friends I can do things with, friends here at school... another lonely weekend starts, how wonderful!!! (sarcastic) What have I done wrong? I must have done something to make people not like me. I try to put them first, then I never get invited to do anything, everything I do is alone, I attend a church with many people from my school attend there, and I sit alone, people never invite me to come sit with them, there is no specific college area, the college people are scattered throughout the worship center. I have been thinking of starting a home-based Bible study, but then I know people won't show up, so it will be me doing the bible study by myself. I go to chapel alone, I go to dinner and lunch alone, I even watch movies alone (I know, dumb, movies are meant to be watched with other people). I sometimes even go to concerts and the movie theaters alone, just so I get out of this lonely room. I invite people to go with me, other than the girl I asked, I have always been denied. I guess this is my life, being a lonely person... people say that this time of my life (college) is the time you make the best friends of your life and the best time of your life... Well, I have a fun future to look forward to, can it get worse than this?

servant4ever
It sounds like you try to make friends but they do not reciprocate. As you are physically different you have something to overcome. While this is not easy you can do it, even if you have to look to make friends. There must be other people whom you can identify with. Finding them is key.

Upvote 0

Breetai

Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I don't know. Maybe you can try a different church this Sunday. Go to a charismatic one, people there are usually really nice. Strike up a conversation with someone. Make it your goal to spread the gospel of Jesus to as many people as possible. Live for Jesus. Sometimes the thing that keeps me going is that there are so many people who aren't saved, haven't heard the good news of salvation. I want to bring as many people to Christ, to heaven, as I can.

Matthew 28:19-2019

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Hebrews 12:1-3,7-8

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father? If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sweetpea3333

sweetpea
Jan 17, 2004
✟129.00
Faith
Christian
hi serviant4ever,
I'm so sorry that you feel so sad at the moment,I to have been through depression many times some worse than others; but I have always come back a little stronger than before and you will to,although it might not seem like it at the moment. I can tell you having been through uni, your friends are probably very insecure in themselves,and it may not necessarily be about you. They probably may think that you are a kind and forgiving person and therefore they feel you are an easy target to make them feel better about themselves. There are many different types of people in the world and nor you or I will fit in with all of them,unfortunetly it's a learning process about ourselves and others,and very often it's painful,usaully for the kinder people in the world. The reason you should carry on is because at times life can be extremely joyful, exciting,rewarding; but you have to take the bitter with the sweet and there definetly will be sweet times for you. I have self-harmed and to be honest it doesn't help you in the long run,so I don't advice it,if anything it makes things alot worse. There are people out there that will help you,and there are people who will think you are the most interesting fun person,although I know it seems like that will never happen at the moment. You can not always mend yourself, sometimes others have to help you,often they will be complete strangers.Try your doctor,the church,maybe the college has a student counsellor or there maybe a womens counselling group in your area; your not alone in feeling like this and you shouldn't feel ashamed to ask for some help,you owe it to yourself;you may in turn be able to help someone else. I'm here to talk to and I'm your friend. take care

Reactions: rainy
Upvote 0