✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, I mean a chimp.

Adding a chimp to the statue adds appropriate perspective on a man that was always a B-grade actor, who played his assigned part competently at best.
I don't recal Gorbachev doing any acting. Can you link to any of his movies (hopefully they're subtitled)

Upvote 0

reverend B

Senior Veteran
Feb 23, 2004
North Carolina
✟16,408.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Others
I don't recal Gorbachev doing any acting. Can you link to any of his movies (hopefully they're subtitled)
i missed the humor. he said not gorbachev, and you pretend he is talking about gorbachev as if you have caught him in some non-existant gaff, hoping we are all too foolish to recognize that the gaff is yours.
oh wait.
that IS funny!

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, not "the Poles" but "some Poles" and historians of Russian politics and elements with our own intelligence of that era agree with me. :)
I guess that's why they want a statue of Reagan, because he didn't win the cold war and their freedom along with it. :scratch:

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
This is quite an honor for the legacy of Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan and Pope John Paul II made for a pretty good one-two punch for Polish freedom. They fostered the Poles dream of freedom and provided the Polish people with hope. they demonstrated that opposition to communism was taking the moral high ground.

Lech Walesa, who I am sure that Poles have already honored over the years, was the final straw that completely destroyed the myth that communist government was a labor government. When the world saw the workers rising up against these supposed proletariat regimes, it was essentially all over. The fact that the Soviets essentially bankrupted themselves trying to keep up with Reagan's investments into military
led even the Soviets to understand that the tide of history was closing in on them.

Unlike what the Soviets had to offer, the freedom that Ronal Reagan stood for was real autonomy for Poland-and not just the exchanging of one form of tyranny for another.

Good on the Poles for recognizing that their liberation from the Nazis and their ilk was not realized until JP2 amd RR teamed up together and actually succeeded in tearing down the Iron Curtain that kept Poland imprisoned long after the Nazis were defeated.

Reactions: Voegelin
Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
. . .Good on the Poles for recognizing that their liberation from the Nazis and their ilk was not realized until JP2 amd RR teamed up together and actually succeeded in tearing down the Iron Curtain that kept Poland imprisoned long after the Nazis were defeated.

And Thatcher! :thumbsup:

Quite a coincidence three world leaders with the same vision for humanity were all in a position to advance that vision at the same time.

Wish more Eastern European and Baltic state history were available in English. Like to know more about the resistence to atheistic communism after WWII. Catholics in Lithuanian I understand were fighting until the early 1950s when the Soviets called in Chechyan troops to exterminate them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
And Thatcher! :thumbsup:

Quite a coincidence three world leaders with the same vision for humanity were all in a position to advance that vision at the same time.

Wish more Eastern European and Baltic state history were available in English. Like to know more about the resistence to atheistic communism after WWII. Catholics in Lithuanian I understand were fighting until the early 1950s when the Soviets called in Chechyan troops to exterminate them.
Thatcher really had leadership skills too. She really pulled Britain out of the mire it was in at the time, and showed what could be accomplished with through just sheer determination and strength of will.

I can't remember what role she played in the liberation of Poland, but the ties between England and Poland have always been strong ones. It was the invasion of Poland that brought Britain into the Second World War after all.

I haven't heard much about the Baltics resistance. The Hungarian resistance was crushed by the Soviets in the 1956, and I still remember seeing images of the Russian tanks rolling into Czechoslovakia in 1968.

But really, with such strong leadership as John Paul II, and Margaret Thatcher, and Ronald Reagan reinvigorating the west, the collapse of the Soviet was a very important turning point in history. It just shows how far leadership can go in changing the course of history. Just at the moment when Viet Nam seemed like it might be the beginning of the end, the appearance of strong leaders on the scene who actually had some real values and goals were able to turn things around 180 degrees.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
One evil empire collapses; another swoops in and takes its place...
NATO is a good thing for Poland. A thousand or so years of history just show how vulnerable the Poles have always been to being carved away on all sides by her rapacious neighbours. It will do well for the Poles to be part of an organzation that doesn't just see the plains of Poland as prime real estate.
I wonder though, if the Poles would not like to have closer ties to America than they already have, at least economically?
It really would be a stretch to see America as an occupying force in Poland at any rate. This is nothing like the case of the evils of the Nazi pagans being displaced by the evils of the athiestic communists. Pope Paul II was certainly disappointed that the Poles did not follow his desires and re establish themselves as nation of Catholics with the Catholic values that guided his life. the Poles were just too much in love with their abortions that became the vogue under the athiests and the lure of western blue jeans and material goods for all that.

Still, this time it was the Poles choosing for themselves. Reagan was just not an occupier of Poland at all. And freedom includes the freedom to sin-God forbid!- after all.
They are in the same boat now, as all of the rest of us. the good news is that with freedom we and they are still in a position to turn this boat around.:)

Upvote 0

Defensor Fidei

Jan 8, 2005
New York
✟4,207.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Green
I can't remember what role she played in the liberation of Poland, but the ties between England and Poland have always been strong ones. It was the invasion of Poland that brought Britain into the Second World War after all.
The ties were real strong when the British sold out Poland to Molotov and Ribbentrop in order to further their own war goals...

NATO is a good thing for Poland. A thousand or so years of history just show how vulnerable the Poles have always been to being carved away on all sides by her rapacious neighbours. It will do well for the Poles to be part of an organzation that doesn't just see the plains of Poland as prime real estate.
I wonder though, if the Poles would not like to have closer ties to America than they already have, at least economically?
Poland does not belong in NATO. NATO should not even exist anymore, much less be extending its tentacles to the former Soviet sphere of influence.

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Just at the moment when Viet Nam seemed like it might be the beginning of the end, the appearance of strong leaders on the scene who actually had some real values and goals were able to turn things around 180 degrees.

What many America people didn't see because of our press but what Reagan, Thatcher and John Paul (among others) knew was that there was a mirror image of what Nam did to the west occurring in the east. Czechs had had their fill of working in munitions plants, of not having consumer items, of "guest workers" from North Vietnam move into their country to pay off the debts the North owed for weapons. There were true believers in the Eastern block at the start of the 60s, Vietnam decreased their numbers greatly.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Lech Walesa had some praise for Reagan back in 2004 that is very pertinent to the topic at hand.

"When talking about Ronald Reagan, I have to be personal. We in Poland took him so personally. Why? Because we owe him our liberty. This can't be said often enough by people who lived under oppression for half a century, until communism fell in 1989.
Poles fought for their freedom for so many years that they hold in special esteem those who backed them in their struggle. Support was the test of friendship. President Reagan was such a friend. His policy of aiding democratic movements in Central and Eastern Europe in the dark days of the Cold War meant a lot to us. We knew he believed in a few simple principles such as human rights, democracy and civil society. He was someone who was convinced that the citizen is not for the state, but vice-versa, and that freedom is an innate right..."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Law of Loud

Apparently a Librul Moonbat <[wash my mouth][wa
Aug 31, 2004
Seattle
✟10,493.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Lenin-statue-in-Fremont.jpg

Welcome to Seattle.

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Why post a statue of Lenin on a Christian forum anyways? Unlike the subject of this OP, Lenin despised the faith and over a million Christians were murdered under his leadership (which was just the start of what he started). No moral difference between the CPSU and the NSDAP.

Upvote 0